How do you count the weights you use?

Options
When people say stuff like 'I squat with a hundred pounds', is it usual to count the bar weight, or not?

For instance, I'm trying to get decent form on my squats. I use 2 x 10kg (so 44lb) on a 45lb bar. Is that 44lb or 89lb?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Count the bar, you're lifting it!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You always count the bar.
  • scottishhighlander
    Options
    Agreed count he bar too
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Cool. I suddenly sound so much more impressive! :-)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Count the bar, and in metric. Arcaic measurements are confusing
  • meerkat70
    Options
    i'm a metric baby. But most people don't seem to understand what I mean when I speak in kilos.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Make sure your bar is the weight you think it is. A standard Men's Olympic barbell weighs 44.1lbs (20kg) and a Woman's Olympic barbell weighs 33.07lbs (15kg).
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Yeah i know. it's an Olympic bar. no women's bars at my gym.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I wondered what that thing was for. I'm still wondering. But I was annoyed that one of the few full bars were being taken up by a granny and her personal trainer when she could've been using the smaller one. I guess the real reason is to save money, as the smaller bars are cheaper.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Always count the bar :)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Back to the subject, some people just say how much they were lifting a side. This is due to maths being difficult for these people.

Some only state how many plates on each side, usually referring to 20kg or the closest imperial weight. This is because counting is a challenge for them.