Advice on buying barbell set

Options
I'm in the UK and have just started the NROFLW. I want to buy a barbell set today! Is it worth buying iron as opposed to vinyl? I'm on a budget, but don't want to make a false economy and get something that won't last well.

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! Thanks Jen, but it looks like nobody!
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    For a barbell set, just get a cheap used Ivanko Olympic set. Those things are made of steal and cast iron, they will last longer then you do if they aren't rusted.
    or are you referring to dumbbells?
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No real advice on what to buy, but do go and have a look on ebay. There are loads of weights/power racks/benches and whatnot on there, for a fraction of the retail price, as long as you have the means to go and pick them up.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but just got back from Argos. Bought (cheapest) cast iron barbell set in the end, as have had vinyl dumbbells before that didn't last well.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of Reebok adjustable's, from 2 to 25 pounds, depends on how much you're looking to lift.
    They are $60.00 a piece US, but very well built. Mine are two years old and not one problem. they are very nice and I believe they are stainless steel.
  • sradis
    sradis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. They are adjustable from 5 up to 52.5. They are moderately expensive, but cheaper than buying multiple sets of dumbbells for different weights you may need.