Moving out. :D

Options
I'm moving out of my parents' house (finally) in two weeks... I just don't know what to do.

I know where I'm going to live and have an idea about where I'm working, but that's not my problem. I have no idea how to pack or how to say bye to my parents. I told myself if it didn't fit in my suitcase, it wasn't going, but I look around my room and get really sad because of all the stuff I'm leaving... and then I get depressed when I think of leaving my parents.

How do I cope and get over it?

Replies

• iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    It's always a little scary at first when you leave a world that is so familiar to you. Be gentle with yourself, dear, its all you've ever known, right? It takes time, patience & strength to integrate & become comfortable in your new surroundings. I remember when I first went on my own. I was downright nervous! Now, I have a partner & we've just had to move in with her parents for a while... we LOVED being on our own! We were anxious and scared when we went out on our own, but, we got used to it & fell in love with it... now it sucks being back with parents. XDD Haha! What I'm trying to say is : You'll love it once you get used to it. I dunno if that helped or I rambled! ^_<;; Hopefully, I helped!
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thankie very much! I plan on moving in with relatives and then finding my own place when I have enough money. . . My parents are old and I worry about them. I know they won't be around for long, but I just want to be with them until then. -sigh-
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thankie very much! I plan on moving in with relatives and then finding my own place when I have enough money. . . My parents are old and I worry about them. I know they won't be around for long, but I just want to be with them until then. -sigh-

if thats how you feel, then i'm not sure why you're moving out?
  • Yakisoba
    Options
    Because I can't live with them forever. I need to stop depending on them.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Because I can't live with them forever. I need to stop depending on them.

You just said you're moving in with other relatives. That's still being dependent. If those are your options and you WANT to be with your parents, stay with them.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    When I did it, it was kind of abrupt. I was 18, going to college for the first time and moving in with my boyfriend (I know a lot of people will say that this wasn't a good idea, but hell, we're still together and we're doing well)

However, I feel like our situations were really different. I hated living at home. My mom was addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol and my brother was physically abusive, so it was an easy decision to make. As for you, I can see that you love your parents and you're nervous about it. My best advice is to make the most of it and visit whenever possible!
  • Yakisoba
    Options
    When I did it, it was kind of abrupt. I was 18, going to college for the first time and moving in with my boyfriend (I know a lot of people will say that this wasn't a good idea, but hell, we're still together and we're doing well)

However, I feel like our situations were really different. I hated living at home. My mom was addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol and my brother was physically abusive, so it was an easy decision to make. As for you, I can see that you love your parents and you're nervous about it. My best advice is to make the most of it and visit whenever possible!

I'm so sorry. D: I thought about visiting them a lot, but then money is an issue. I also thought about not moving since I'm having abandonment issues, but I have to. There is nothing for me here.

Maybe I should clear something up. Yes, going to live with other relatives is still dependent, but not the type of dependency I have on my parents. Also, the place I am moving to has more job opportunities (which is surprising). I know if I stayed at home I would never let go and grow.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    curious...How old are you?
  • Yakisoba
    Options
    21 in two weeks. :x I know. I'm a late bloomer.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I want to share my experience with you. 1. Almost everyone I know that moved out at 18ish moved back in with their parents at some point. This includes friends and family. 2. Despite what people think or what people tell you there is no age where you MUST be out on your own. When I say this I refer to the typical hit 18 and boot yourself out of the nest.
    If you need/want to stay with your parents then do it.

My story: I moved out of my parents' house when I was 20 because I got married. After separating from my emotionally abusive and unfaithful husband right before I turned 22 I moved back in. My husband had prevented me from returning to college and getting a job so I had no money and no way to support myself. I'm going to be 25 in a couple of months and I still live with them for two reasons. There is no one else in this world that loves me and supports me as much as my mom and dad. The second is that while I was living with them my mom took a job in Japan and I was not about to miss out on Japan :love: We're moving back to the states this year and I will be getting my own place but I have no regrets and feel no shame in staying in the nest so long.

extra tidbit: my parents would rather me not move out just yet :laugh:
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    Do you already have a good relationship with your folks? I moved out when I was 22 officially ( though I had been staying a my boyfriends since being 21 most days/nights). And all I can say for it is my relationship with my parents changed dramatically but for the better - I can't put my finger on specifics but we speak more, and do more as a family and I love it ! And my man says the same for him... But there's no reason to force yourself out dependence isn't just about living with your folks. I lived with mine until I was 21 yes but I worked 2 jobs to run my own car, pay for my own phone, clothes and rent to them , so I considered myself be independent.... Just ow I'm getting used to the scary world of mortgages and paying taxes that I didn't before lol ! You can do it, but if you're not ready then wait there is no rush!