Logging food when you are sick

Options
Hi! I've been arguing with myself about this every time it happens... so I'm just curious, if you happened to eat supper, and then about 2 hours later for one reason or another end up vomiting, do you log the calories you had for supper, or no?

Replies

• alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes, because you're still absorbing quite a bit of the calories.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I agree. Still log it, then note at the bottom that you threw up that day. You still absorb some.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if i'm vomiting, i'm not on MFP. LOL

personally, i would keep everything logged. there is no way to know how much you threw up. my dr told me when i take a medication, even if i vomit, i can't take more b/c most of it absorbed before throwing up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't log food when I'm gastro-sick. Eat bland food and drink plenty of fluids if and when you can, and don't log until you're able to eat normally again.

Remind yourself that your food log is just a tool you use for your own benefit. It's not a school or work project that you're going to be graded on. You won't get an "incomplete" on your permanent record if you skip a day or two. Whether you eat under or over when ill is not going to make any lasting impact on your weight loss.
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    I agree that you should log it.

However I'm a little concerned that you appear to suggest that this is a regular thing. The 'every time this happens' and 'for one reason or another' worry me.

Please dont feel insulted, I mean this in a caring way, but if you are purging get help now :flowerforyou:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Log what goes in not what comes out regardless of how it comes out!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Logging is a tool that you use on the journey to becoming healthy, So log. Then in the comment box at the bottom of the page make a notation - you can even do this the next day or a few days later that you threw up. Then it is just a note for yourself.
    Good Luck, and try to stop eating things that make you throw up! If it isn't the food, then go see a doctor. Thrwing up is not healthy and can ruin your esophogeal lining causing major issues as you grow older - just sayin!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should log it.

However I'm a little concerned that you appear to suggest that this is a regular thing. The 'every time this happens' and 'for one reason or another' worry me.

Please dont feel insulted, I mean this in a caring way, but if you are purging get help now :flowerforyou:
    To be honest, even if it's not on purpose, I would be concerned if I was throwing up often enough for this to be an issue.
  • FeeeeMarieeee
    FeeeeMarieeee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's happened maybe 3 times and only because I've had major chest congestion for about a month and sometimes at night my coughing fits lead me to throwing up. I'm not purging. I'm not anorexic or bulemic or any of that I'm not THAT insecure.