almonds

Options
hi i have heard so many different things about almonds ??/ are almonds good or bad for you ?? what's your take on this ??
thanks

Replies

• jmaffett
    Options
    Almonds - in MODERATION - are good for you. They have healthy oils.

A small handful of almonds is GOOD.

A tin of almonds is BAD. Which is why I don't buy them ... I can't stop at the handful point!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ^^this. I always buy them still in the shell, so I have to work for them. Otherwise I could eat a whole tin/bag.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I eat them everyday (measured portions, of course).
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    I get the 100 calorie pack almonds, that way I don't eat too many. I eat a pack after I do my Zumba class.
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone i really wasn't sure on these the 100 cal packs or the ones in the shells sounds great.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get the 100 calorie pack almonds, that way I don't eat too many. I eat a pack after I do my Zumba class.

I do this too. I keep them in my car so I only eat them after a workout at the gym.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    raw almonds are my go to. Trader Joe's sells them in portion size packs, they are 210 calories for a decent portion. Keeps me in check.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I keep them in my desk at work preportioned in 1/4 cup size in baggies and only allow myself one serving per day if the craving calls. Always good to have a snack on hand so I'm not tempted to go to the machines and buy something crappy!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Almonds (along with almost all nuts) are very good for you. Almonds are especially good as they are lower carbs and tend to satisfy for longer. You just have to remember a serving size is 1oz. I buy large container at Sam's Club and portion them out using my food scale into the ziploc snack bags and then store in tupperware container in the freezer or refrigerator.
  • asiahunnie
    Options
    I love the buying them still in the shell idea. Goona have to try that.... Im one of those eat the entire bag type of people as well :( Working on the self restraint thing still
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good for you! My Dr. told me to eat a small handful every day to help with my good cholesterol. I buy a big bag and measure out 1/4 cup (about 14 almonds) and bag then individually. I then grab 1 bag each day to eat. 160 calories of eating pleasure!
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    lmonds are one of the best snacks to eat. Healthy fats!! Just do not over indulge - 12 - 15 almonds are plenty.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Almonds are a decent snack. Just a handful of plain ones per day to help combat bad cholesterol. Also decent protein for the amount you eat for post resistance training.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use sliced almonds -- added to cereal or pancakes, as a topping for salads instead of croutons...so many uses.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds every day as source of healthy fat and also because they taste awesome. But the pre-portioned packs are way too pricey for me. I buy roasted, unsalted almonds in bulk and portion them when I get home. Then I have a whole load of grab and go portions all set. The almonds are normally priced at $5.99/lb but I usually stock up when they're on sale for $3.99/lb (They'll keep in the freezer just fine, just wrap them in foil so they don't absorb flavors).

I get about 22 ,120 calorie, portions from a pound of almonds. (or you could get about 27, 100 cal portions) So 22-27 bags of almonds for $3.99 compared to 7 bags for $3.50 in the pre-packed boxes. Way worth the little bit of time it takes me to portion out my almonds. :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    One measured portion/day is great for you. And they are so filling!! When I eat them, I eat around 20.

Probably those 100 calorie packs would be great for you. I know that 20 is around 170 calories.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    They're good for you. They have healthy fats and protein. Don't eat too much though as they are high in calories.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I eat some sort of nut everyday as a snack, walnuts have the highest omega3's but almonds are good and I even enjoy some of the flavored ones you can get.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good for you in moderation as others have stated. Maybe try the 100 calorie almond packets or if you get a bigger bag just know that 14 almonds is 100 calories. I also love pecans but there are 100 calories in only 8 pecans. The fat contained in nut is a good fat but you still don't want to go crazy with them because too many can hinder weight loss.
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds every day as source of healthy fat and also because they taste awesome. But the pre-portioned packs are way too pricey for me. I buy roasted, unsalted almonds in bulk and portion them when I get home. Then I have a whole load of grab and go portions all set. The almonds are normally priced at $5.99/lb but I usually stock up when they're on sale for $3.99/lb (They'll keep in the freezer just fine, just wrap them in foil so they don't absorb flavors).

I get about 22 ,120 calorie, portions from a pound of almonds. (or you could get about 27, 100 cal portions) So 22-27 bags of almonds for $3.99 compared to 7 bags for $3.50 in the pre-packed boxes. Way worth the little bit of time it takes me to portion out my almonds. :)
    that sound like a great ideal thanks for all the information and prices. !!! i will have to do that.