Appalling!

Options

Replies

• natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has "fresco style" now.......low cal version of their usuals. I didn't see it on the menu....it was on the nutritional info sheet. On the chicken soft taco....fresco doesn't have cheese....they put in extra lettuce and tomatoes.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's very disturbing to add up a "normal" day before I started dieting, It absolute disgusts me that those numbers were entering my body every day for several years. I count myself lucky I'm not twice this weight and still a clean bill of health.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has "fresco style" now.......low cal version of their usuals. I didn't see it on the menu....it was on the nutritional info sheet. On the chicken soft taco....fresco doesn't have cheese....they put in extra lettuce and tomatoes.

I've seen this menu too, as I LOOOVE taco bell, but if you actually look at the nutritional info here or anywhere else, just on calories alone a lot of the fresco items are HIGHER in calories or the same. Same goes for most all fast food places that have "healthy" options, check the nutritional info, 95% of those options are just as bad for you as the big mac you were going to get.
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We are all in a Health Recovery program here. Part of it is that sometimes we have a bad day even with the best of intentions. But the next morning we get up, forgive ourselves, and start right back on recovering our health.

I LOVE this! it's so hard to remember sometimes.

I had a hard time last weekend' went to a new restaurant that was suppose to have a copy of the info there; but didn't so I guessed based on a similar red robin item.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean, but did you seriously think that three main courses and part of hubby's would only clock in at 800 calories? That they would only be 250 cal each? Maybe a bit of wishful thinking there. Next time stick to one main course and a bottled water. Or find somewhere that has dishes with less fat and more vegetables.

You can do it. Your supper was good, and tomorrow you just hop right back in the saddle.
    So I did what any calorie-counter would do.. I picked what I thought might be 800 or so calories.. Sure, it's a high calorie meal but nothing I couldn't work off later if I went over my calories (I was thinking 300 or so calories over maybe?).. I logged my calories on my phone after lunch and it was nearly 2000 calories.. I thought that couldn't be right, so I decided to double check it when I got home.. It was an appalling 2000 calorie lunch after all.. I am horrified!!! I got a bean burrito, muchaco, and taco (#5)... I also helped my husband with his beef enchilada =(
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    My big wake up call (and heartbreak) was Chick Fil-A chicken strips (the four count meal). Broke my poor, addicted heart - and my food budget for the day.

If you look online, they have a low-cal suggestion menu, you might could switch to the 8-count nuggets with 260 cal. Here's a link to their lighter choices. http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Healthful-Lifestyle
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Not to be mean, but did you seriously think that three main courses and part of hubby's would only clock in at 800 calories? That they would only be 250 cal each? Maybe a bit of wishful thinking there.

I'm sure, as you said, you didn't mean to come off mean or in this case, almost completly demeaning, but in her defense (since she's already upset with herself and has come here for support) she didn't have three MAIN courses. She had a combo (which we would probably all agree is too large for a single entree), but I wouldn't venture to say that many consider one taco a complete meal. And regardless, 2,000 (to which is most of the meal she had) is still appalling for a restaurant to be serving.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean, but did you seriously think that three main courses and part of hubby's would only clock in at 800 calories? That they would only be 250 cal each? Maybe a bit of wishful thinking there. Next time stick to one main course and a bottled water. Or find somewhere that has dishes with less fat and more vegetables.

You can do it. Your supper was good, and tomorrow you just hop right back in the saddle.

Honestly, I really thought mine was going to be about 800 calories.. I could have sworn that I looked up the calories in a bean burrito at Taco Bell a long time ago, and I thought it was about 180 calories (I just looked it up and I was really wrong!! lol, turns out they are about 370 calories!).. so I assumed since Taco Bell and Taco Bueno are fairly similar, the calories probably are as well.. So I was guesstimating the burrito at 200, taco at 200 and the muchaco at 400.. I thought the muchaco was MUCH worse.. Nope, it's actually a lil more than 100 calories LESS than a burrito!!! lol.. Guess that's what you get when you assume :laugh:

Interesting thing about water... I am in a masters program so I utilize our database to find research articles.. I found one I think from 2010 that found people who drank 16 oz of water 30 minutes prior to a meal and followed a hypocaloric diet lost 44% more weight after 12 weeks in comparison to individuals just on a hypocaloric diet. Seems like I should have done the water thing LOL..
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Okay...now I am going to play devil's advocate and say...I eat out all the time and I have had no problems staying within range on my calorie count. First let me say that I am allowed 1320 calories a day and I have only gone over my count 1 or 2 times very minimally since I started the program about a month ago.

It is easy to mess up if you do not research before hand, but making good choices is a learning curve. I would have erred on the side of caution and eaten something a la carte, because combos in any restaurant are killers....think about it. They want to give you the largest quantity of food at a good price, so you *think* you are getting a bargain. "Would you like to add fries and make that a combo?" If I could count the times I have heard that...LOL

Anyway, just take this as a lesson and remember portion control and a la carte....this is how you can dine out...oh and research if you know where you are going and what you might want to eat there...Of course, practice makes perfect...my family and I have a favorite hang out (Mexican restaurant) and once we found the good-ish food in the correct amounts..that is what we pretty much stick with :)

Don't get worked up about this one meal~just get back on the right track and eat wisely to live in freedom! (from fat)
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I fee your pain. Same thing happened to me yesterday at Arby's. I was over 300 calories because of eating at Arbys and couldn't even enjoy eating their food for fear of the calories I was eating, and to top it off, by the time I was done, I thought, this isn't even good. Taco Bell is my treat on a Friday night. They have a cheese quesadilla that is below 500 calories, and fits in the calorie count for supper time for me. Another thing I've tried to do, is go ahead and add some fast food in on our calorie counter on MFP and just see what you can and can't have when you go to these fast food restaurants. It's been very helpful! Well tomorrow is over and today is a new day! Godspeed to you for a sucessful recovery from Fast food my friend.. :)
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ask for nutritional information...very easy to do, all restaurants have it. You just have to ask...
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I have unexpected days like this, I usually am not hungry at dinner and if I am, I have a protein shake. Hope this doesn't offend but based on the type of food you had if you went up at all the next day you will probably release it later today or tomorrow (if you know what I mean) ;-0). I know you didn't go to Taco Bell but we call it Taco Hell because of the aftermath. LOL.
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    That is NUTS... who would have thought it could even be close to that!!! I have only gone out to eat once since I started really using this site correctly. I went to a restaurant that has weight watcher meals under 500 calories so I didn't have to think to hard.

I miss eating out.... and I LOVE Mexican
    I still eat out 3-4 times a week. If this was something I had to give up I wouldn't have been able to stick with it. I go to restaurants that I know what my options are and choose wisely. I have made the OP's mistake before and now if I go somewhere new I check it out before hand to avoid doing it again.
    And I still have Mexican about once a month :)
    ETA: I don't do fast food anylonger, never was a huge fan of it so it's been easy for me to cut it out.

Do you mind sharing some of your favorite restaurants & what you eat? I was shocked & disappointed at Panera's calories! I lOve it there and could not believe the high calorie turkey on wheat....bummer. Better for you, but almost equivalent in calories for a McDonald burger!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia. We've a restaurant called Zaxby's here. I've always loved their salads. I can't eat them anymore. 1 salad is about 2000 calories. It's like you can have that salad, but it will be all you eat that day.

You can reduce the calorie count drastically if you request that they leave certain items out/off, use the fat free/low cal dressing and opt for grilled chicken.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Call it a spike day and move on!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A little OT but I wish Canada would adopt rules requiring restaurants to disclose the nutritional content of their menu items (some do it voluntarily). If people actually knew what they were shoving down their gullets they could at least make informed choices (or alt least the ones who cared enough to read the information)
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Agreed, skip the rice, get black beans, meat, veggies, salsa, cheese stop. 700 calories but now check the salt OMG what? Still go but only every other month or so instead of weekly.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    FAst food is still doable. A fresca bean burrito at Taco Bell is 350. I'm usually good with 1 but I know many people need two (700). My favorite is Mexican pizza made with beans and that's 470. Sonic is my favorite. I get the grilled chicken sandwich without mayo for 320. At McDonalds, 2 grilled chicken snack wraps for 500 or The grilled chicken sandwich for 350. There's also the asian salad with mandarin oranges for 270 (best choice). Surprisingly the Big Mac is 570, I thought It would be more. Burger King veggie burger 410, w/o cheese or mayo 320. Tendergrill sandwich ONLY 235!(Their grilled chicken is 650!) TGI FRIdays Jack Daniel's chicken (my favorite) 620 for TWO BREATS!. Otherwise I pick from the calorie counter section of the menu. CAme in handy at Ruby Tuesday, ended up with... grilled chicken meal for 490 (included cheddar potatoes.) and at Romano's Macaroni Grille, chicken Piccata 280!
    I also skip the fries and get a diet soda LOL
    (This was very helpful for me)
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    That is alot. At least you now know. There are many people who don't have any idea of how many calories are in things. It is hard because sometimes you don't want to be a spoilsport & go along with eating at Fast Food Restaurant, but I guess you have to put your foot down & say no. I bet it wasn't even that good, the food anyways.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    In NY its a state law that they have to put the calorie count on all food. I was shocked by the calorie counts in food. Very rarely is something under 1000 calories.
    ^^^^ This! In Maryland it's law too, and if you go out to eat...unless you HEAVILY modify it, it's generally over 1000 calories. Even salads. It's unREAL.
    Wow!!! I live in TX so we're too red for that to ever happen lol.. But my husband and I were just talking about how that should be required so people are able to make better decisions..