NEED HELP! dieting and exercise not working.

Options

Replies

• EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food on a small capacity food scale if not already. More than likely your taking in much more than you think you are by using volume measurements.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    hey there every one, so iv been doing this for about 19 days (15 on mfp and 4 on another site before this) i started at 290 i lost 7 pounds but now its all come back. Yes im following mfp, i ALWAYS have calories remaining when i complete an entry, i burn what it tells me i should and more most days. I am eating healthy food, though im sure i could eat healthier but i eat as healthy as i can. i have even tried the protein shakes to help me feel full longer and they don't do anything for me at all. I ALWAYS feel hungry even when i eat back my calories burned. for work outs i use a stationary bike till my butt hurts or my child yells for me. i run in place as long as i can or until my asthma acts up and i do crunches and push ups (girl style) every few days and iv been walking a lot more, i live in a neighborhood with tons of hills so walking is a pretty good work out. i just really don't know what to do. i want to make this life style change but im only 3 weeks in an its already not working so PLEASE HELP!!

Relax!
    Your body is adjusting to all the things you are putting it through!
    It will start kicking in..give it time!
    As for the protein shakes..you may need to try a Whey/Casein blend (like I use). It will keep you fuller, longer...and protein helps repair muscle damage from exercise. I use Dymatize Elite Gourmet Whey/Casein Blend. Here's the link:
    www.dymatize.com

Stick with it...don't give up! Leave the scale alone! Measure yourself...see how your clothes feel....log your exercise, and look back at what you are able to accomplish now.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your diary, it seems like you'll have to start making small changes. I agree with everyone that said to watch your sodium, try not to add quick add calories, and try to cut out the processed and fast food. Don't be discouraged, you don't have to make ALL of these changes all at once. Start with one thing at a time. Maybe the easiest is to try and drink more water. Work on that for a week, then move on to another small change. Don't try and do it all at once, no one can do that much change at once and be successful. It's just too hard. For me, I started with the water. I drank a glass first thing in the morning, and tried to choose water over soda at least once a day. Now i rarely drink soda bc im so used to water. Then i started to change one meal at a time. Logically I started with breakfast. I found healthy, easy options that worked for my schedule, and I eat almost the same thing every day. (I switch it up usually each week, but for that week I pretty much eat the same thing but maybe with different ingredients, for example, I make a smoothie but switch up the fruits). Slowly but surely, you will learn more, get new recipes and find what works for you. My advice is to read as much as you can about nutrition and just try LOTS of things. If something doesn't work for you, change it until it does.

Best of luck to you, and if you ever feel discouraged, know you're not alone and that we are all dealing with the same issues, or we wouldn't be here!
  • justmel4now
    justmel4now Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love that everyone has an opinion, but the only fact is figuring out by trial and error what works for you. So try different suggestions, but keep the constant of adequate water intake, that's a fact. :smile:
  • pea2pod
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your diary, it seems like you'll have to start making small changes. I agree with everyone that said to watch your sodium, try not to add quick add calories, and try to cut out the processed and fast food. Don't be discouraged, you don't have to make ALL of these changes all at once. Start with one thing at a time. Maybe the easiest is to try and drink more water. Work on that for a week, then move on to another small change. Don't try and do it all at once, no one can do that much change at once and be successful. It's just too hard. For me, I started with the water. I drank a glass first thing in the morning, and tried to choose water over soda at least once a day. Now i rarely drink soda bc im so used to water. Then i started to change one meal at a time. Logically I started with breakfast. I found healthy, easy options that worked for my schedule, and I eat almost the same thing every day. (I switch it up usually each week, but for that week I pretty much eat the same thing but maybe with different ingredients, for example, I make a smoothie but switch up the fruits). Slowly but surely, you will learn more, get new recipes and find what works for you. My advice is to read as much as you can about nutrition and just try LOTS of things. If something doesn't work for you, change it until it does.

Best of luck to you, and if you ever feel discouraged, know you're not alone and that we are all dealing with the same issues, or we wouldn't be here!

^^^ AGREED! It helped me a lot, too, to check fast food restaurant nutrition information so that I could still choose something that wouldn't be incredibly unhealthy or calorie/fat filled if I went. For example, I still go to Taco Bell, but now I get their fiesta taco salad (no sour cream) and don't eat the shell. Saves a couple of hundred calories and it's good. At McDonald's, choose a grilled chicken wrap. Remember grilled or baked is always better than fried and to watch your starches (potatoes, pastas, white breads, etc.). I pretty much totally gave up soda and stick to iced tea or water. No chips or candy if I can at all avoid it. Good luck to you!! Give it lots of time, and I'm sure you'll see results!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    When I first started out on MFP I would lose a ton of weight and gain it all right back, then I would give up and stop logging for a couple of months and start all over again. I have found that it all really has to do with knowing EXACTLY what you put into your body and that means more than just calories. You need to track carbs, fats, protein, sodium, sugars... you really need to know for sure how much you are taking in and what calories are comming from what in your diet. Also I have my activity level set at sedentary, but even then I never ever log things like house cleaning or moving furniture or a day at clinicals, because it is all relative. The intensity that you clean your house will be different that the intensity that I clean mine. For me MFP underestimates calories burned in an exercise, but for most people it overestimates, the only way to know for sure is to wear a heart rate monitor everywhere. I've looked over your diary and I think the problem is just that it isn't specific enough. Don't just add quick calories, figure out how to log them with all the nutrient information and if someone else has entered something into the database, don't just trust that it is correct, investigate it yourself. All of these things are very important.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your diet is abysmal. Try shopping around the perimeter of the food store instead of the aisles. You will never be able to achieve sustainable weight loss and life long health unless you eat better. This is as simply as it can be said:
    1.) Eat mostly plants
    2.) Eat lean proteins
    3.) Eat healthy fats
    4.) Stop eating processed food

This...you have lots of convenience foods, and lots of high calorie meals. Add veggies, lean protein, healthy fat. Stop eating fast food, chocolate, etc.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I'm probably repeating everyone else here but, track your sugar and sodium intake and drink plenty of water. Try to avoid eating take out food like McDonalds and subway, whilst subway are just sandwiches I was shocked at how much sodium one I had a while back had in it.

Also do you use a HRM when you exercise? If so ignore this but you say you eat back your exercise calories (and I've seen you do mostly from your diary) but if you are going by MFP's suggestion of what you burnt then minus about 25% of those calories away from it, just assume you're burning less (even if it's untrue and you're burning more) since you might find you are overeating because MFP tells you you burnt Xcalories when really you only burnt Ycalories.

Also do avoid quick add calories, it really won't help you in the long run since you won't know what nutrients your body is getting form food that way. Also like someone else said the calorie content is always an estimate for these things so give yourself a bit of space for if it underestimated the calories in something.

You might find you think a protein shake does nothing for you purely because (and I might be wrong because I don't know what the quick add calories come from) you don't get anywhere near enough protein, I mean everyone says 1g protein for every lb of lean body mass, but ignoring that and just looking at what MFP has set your protein as you don't eat enough. I aim for 100g protein a day, I generally hit around 70-80g, that's less then my lean body mass but it's just a rough number for me to hit and I tend to look at my dairy once I've had lunch and if my protein is lacking I'll plan out dinner and snacks to include lots of protein to boost it up. Protein keeps me full :D
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry all the time then as others have said, eat less carbs and sugar and eat lots more proteins and vegetables. Avoid all processed food as much as possible since they contain lots of sodium and result in your body retaining water.

In the macros you are tracking, you might want to track sodium as well.

If you are still plateaued after 3-4 weeks of doing this AND you think you have been eating fewer calories, then you are doing your calorie counting wrong.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    The only way we can actually give you helpful advice is if you open your diary - otherwise, all we can tell you is to eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drink plenty of water, and move your body.

what she said
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    Start weighing your food on a small capacity food scale if not already. More than likely your taking in much more than you think you are by using volume measurements.

do this!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Stop with the McDonalds, Subway and Pizza hut. These are not GOOD calories at all. I'd say the same for the V8 juice, there's too much sodium.

I would imagine that keeping your calories the same, but cutting out the junk and replacing with clean food will make a difference on it's own.

If your workouts are not intense enough, then don't eat the calories back.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    I just looked at exercise diary as well, I think that some of those caloric numbers are too high, you are probably eating back too many calories.

15 minutes on the bike at a slow pace says 170-180 calories? I weigh 200 lbs and I can only burn 300 or so calories in 25 minutes of very high intense spinning (average of 150-160bpm)
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are not logging any water intake. Are you getting the recommended 8 cups per day? I think you should add sodium intake to your diary. I bet it would be over every day with the pizza hut, crackers and the like that you are eating. Sodium helps the body retain water, especially without adequate fluid intake.

I urge you to go to www.foodpyramid.gov or choosemyplate.gov. This will guide you in what you should be eating on a daily basis.

Also, caution to what MFP databases give you for exercise expenditure. If it gives you more calories than what you really earned and then eat those 'exercise' calories back, you are sabotaging your efforts. AND check calories for yourself when it comes to the food. I have looked up food and have found different calories for the same thing. Create your own recipes if you cook.

Question: you had a turkey sandwich for lunch 2 days in a row..... how can you eat 1.01 or 1.06 of a sandwich?

Remember: ACCURACY AND DEDICATION WILL LEAD TO SUCCESS!!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Watch the sodium, DRINK WATER, and start cooking your own meals....it will be good for your whole family. If you are a stay at home mom, plan healthy meals with lean protein sources and fresh vegetables. If you're eating fast food, chances are your daughter is, too. Introduce her to fun crunchy snacks like carrots, sugar snap peas, and celery, fresh fruit and nuts. If you are in a hurry in the morning, an egg white omelet for breakfast takes almost no time at all- certainly less than the mcdonald's drive-through. Add some pre-shredded lite cheese and a slice of whole wheat toast, and you're set!

Do you have a scale to weigh food? That would be a great help to cut back on the quick-add calorie "guesstimates."

Re: your exercise diary- Understand that two minutes on an exercise bike likely will not burn 45 calories, and that six minutes probably doesn't burn 135cal, and light cleaning for two hours probably doesn't burn 636cal. Make sure you haven't listed yourself as more active than you actually are- anything less than sedentary assumes some sort of movement/physical work and calculates it into your total base calories. For example, I list myself as "lightly active" because I coach figure skating 7 days a week- I am not super active on the ice, though I spend the whole time on my feet and may be skating some of the time. I figure I'm pretty efficient and skating requires little effort due to the fact that I have been doing it for 30 years. However by listing myself as "lightly active" I don't count the time I skate, choreograph, lift my students on the pole harness, etc. It is a shortcut so that I don't have to stop a lesson and say "hey, let me check out my HRM for the last 15 minutes that I was really skating with you rather than standing around." If you are lightly active this probably assumes cooking, cleaning, (and chasing around your daughter. :smile: )

Also, feel free to add me as a friend, and I will help you stay on top of this.
  • KansasRain
    Options
    the quick added calories are from things i wouldn't find in the database, but i ALWAYS used the label to get my info and i didn't add the rest of the info such as sodium fat and everything because i have a 1.5 yr old and don't always have the time, also mfp never seemed to save the info one the few that i did complete. also i dont drink pop or anything, i do have juice because i just cant force myself to drink water, its ALWAYS tasted and smelled like fish to me, even bottled water.so yes i know i need to drink more water and i try hard. i also don't use any salt on my food anymore, other then whats it in already. the ice cream and chocolate were valentines day and well another part of the month that i just couldn't resist it. i know my food's aren't as healthy as they could be but compared to what i use to eat they are amazing and iv new to this so i don't really know much about making up a healthy diet another thing i need help on. also for everyone telling me to do weights, i don't have access to any. memberships are really expensive and i have no one to watch my kid while i go. also for the few who think this is about loosing weight for vanity its not. i have a child and im over weight, i cant play with her with out getting winded or tired, that's not fair to her or to myself so im doing this for her and for my health. the weight thing is just a bonus, but its confusing because i don't understand why doing what i have been doing helped me loose the weight and though i haven't changed what im doing im gaining it all back.

i am thankful for all the advice and if someone would like to email me a list of healthier foods and where to get them in Canada that would be awesome. if you could even send me a link to a site that could automatically generate me a menu plan for the month or something i would follow it. i just find soooooo many different solutions and options on here and any other site that its just more confusing. im trying it might not seem like much to a lot of you but to me it really has been a huge change in life style. i am open to all suggestions though.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    What kind of juice? Are you logging those calories as well?

Googling will find you a thousand healthy diets, but just use commonsense, fast food is bad, fresh food is better.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I dont know how tall you are, but 1600 calories seems like too much. I do not eat back my earned calories, I eat right at the recommended 1200 for the day and that is how I have been finally been able to move the weight!

Really? When I was the OPs size I was eating 1800 and losing.
    Sorry, but your diet is abysmal. Try shopping around the perimeter of the food store instead of the aisles. You will never be able to achieve sustainable weight loss and life long health unless you eat better. This is as simply as it can be said:
    1.) Eat mostly plants
    2.) Eat lean proteins
    3.) Eat healthy fats
    4.) Stop eating processed food

Crap. This is NOT needed to lose weight. The OP can improve what she's eating (more fruit and begs for sure) but one does not need to eat clean to lose weight.

I normally hate delisting but this is perfect.

OP there's a lot of advice here the best one I can advise is drink water. I had days I had to scrunch up my face and force myself to drink it. I HATED water. It has no taste and felt yuk. It's still not my favorite drink but seven months down the track I crave it. If I don't get my 2L a day I feel yuk. Start with two glasses a day and build up. If you do go over on sodium it helps flush it out too!

For weights you can do body weight exercises. Or use your baby ;-p If you Google 'at home strength exercises' you will find stuff to do.

I started about 10lbs heavier than you and have lost 63lbs. I do Jenny Craig so cant help with mains but I eat a lot of fruit, tuna and so on. If you wish add me and I can try to help.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Most have pointed out the obvious but something I noticed right off the bat: you listed some cereal for breakfast. . . what about milk? Did you add a dash of sugar?! leaving little things like that out can really add up! I used to forget to add dressings and condiments, and when I finally did, it came out to an additional 400 cals a day!!! Thats a lot!!! Make sure you are logging evvv-eeerrr-yyyy-thing! p.s. I am a HUGE chocolate fan too!!! I switched to dark, as it is slightly better!! Hope that helps!!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump