Starvation mode -- want to hear from people who dealt with i

Options
I see lots of posts from people who refer to starvation mode and report personal experience. They say they were vastly undereating their calories, were at a plateau, then increased their calories a little and began to lose.

There are a lot of things going on in the body that affect the basal metabolic rate, so it's reasonable to believe. It hasn't been my experience at all, though.

I have tended to notice that the people who report having personal experience with this often suggest certain foods to add to up calorie intake. Without biasing anyone, there seem to be some patterns.

So my question is only to those who have PERSONALLY experienced this phenomenon: Were there particular foods you added, and if so, what?

If you tried this and it didn't work for you, what foods did you try adding, or did you just increase your calories without adding any particular food?

Replies

• chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I experienced it the first two weeks of february.

A little history. I did WW starting in November and lost ~8 lbs by New years. I wasn't that committed, but had made some small changes that were adding up such as cutting fast food, getting portion sizes down, eating 6 small meals (more like 3 meals with snacks in-between), and cooking.

New years hit, I was getting to the discouragement state but something else clicked this time. I downloaded MFP, met with some friends who are extreme athletes and set up a stringent workout plan and got my MFP going and set off. Within the first 3 weeks I was averaging 1.8-2.8 lb losses and it had me on fire. My thought was well if I cut more calories, I'll see even more loss. I was currently eating 1600ish and not eating back my exercise. I cut to 1350 and kept exercise the same and didn't eat back my exercise.

From the last week of January (when I changed) till the 2ndish week of february, I dropped to about 0.5-0.8 lb loss per week. I was extremely frustrated, but after re-evaluating and reading threads about starvation mode and spiking, I bumped back up to 1600 calories. Not only that, I made a Saturday a "spike" day for me which I eat back all my exercise calories and maybe + some depending on how i feel, but I never go above my BMR on my spike day.

Two weeks ago I was back up to about a 2 lb loss. Last week I was just over 2 lb loss. This week I am looking at a 3-3.5 lb loss. I'd say thats proof of a starvation induced "plateau" per say.

I am doing a c25k/Ripped in 30 (Jullian) hybrid and the running days I seem to required more food to meet satiety so I am thinking of bumping my calories up to 1700-1800. One other thing I do, though I haven't changed MFP settings to reflect, is I am eating about a higher protein ratio than before and lowered carbs (simple to be exact). I eat between 1.25-1.75 grams of protein per Kg of weight and about 0.75 grams of carbs per Kg. I made this change about the time I upped my calories a few weeks ago. I eat whatever fat I eat but don't really monitor it other than I avoid fried foods due to IBS issues.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I was still playing around with numbers and trying to figure out what works for me, I was on the minimum 1200 diet and not eating my exercise calories back. I thought- the less calories I eat, the more I'll lose. Well I didn't lose a thing for a month. I didn't understand and I almost quit. I hung around and learned quite a bit, and upped my calories to 1450 with a goal loss of. 5 lbs a week. I eat all my exercise calories back so I'm often around 1800 at the end of the day. I didn't eat anything specific, just more. I eat what I want as long as its under the calorie goal. I drink alcohol, eat peanut butter...and I'm losing a steady pound per week. For me, the most helpful changes I made were: getting a hrm so I know exactly what I'm burning, and eating enough to fuel my body- again it didn't matter what (tho I don't eat fast food). I have definitely found my numbers. You just need toplay around until you figure it out.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    doesnt exist...

there is NO scientific proof of this..

ya eating 1600 cals and stalling, going down for a week and still not losing weight, then going back up to 1600 and lost is NOT proof of starvation mode dude.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    there might not be any scientific evidence and it might not exist, but here is my experience.

mine wasn't just a month or months worth of under- eating and not losing weight. it was 6 years. and i wasn't over- eating or being dishonest with my diet either, because in those 6 yrs i didn't gain weight either.

it started while preggo with my 3rd. i was giving up meat and became a vegetarian and then took it one step further and became a vegan. i figured i would lose weight because i was hardly eating anything. i now had 3 kids under 3 and barely had time to think much less feed myself and thus under eating became my life.

i had been physical til we moved north in the dead of winter ( left the sunny south). and my weight just hung out. no ups, no downs. just there. i tried a million things but they always included eating LESS.

2006 i was diagnosed with gallstones. the doc told me it was caused by my under- eating. a diet of under 1000 calories had made my digestive tract sluggish. in 2007 i went to jenny craig. quickly learned from them i wasn't eating enough either. i was breastfeeding and working out and was eating about 1200 cal a day. tried WW online, but my goals were ALWAYS to under eat. ALWAYS! worked with a personal trainer last summer and she repetitively got after me for NOT eating enough. we were doing bootcamp together 3 days a week and i was logging about 900 calories a day. not netting, LOGGING!!!

i never believed any of them. after all i had been told for years, it's calories in vs. calories out. so, if i burned more and ate less, eventually i would HAVE to lose weight! right!!??!!

it got to the point where i was anti food. i ate because i had to, but not because i wanted to. and i was NEVER hungry. EVER. i joined mfp a month ago, and about a week in i made it my goal to eat my 1200 calories. regardless of what my work outs were. it was hard. it's often STILL hard! but, i'm doing it.

and amazingly enough, i have started to lose weight! my work outs are basically the same. but, i'm losing inches pretty fast now! as for what i started eating. it wasn't just one thing i started eating, but my diet has always been higher in protein. i often have a mental block with carbs. i won't eat pasta or rice period. usually no cereal. no snacky type foods. if i'm having a planned high calorie day now i will. but not on a normal day. protein shakes and bars because mentally they are easier for me to eat. but, i do try to eat more real food if i can.

most people laugh at me when i say this, but my favorite food is salad. if i am going out to eat, that's what i order 9 out of 10 times.......

so, that's my story.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dont lose more than 2lbs/week.

Why lose more? cant keep up with healthy diet long term? Short diets never worked for me..
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    doesnt exist...

there is NO scientific proof of this..

ya eating 1600 cals and stalling, going down for a week and still not losing weight, then going back up to 1600 and lost is NOT proof of starvation mode dude.

exactly. I think the "starvation mode" theory was thought up in between sets of bicep curls.
    Eat 500 calories a day and tell me if you body goes into starvation and you don't lose weight.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I found this article interesting, and there are many more articles that back the idea that few calories make your body slow its metabolic rate. I don't think you set a calorie limit that works for everyone, because we all very...but every where I read says you should consume (including exercise) 1200 calories at a min. I've been trying that and it does seem to be working.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx

I found this article against starvation mode

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267
  • EatClenTrenHard
    Options
    I am starting to think it's not really about calories, there is something going on that we 'don't know yet. I have a bodybugg it tells me how many calories i burn per day, based off my temperature, body conductivity, sweat, and movement. Here is what happened to me, I was eating about 2,200 calories a day, my bodybugg said I was burning 3,500 calories a day. I was stuck like this for 2-3 weeks. I increased my calories, and went low carb, I went to 2,700 calories a day, and lost the weight instantly, within a day or 2, I broke the plateau.

The theory is, we stop losing weight because our metabolism slows down. If this was true, my bodybugg would have said 2,200 calories, not 3,500 calories when I was stuck in my plateau.

I am doing a very intensive diet right now at 1,500 calories a day, and losing at a very rapid pace. How come I wasn't losing at 2,200??? As I said, there is something going on I believe science hasn't uncovered yet.

You lose weight because of low carb diet....

You lost water weight.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    I am starting to think it's not really about calories, there is something going on that we 'don't know yet. I have a bodybugg it tells me how many calories i burn per day, based off my temperature, body conductivity, sweat, and movement. Here is what happened to me, I was eating about 2,200 calories a day, my bodybugg said I was burning 3,500 calories a day. I was stuck like this for 2-3 weeks. I increased my calories, and went low carb, I went to 2,700 calories a day, and lost the weight instantly, within a day or 2, I broke the plateau.

The theory is, we stop losing weight because our metabolism slows down. If this was true, my bodybugg would have said 2,200 calories, not 3,500 calories when I was stuck in my plateau.

I am doing a very intensive diet right now at 1,500 calories a day, and losing at a very rapid pace. How come I wasn't losing at 2,200??? As I said, there is something going on I believe science hasn't uncovered yet.

the bodybugg was wrong. You lowered your calories and you are losing more weight..how can it not be about calories then?
  • EatClenTrenHard
    Options
    by the way bodybugg is innacurate i hear from people.
  • zafferFL
    Options

the bodybugg was wrong. You lowered your calories and you are losing more weight..how can it not be about calories then?

How come I didn't gain weight when i increased my calories, to 3,500? I actually lost weight.

You already said that you went low carb.
    Yes, calories are important, but the macro's count just as much.

e.g. If I only weight lift and maintain a heavy fat diet without enough carbs and protein on the days I train, I won't build muscle as well as if I increase protein/carbs and decrease fat on those days.
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know my ticker only says 3 lbs down, but I haven't ever lost weight before, not in 6 years, 3 lbs over the last 8weeks feels fantastic!

For the last 6 years of my life, I have routinely eaten under 1000 calories a day, following what I thought was a very healthy, vegan diet. What I didn't realize was that yes, my favorite veggies are great for the body, but it isn't all the body needs. The body needs fuel from protiens and carbs too. Typical day was: oatmeal, carrot sticks, salad, veggies lightly stir-fried in olive oil with hot sauce, occasional splurg for thai food, pasta, or fajitas. Otherwise, very little rice, wheat, or potatoes because I was always told that starches make you fat.

Starting on January 2nd, I increased my portions and introduced wheat/whole grain, rice, and potatoes I previously avoided, and increased my use of beans, nuts, and lentils. And immediately I noticed 2 things: 1) My cardio endurance exponentially increased, 2) I required 1 hour less sleep a day.

I lost my 1st lb in 6 years during week 5. I then got sick/injured and can't exercise, but I continue to stick, the best I can, to the calories while I can't exercise and lost 1 more lb. in both weeks 7 and 8. I LOST WITHOUT EXERCISE!!!!

Exercise - Last summer I did the couch to 5k program and never could make it past the week 5 regime, my endurance was never there, but continued until the snow started to fall. I switched to elliptical four days a week for 30 minutes a day. I gained 15lbs and 2 sizes during this time. On January 2nd, along with the calories, I increased from 4 to 6 days a week of elliptical and even did 3 days of 30 day shred (prior to injury) noticing a fantastic increase in muscle mass, decrease in inches, and increasing cardio endurance.

I'm a believer in "Starvation Mode", I'm a believer in Carbs, I'm a believer in Starch, I'm a believer in Protein. And I believe that with exercise and calories, I can continue to lose, I think it took my body 4-5 weeks to figure out that I wasn't going to starve it anymore.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    For me, increasing calories just allows me to not feel deprived and go totally overboard on a cheat day. I don't know all the sciencey stuff about it and I don't believe anyone here has the credentials to convince me of anything either.
  • chasxmd
    Options
    I am sure starving Ethiopians are having a real difficult time shedding weight because they aren't getting enough cals :)
  • anmei2411
    Options
    I used to struggle lot with food and eating so in order to lose weight I wouldn't allow myself more than 750 calories a day. Obviously, I lost weight quite quickly but at some point it stopped. Furthermore, I felt dizzy when I stood up and I suffered from depression. I also noted that my hands and feet were constantly freezing. When I looked that up, I read that the body keeps the vital parts going (organs) when it does not receive in enough energy, but it will cut back on supporting the body parts that are less important for survival.

At some point I knew I had to eat more but when I increased my intake (to 1000 or 1200 calories a day) I started to gain weight. The reason for this is the starvation mode. Your body pretty much thinks there is a war going on and assumes that food is scarce. Hence, it will burn as little calories as possible (=plateau) and as soon as it receives more calories, it will save them up (=weight gain).
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think everybody's different, and it's not right to say whether starvation mode is real or not. I think it's real for some and not for others. I was stuck for 6 weeks at 196 after dropping 28 pounds. I was working out, and eating 1310 calories for a goal of 1.5 lb loss a week. It has always been hard for me to eat enough calories, and prior to mfp I was not eating close to 1200 calories a day, but I was at 233 pounds.

I decided to do a few things. I upped my calories to 1440. I also decided to incorporate what I call muscle confusion into my workout. I was only doing the elliptical for 30 - 45 minutes 5 times a week. I started spinning, and weight training.

I also started to eat more protein and less carbs.

As soon as I did all of this, my weight started coming off again and it still is. Coincidence?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Please everyone, we're getting off topic. This is NOT a discussion of whether starvation mode exists. I don't care whether it does or not. I'm interested in the fact that SOME people have had PERSONAL experience that makes them believe it does. I want to learn more about exactly what they experienced. Whether it is truly "starvation mode" or not is beside the point. I want to know what they encountered, and exactly what they added to their diets when they increased their calories yet began to lose weight.

Frankly, I'm wondering if they added a nutrient they weren't getting. But that's beside the point. I'm gathering data, not trying to make a conclusion before having the facts.

So if you haven't had personal experience, please add your comments about starvation mode to one of the hundreds of other threads arguing its existence.

[/steps off soapbox]