Beginner wanting to take classes?

Options
Ok- so I'm looking for some advice & encouragement here. I joined a gym a few weeks ago and have been going pretty regularly. I usually hit up the elliptical for about 40 min and then walk & run in intervals on the treadmill for about 30 min. By that time, I usually head home because I have 2 small kids & a busy schedule. (I've also been doing 30DS everyday so I'm getting some strength training in also)

Here's my question: I would like to take some (or a) group exercise class. I'm nervous to go to a class for the first time!! I really do think I'd push myself more by trying to keep-up but I'm so nervous I'd embarrass myself if I wasn't able to do all the moves. I can barely get through the 30day shred ones at home! I know, I know- who cares what other people think....but what was your first time like joining up with a new class? Do newbies stick out like a sore thumb? I just need a little push I suppose.

OH- and there are only 2 classes this month that are 'beginner' ones and both are ones I have no interest in doing. I'm interested in taking a step or spin class and MAYYYYBE zumba?

Replies

• JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Zumba is really fun and you can go at your own pace. Good luck with whatever you decide.:smile:
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know- all my friends love zumba but I've always been a little embarrassed to take a 'dance' class lol. I suppose it's different when everyone else is doing the same moves though!!?!
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There will be new people in each class and you probably won't be the only one. Next week you won't be the newby anymore because someone else will. So the new feeling only lasts one class.
    I liked Zumba because in my first class everyone, even the regulars, looked crazy not just me. I didnt feel like I stuck out.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely recommend Zumba.

I started with doing a couple of yoga classes to get over my initial worries. Then I took a couple of step classes. The trick is to ask a trainer or someone who works there about the kind of instructors teaching the class. The trainer was able to tell me which teachers were a bit more hard core (usually the early morning classes). A 5am step or spin class usually has the same people in it every time and the instructor ramps it up to keep them motivated. The 9 am step class was by an instructor who also taught Zumba and was more about varying the workout and making it fun. Also, maybe peeking in on the classes you are interested in might give you a better idea as to what to expect. I would love to take a Body Pump class but I'm not there physically yet. My plan is to buy myself classes this spring as a reward. Good luck!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You're only the newbie the first time and no one will notice after about 5 minutes so try not to worry. I was the same, didn't dare do a dance class in case I tripped over at the front (and yeah that would've been a insanely comedy fall not just an average run of the mill trip of course). I would suggest go try a few different classes, some you will fall into step with much easier than others. Trust me every one else will be too busy concentrating on doing their own thing to be watching you x
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok- so I'm looking for some advice & encouragement here. I joined a gym a few weeks ago and have been going pretty regularly. I usually hit up the elliptical for about 40 min and then walk & run in intervals on the treadmill for about 30 min. By that time, I usually head home because I have 2 small kids & a busy schedule. (I've also been doing 30DS everyday so I'm getting some strength training in also)

Here's my question: I would like to take some (or a) group exercise class. I'm nervous to go to a class for the first time!! I really do think I'd push myself more by trying to keep-up but I'm so nervous I'd embarrass myself if I wasn't able to do all the moves. I can barely get through the 30day shred ones at home! I know, I know- who cares what other people think....but what was your first time like joining up with a new class? Do newbies stick out like a sore thumb? I just need a little push I suppose.

OH- and there are only 2 classes this month that are 'beginner' ones and both are ones I have no interest in doing. I'm interested in taking a step or spin class and MAYYYYBE zumba?
    Just so you know..I was once a beginner and the first 3 minutes I was maybe a little shy but it passed immediately!! Honestly most people arent even paying you attention. I have met some good friends in my group classes and now I am always in the front....I still mess up...and I really dont care!!! Do yourself a favor and try it!! You will love it!
  • allison_42
    Options
    I love spinning! You can go at your own pace, control your own resistance, and most spin classes usually dim the lights. Honestly, people probably aren't paying as much attention to you as you think. I never watch anyone when I go to group classes, I'm usually just concerned with getting the best workout I can for myself!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Talk to the instructor at the beginning of class. Pretty much any group exercise move can be modified to a beginner's level. If the instructor knows you are new, they can offer modifications. Treadmill and Elliptical are great, but maybe try changing it up for a strength training class (BodyPump, Pilates, Yoga, etc) a few days a week.

There is no shame in working at your own level. When I took my first pilates class, even the most basic exercises were tough. I just worked at my own level and kept going to class. Once I had mastered each level, I moved on to the next modification, making each exercise more challenging. My core strength has improved tremendously.

It was the same for spin and then running. The first workout is the toughest. But, every workout is really self paced so you can push as much or as little as you need to.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Classes are so great! I go five days a week to the six am classes at my gym. I was nervous at first, but the funny thing is, there is a little group of three older ladies that are in the classes too, except the really hard one, I think it's called Bodypump, where it's an hour of karate/boxing/kicking and really wears you out. But they go to the other classes and they are adorable! Really, at every class, there are people like you. Trust me. There will be people who have as much to lose, or have only been to a class one or two times. So you will fall right in with them and no matter what, they will be happy to see you. Instructors are always glad to see new students, and the rest of the class will help you with anything because they were once in your shoes.

You will love it once you start going regularly. I have been going since Jan and I am addicted~
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. I took my first class which was group power-- a muscular endurance class-- and the instructor saw me and explained everything we would be doing and helped me set up my weights and weight bench. Go early to class, and the instructor will usually be there to greet new folks. If you are still unsure, hang out in the back for a couple classes.

Another thing..... trust me... if there are mirrors in the classroom..... people will be too concerned about how THEY look to YOU, and will be checking themselves out in the mirror, not you. :) I quickly learned that when I was the biggest person in the class. I even made friends by taking classes.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    The first thing my Zumba instructor says every class is that this isn't a dance competition, just keep moving if you get lost :happy: If you take Zumba you probably won't catch on to all the choreography the first class but don't give up. Even if you're not doing all the moves correctly it's still a blast! I've also taken a Turbo Kick class at my gym, yes I'd mess up some of the moves but I still had the best time working my butt off. Try the group classes, you won't regret it!
  • pizwit
    Options
    I am a group fitness instructor - I teach step aerobics and I also teach ZUMBA 4 times a week. The thing you need to do is just DO IT !!! Any good fitness instructor is watching and giving modified moves for "anyone" that needs them... not just newbies. Maybe there is a veteran that is a little "sluggish" that day... a modified move is what they need until they are able to go back to their normal pace. I would encourage you to introduce yourself to the instructor - If they have large classes that are a constant turn-over the instructor might not know what you need or where you are starting. Having said that I would also say that a good instructor is giving modifications for EVERY move they are teaching.....

My class of preference is the ZUMBA classes. It is the most fun and it is amazing how time FLIES.... at the end of the hour you are just really ready to get it all going. AND Zumba is a class that you can work at your own pace. I have 3 generations in each class. The people range from 16 - 78. No other class I have ever taught has been that way. I love that we ALL can get fit together.
  • carmy43
    carmy43 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Taking classes was hard for me too.My weight is 300 lbs. Talk about being embarrassed and ashamed.I called about the classes In December but it took me till last Monday Feb 20th to go and do it. Its not easy being this big and working out.I struggle thru it but I am "moving".I am doing Les Mills Body Pump.Once I was there everyone was wonderful and so supportive! And in only a week I feel a slight difference in my body.It can only get better!
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the awesome tips and advice!! It's just the push I needed!! Tomorrow I'm going to be serious about looking into times of classes!!

:blushing: thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i would suggest a strength building class since you're already doing so much cardio on your own. a body pump class would be good. or if you take a cardio class, then definitely switch out the elliptical or walking time with some resistance training.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Unless the class says ADVANCED you should try it out. If you can talk to the instructor before class let him/her know your fitness level and they will show modifications to the exercises. I had not done fitnesses classes in almost 10 years and started going last year. Each of the instructors gave modifications throughout the class. FYI Keep your stepper on level one lol
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Unless the class says ADVANCED you should try it out. If you can talk to the instructor before class let him/her know your fitness level and they will show modifications to the exercises. I had not done fitnesses classes in almost 10 years and started going last year. Each of the instructors gave modifications throughout the class. FYI Keep your stepper on level one lol