Weight Watchers Smart Ones

Options
I don't have the money to go to Weight Watchers meetings, or even join up online. I'm also not a great cook to put together meals for myself, :blushing:

So I have been buying all of the Weight Watchers Smart Ones meals and desserts and eating those as my sole source of nutrition, with the exception of healthy snacks such as

Watermelon
Grapes
Almonds
Bananas
Apple slices w/ PB
100 calorie snack packs

What do you think of this? Is this okay? I should be getting all the nutrition I need from this because I'm eating egg white, chicken, meats, whatever is in the meals.

It's been so simple for me and easy for me to follow just having a nice portioned out meal that I can easily input into my food diary! I'm loving the simplicity and great food. I also don't feel that I'm starving with the decent portion sizes.

So, is this okay? Thanks for any input!! :happy:

Replies

• Joonace
    Joonace Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree that they are great because they are fast, pre-portionned and yummy, however, they do contain alot of salt and alot of them also contain MSG (under the guise of 'flavoring' or 'spices). Just make sure you drink alot more water than recommended. This is not just my opinion, but the advice of a health coach at Simply For Life and i'm sure you can also find this advice plastered all over the place online.
    But hey, if it's a choice between eating pizza & pop, greasy take-out, or eating a Smart Ones, I think the Smart Ones are the 'smarter' choice for sure :flowerforyou:

135750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree, that this is better then alot of other things you could eat. BUT, (I know there is always a but) they have chemicals and other bad things in them. You could try and cut up some veggies and put them in a bag. Peanut butter and an apple. Find what works for you and good luck in your journey.
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's been working for me as well! I take these to work for lunch and use their snacks because of the portioning....I just eat a smarter dinner at home with my family...which has caused my chubby little darlings to slim down as well!!

I say do whatever works! I just take a multivitamin now too...
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use them for every meal, because this is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. I do use them for my lunches for the convenience sometimes, as well as "prepackaged" salads (with everything in the bag, you just mix it together). Eventually you're going to have to learn how to prepare meals that are healthy.

If you find a recipe on something like Hungry Girl website, or in a Weight Watchers cookbook (those are great, by the way) they already have the nutrition information there so you don't have to figure it out.
  • FantasticVoyage
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I sadly didn't even THINK to look at the sodium levels! I've been so obsessed with counting calories and such. I will def drink more water to account for that.

also, I will try to squeeze in some more healthy foods such as, maybe a tuna sandwich here and there instead of the meals. I've just never ate healthy before and I'm so lost! I'm used to living on heavily processed frozen dinners and I don't know what else to do! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!:smile:

I also will start taking a multivitamin everyday as well, as I know this will help me further.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have stopped the WW snacks and desserts because of the fat content. There are better alternatives. I am a life time WW so it is free except when I go over my weight limit. If you can get some one to give you the point calculator, it does work counting points. I am using MFP and also counting points. It is easy to stay on track doing both.
  • NuNee
    NuNee Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello, I am also using MFP and also counting points. It is easy to stay on track doing both. I have been on MFP only for a couple of days. but, it is helping all ready. I used to do the WW food, and every one is right the salt in them is way to much. I live alone and do not like to cook, so I mostly eat veggies and fruit. I buy a cooked chicken once in a while. gc2052, do you go to WW site.? Is it really worth joining.? If you join the online WW, can you go to the meeting halls free.?
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I sadly didn't even THINK to look at the sodium levels! I've been so obsessed with counting calories and such. I will def drink more water to account for that.

also, I will try to squeeze in some more healthy foods such as, maybe a tuna sandwich here and there instead of the meals. I've just never ate healthy before and I'm so lost! I'm used to living on heavily processed frozen dinners and I don't know what else to do! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!:smile:

I also will start taking a multivitamin everyday as well, as I know this will help me further.

Read the book "Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy" by Walter Willett M.D. It is an excellent introduction to healthy living. It's the "Harvard Medical School guide to healthy eating". It's very basic so you feel like a healthy life is in your reach rather then over whelmed (which is how I felt when I read "Skinny B!tch"). Hope that helps.
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'd recommend getting some Light and Tasty Cook books from the Taste of Home Magazine. They have very simple recipes...my philosophy is that if you can read, you can cook. These books all have nutrition content per serving and make counting calories a breeze. Most of these meals are super fast...or could be made ahead of time. Good luck!
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    I always keep a couple of Smart Ones on hand for "emergency" - short on time and need a quick meal but I always add fresh veggies to it. I would not do it as my constant source of meals. Plus I am finding that doing it even as I am is getting expensive. I would rather put the money into fresh fruits and veggies. I am a lifetime WW who gained 10 pounds back, I am going to try counting points along with this site too. Sounds like a great idea - thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • sharonsue
    sharonsue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW for 10 years. It is a great program. In the past I used the foods, but as said in so many posts the salt content is very high. Better to make it yourself and portion it out. You have control of what is in it.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I do not go to meetings. But, I did loose about 15 pounds which is what I wanted at the time. Now I weigh at the meeting site once a month. If I am not over my target weight then I do not have to pay. I think what makes it a goos program is thatyou are accountable to someone by weighing every week. I would not do the on-line. I did not find it responsive to my needs. I like my fittness pal but changed the goals for fat, carbs and protein. WW stresses fiber. I do occassionally eat at lean cuisine or smart one but not often. I do cook because it is easier to calculate or enter simple foods. I buy cooked chicken from the store and also frozen veggies. I have had to cut back on the desserts. One meal I eat for any meal is: Thomas's multi grain english muffin, 1 slice of FF american cheese, and 1/4 cut of SW eggbeaters as a sandwich. It is high protein, high fiber and low fat.
    I wish you success
    Gail
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sodium loaded for real!!! yikes!!
    They are a better choice though if you only have high sodium options available to you.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I also use the smart ones as easy meals to bring to work or when I want something that if I ate out would be loaded with calories (mostly pizza). I always add extra veggies when I'm home and eating them, which I think makes them taste better. A lot of the meat portions contain a lot of sauce, which I try to scrape off and not eat (I hate gravy, so I don't like most of the sauces anyway).

If you live by yourself, it's easy to make single person sized meals. I have that situation and buy individually frozen chicken breast (cooking directions on the side of the bag) and shrimp. It's easy to defrost a chicken breast or some shrimp and lightly saute it with fresh veggies (or frozen veggies if it's winter or you don't get to the store frequently). I tend to add low sodium soy sauce (about 1 tbsp) or poultry seasoning depending on the protein. There are also easy portioned rices (the kind in the bag) which is a smaller amount.
  • FantasticVoyage
    Options
    I also use the smart ones as easy meals to bring to work or when I want something that if I ate out would be loaded with calories (mostly pizza). I always add extra veggies when I'm home and eating them, which I think makes them taste better. A lot of the meat portions contain a lot of sauce, which I try to scrape off and not eat (I hate gravy, so I don't like most of the sauces anyway).

If you live by yourself, it's easy to make single person sized meals. I have that situation and buy individually frozen chicken breast (cooking directions on the side of the bag) and shrimp. It's easy to defrost a chicken breast or some shrimp and lightly saute it with fresh veggies (or frozen veggies if it's winter or you don't get to the store frequently). I tend to add low sodium soy sauce (about 1 tbsp) or poultry seasoning depending on the protein. There are also easy portioned rices (the kind in the bag) which is a smaller amount.

Well, I don't live by myself. I am married with 3 kids , buy my hubby is the cook in our house. He doesn't make low fat meals, just regular food and he doesn't want to change his cooking or that for our children. It's nothing bad, just tacos , chicken dishes, etc. It's just not things I want to be consuming right now. So I was looking for something to eat while I learn how to cook. I've always been a terrible cook and kind of shy away from it for now.
  • twocats
    twocats Posts: 31
    Options
    If you are learning how to cook healthy food I can't tell you how MUCH I love my steamer!!!!

I have one by Oster. It was not expensive, got it at Target. You put water in the base, chop up veggies, put on the lid and turn it on. Easy Easy Easy!!

You can do fish in it too and other things like rice. I love mine and keep it out all the time right on the counter so when hubby is fixing pizza I can have a healthy meal in minutes.

Good luck to you as you learn the joys of home cooking!
  • FantasticVoyage
    Options
    If you are learning how to cook healthy food I can't tell you how MUCH I love my steamer!!!!

I have one by Oster. It was not expensive, got it at Target. You put water in the base, chop up veggies, put on the lid and turn it on. Easy Easy Easy!!

You can do fish in it too and other things like rice. I love mine and keep it out all the time right on the counter so when hubby is fixing pizza I can have a healthy meal in minutes.

Good luck to you as you learn the joys of home cooking!

Thank you so much! I'll have to go check those out this week. Anything to help make things easier, I'm there!:laugh: