Is breakfast the hardest meal for you too?

Options
For the last forty years, I've been dedicated carbs & sweets aficionado for breakfast. From donuts to cinnamon buns to PB&J sandwiches (yeah, TONS of sugar in those). Although I've been doing pretty good in the four weeks since I've started, the egg white on whole wheat muffin and blueberry yogurt is really starting to get on my nerves. Since I've seeing good results so far, I am motivated to keep trying, but I can easily see in a couple months having a complete breakdown and eating three custard filled donuts for breakfast every day for a week!

Replies

• Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually my highest calorie meal of the day. i have a bowl of oatmeal with 2 teaspoons brown sugar and just recently started adding some raisins to it. And I also have a protein drink made with unsweetened almond milk. It keeps me incredibly full for a few hours. :)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try some bacon and eggs maybe? Lots of protein to keep you full, and not as high in calories as you might think.

I had this this morning and it only came to around 350, and that's with fried tomatoes and some melon afterwards.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Why not change it up a bit then? www.skinnytaste.com has some really great recipies.

If I want a sweet breakfast then I usually have a fruit smoothie, or some pancakes dipped in fruit flavored yogurt. I don't see why you couldn't have a doughnut if you wanted to as long as you had something else more nutritionally sound
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I mix it up but 3 pieces of toast with PBJ and a coffee (with 3 spoons of pure cane sugar) and a glass of milk has about the same calories as one of my bowls of cereal (2 cups of Kashi Go Lean crunch, 1 cup of Crave Double chocolate cereal, and 1 cup of Milk and the coffee) also do the Egg, Swiss Cheese, muffin, and jimmy dean turkey sausage with coffee and a glass of milk these are all very comparable in calorie count... Now of course I don't do donuts... lol Just mix it up and that should keep you from getting bored with what you are eating.....
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I usually go out to eat...........I get a ham & cheese omelet, and toast, and coffee (light on the ham----just for a little flavor)
    ...............I eat half the omelet, and 1 piece of toast.....then I have the other half at home, another day.................(If I do the crossword puzzles in the newspaper, while eating, my mind is on the puzzles, and not the food
    so it's not hard to NOT eat the whole thing)

sometimes I have an english muffin, with land o lakes cinnamon butter...........yum, and NOT too terrible on calories

another suggestion is a small bowl of special K fruit and yogurt, or raisin bran, or rice krispies (with banana) cereal..............

I used to have peanut butter on things, like english muffin, but that skyrockets my calories...........so once in a blue moon, i will do that........

Those are just SOME of the things I vary for breakfast!!!!!
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started making a bfast smoothie. I was sooo sick of eggs, bacon etc.

1 banana
    1 pear
    strawberries,blueberries/blackberreies or frozen berries
    1/2 cup of plain yogurt
    2 tbls ground flaxseed
    splash of oj
    ice cubes

It usually makes 2 servings. It is filling, and refreshing. Yogurt and flaxseed keep me full. I like that I don't start my day with high sodium, plus it hydrates your body after a night.

Now I rotate eggs and turkey bacon; cottage cheese and fruit, energy bar and this smoothie.
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I mix it up but 3 pieces of toast with PBJ and a coffee (with 3 spoons of pure cane sugar) and a glass of milk has about the same calories as one of my bowls of cereal (2 cups of Kashi Go Lean crunch, 1 cup of Crave Double chocolate cereal, and 1 cup of Milk and the coffee) also do the Egg, Swiss Cheese, muffin, and jimmy dean turkey sausage with coffee and a glass of milk these are all very comparable in calorie count... Now of course I don't do donuts... lol Just mix it up and that should keep you from getting bored with what you are eating.....

I didn't write mine in reply to yours..................just so you know.............we posted at the same time.............it just sounds like I replied to yours...........sorry...............:wink:
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Try oats - there's so much you can do with them!
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    from as young as i can remember i ate ready brek for breakfast and still do most days, strange that i have never got bored of it
  • Lululagrand
    Lululagrand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Juicing gives me sustained energy all day! I look forward to the mornings and blending away! Carrot juice is my breakfast staple! :) I
    like to add pink Grapefruit, pineapple, ginger...lots of lean greens...ooh la la!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Like many of the posters said, mix it up a bit. It's tough to wean yourself over the am sugar rush you are familiar with. Look at this way, you at the same ol same ol for a number of years.

I am a big fan of breakfast. I have lox (without the schmear and bagel) with tomato and capers. Or I have some kind of organic cold or hot cereal. I eat fruit, yogurt, soy milk. Sometimes I have a sweet potato and string cheese. Eggs and toast. I don't each as much meat, I am weaning myself off it -- it's just a personal preference. However, there is bacon w/o sodium nitrates.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi. I am not much of a breakfast eater but since I have started this journey it has become one of my favorite meals. If you are up to trying different things....
    Special K Cereal with Low fat Soy Milk
    A smoothie with frozen banana's, peanut butter, and Low fat soy milk. (Smoothies are fun because you can change them up and put pretty much anything you want into them.)
    My favorite so far has been a whole wheat bagel toasted, I make an omelet with one egg, one egg white, mushrooms, spinach, and feta cheese I put that on the dry bagel and add a tablespoon of salsa. It has approx. 250 calories and will fill you up for the rest of your morning.
    Looking for and creating low calorie options are part of the fun :-) Good luck and if you have sweets make sure you stay in moderation. Sometimes those yummy donuts can be hard to pass up :-) Good luck.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal. Mostly because I just like breakfast food. This morning I had egg and sausage on a biscuit and it was 400cals. Some days I'll have fruit and a hard boiled egg or sometimes yogurt and fruits. I usually skip out on any cereals and oats but I really like them later in the day.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Since I'm vegetarian, I often eat leftover vegetables from the previous night's dinner, incorporated with a grain (quinoa or barley) or sprouted grain bread. I also LOVE oatmeal and could easily get into an oatmeal rut so I use the leftovers to help keep me from falling into that particular routine.
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast eater, at least not on a regular basis. Since starting MFP and logging my food I noticed that regardless of what I eat for breakfast on the the days I do eat breakfast I am hungrier at lunch and end up eating more calories overall for the day. I don't get it - I would think I would be less hungry. So, I'm back to not eating breakfast - just having 16ounces of water.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I love breakfast!!! I find it so easy to eat for breakfast.

Some options are Oatmeal, Kashi Go Lean (use natural sugars), bran flakes, fresh berries, yogurt, granola, Grapefruit w/ whole wheat toast and almond butter, protein shakes, etc.

Sometimes I just grab an apple, cut up a few cubes of cheese, and have some walnuts on the side. It is an easy no fuss breakfast...

Or, take a slice of crusty bread, spread it with 3 tablespoons of low-fat ricotta, and add tomatoes. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil (about 1 teaspoon) and a little salt and pepper. It is like having pizza for breakfast...yummy!

And eggs...you can do 101 things with eggs...omelettes (loaded with all your fave veggies), frittata, hard boiled, fried, etc etc etc.... You can go wild with eggs.
  • kmjoctober
    kmjoctober Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my hardest too. I don't like most breakfast foods. Sometimes I eat leftover dinner for breakfast.. Lol

I haven't had anything to eat yet this morning and my stomach's growling but nothing looks appetizing!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Try some bacon and eggs maybe? Lots of protein to keep you full, and not as high in calories as you might think.

I had this this morning and it only came to around 350, and that's with fried tomatoes and some melon afterwards.

This is what I have had for breakfast almost daily for a month. The good thing for me is I haven't bored of it yet! I eat four pieces of Butterball Turkey Bacon @ 25 cals a piece. Then two eggs @ 70 calories a piece. Some days I might eat an orange or toast or cinnamon raisin bagel with it. The cinnamon raisin thin bagel is good and sweet and low cal! You could even get some of the sweeter versions of Laughing Cow at 35-40 calories to go with it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    OMG, yes! I either didn't eat breakfast, or ate something horrible for me (mmm, cake for breakfast!) Today I woke up starving, fixed my bowl of yogurt with fruit and nuts, ate two bites, and then got bored :tongue:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Breakfast got a lot easier when I stopped eating it. Intermittent Fasting via Leangains was a watershed for me.