eating out at chili's

Options
I went out to eat last night at Chili's. Now, I know they have healthier options, but really does a hamburger have to set you back 1200 calories? I don't really find their healthier options very appetizing. Their steamed vegetables are uninspiring at best. On top of that if you eat at Chili's with your family, you are only setting your kids up to eat poorly. It is ironic to me they run a banner ad ont is site. It is kind of like the devil speaking from your shoulder. Has any one had anything low calorie at Chili's that they really liked?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat last night at Chili's. Now, I know they have healthier options, but really does a hamburger have to set you back 1200 calories? I don't really find their healthier options very appetizing. Their steamed vegetables are uninspiring at best. On top of that if you eat at Chili's with your family, you are only setting your kids up to eat poorly. It is ironic to me they run a banner ad ont is site. It is kind of like the devil speaking from your shoulder. Has any one had anything low calorie at Chili's that they really liked?
    If I am going out Chili's "low calorie" is not even on my mind. They have options you just didn't find them appetizing. You said so yourself. So, I don't understand the complaint.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the "healthy" options at Chili's, but have eaten Weight Watcher's options at Appleby's. I cook better at home and won't be wasting my money on bland, so-called grilled shrimp and steamed veggies again. The steamed veggies consisted of mostly broccoli, which musta been just passed over the steam cloud, because they were all but raw. Broccoli isn't a veggie I would eat raw cuz of the little buds. Fortunately, I can adapt *almost* any recipe to be very healthy (due to attending a Weight Watcher's seminar years ago), and make it very tasty as well. Makes it tough when social obligations require you to order at a restaurant.
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    Just ate there last night. I had the Steak and Chicken Fajita combo with no toppers (cheese, SC, Guac) With 2 tortillas and it was 733 calories. Not uber low but you are eating out. Have and Ice tea or water to drink and the meal is good. Well good to me. :-) I did eyeball the cheese but didn't use it. If you want fewer calories just get the Chicken Fajitas or don't eat the tortillas. You can make eating out work.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Check out the Margerita Grilled Chicken, I actually have eaten that thing a few times and I was very pleased. It's like 550 calories and actually tastes damn good.
  • emfilomena
    Options
    Check out the Margerita Grilled Chicken, I actually have eaten that thing a few times and I was very pleased. It's like 550 calories and actually tastes damn good.

I was about to suggest the same thing! I love the Margarita Grilled Chicken, and if I'm feeling that I deserve a treat, I'll substitute the rice, I believe, for cinnamon apples. Delicious!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Steak and double veggies. With a water. You can come out sub 1000 depending on the size and cut of steak. Sirloin is always going to be the best value for price and leanness in most restaurants. The next best would be a Strip steak of some sort. KC or NY are what you'll find usually. Trim the fat off to save a few cals, or eat it, if you need fat in your diet.

The issue is here, is two fold. 1 it's a restaurant and it's primary goal is to make something taste good to keep you coming back. What better way to make something taste better than to load it up with a fat or some sugar / salt. Tasting good to you, and tasting good to their market share are two completely different things.

2. You made the choice. You knew what you were getting into before you ordered it.

Plan ahead, research, bring MFP with you if you have a smart phone and simply make better choices.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We're going there tonight. I was either going to get santa fe wrap with brocoli or the cobb salad, 680 calories or 720 calories. I've never had either one so I hope its good. But I can't go there without getting chips and salsa, thats the main reason we go!!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had the under 550 items at Applebee's several times. And yes, I rather loved it. Knowing I can have steak (and knowing it will taste GOOD) for under 500 calories really makes me happy.
    if you eat at Chili's with your family, you are only setting your kids up to eat poorly. It is ironic to me they run a banner ad ont is site. It is kind of like the devil speaking from your shoulder. Has any one had anything low calorie at Chili's that they really liked?

You could see it that way... or... you could see it as a chance to show them a lesson in portion intake? Eating out and enjoying a hamburger once and a while is not the devil. Our bodies crave it, may as well do it from time to time. (Mmmmm hot wings). BUT... you can cut the sandwich in half. Eat half at dinner, then the other half for lunch the next day. Show your kids they do, indeed, not have to "clean their plate" if they are full.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    as far as the ads go, a lot of them are sites that I have browsed, so somehow this site knows and puts up ads for things you look up online I think. Like I just was on pottery barn kids so theres a banner on right now. Were you recently on the chili's website?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I am going out Chili's "low calorie" is not even on my mind. They have options you just didn't find them appetizing. You said so yourself. So, I don't understand the complaint.

Same. We went last week. Split an appetizer of Southwest Eggrolls and got a Smokehouse Bacon Big Mouth Burger. Didn't care one bit about the calories, because I don't care on weekends.
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have had the lighter fair sirloin steak and broccoli, the steak was good, didn't care for the broccoli. The next time I got steak and black beans. It was good. Also have tried the grilled chicken salad, it is good also. I guess it all depends on your taste.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Eh. When I'm eating out I usually don't care about healthy options. I don't eat out all the time so it's going to be good if I do it.

If you hate it so much why did you go there?
  • hateras
    hateras Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go to their website and print the nutritional values on their menu - there is a few things under 1000 calories but its all in what you would like to eat. the 6oz sirloin with steamed broccoli is what I ordered the last time.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Or just don't eat at chilis? Their food is poison for your body.
  • krisbeeler
    Options
    Their chili is good (no beans). That and the Margarita Chicken are pretty low in calories.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Chili's (I've never even SEEN a Chili's), but when I go out it's a rare occasion and I don't look at the calories. I eat what I want, eat it slow, and stop when I'm full. I don't take the leftovers home, either, because the next day I want to get back on track.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A hamburger at just about any sit down restaurant will set you back about that much. A big part of counting calories is watching portions and restaurant portions are far larger than what we normally need to eat in one sitting. Try sharing an entree! Or, put half of the entree in a box to take home (before you start eating).
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    If you want to eat a high calorie meal like a burger (which are pretty good!) you can just eat only half and eat the rest the next day or give it away! This is what I do at any restaurant. Otherwise I'd skip the sugary drinks and get plain iced tea or water with lemons, no appetizers and look for something on their website that meets your needs. :flowerforyou: Have fun!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I get the Faijita Trio (steak/chicken/shrimp) with no condiments or tortillas. 500 cals, very satisfying. The sodium content in all their dishes is ridiculous. (I offset that by ordering my Presidentes without salt lol!!)
  • kristypie
    kristypie Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, the Margarita Chicken! It is delish. I would eat it even if I wasn't counting calories.