Heavy Lifting For Women?

Options
2»

Replies

• Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    a while back, I was in OK shape. Then I started with a trainer and got into seriously awesome shape. During that time, I probably went to the gym 5 times a week: 3 days cardio, and 2 days JUST weights. My muscles were great. They don't get big or anything, just toned. My roommate (who was a fashion designer and part time model) used to say I had "celebrity arms!" because they didn't have flab, but they were nice and lean and shapely. I fit into awfully small jeans, too, which looked rockin.

Now, after a fairly traumatic last 3 years, I'm trying to lose weight. I make sure I do an hour of cardio maybe 4 times a week. And then I have a trainer kick my *kitten* for a solid hour, with weights. When I started lifting with him again, I noticed the weight started dropping FAST: its all muscle mass, and muscle just burns more calories. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Win!

Lift weights!! You'll be a trimmer, leaner, stronger, more shapely person!
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Women are much stronger than that!

Yeah we are!!!!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Totally forgot to ask how many times a week do you all lift weights ..... Oops :laugh:

if you lift correctly, i.e. heavy, then every second day. Your day off weights can be used for cardio, or you can just use it for rest.

I personally don't buy into the split of upper body one day, lower body the next day which allows you to do each muscle group twice a week - if you lift heavy enough you don't need and shouldn't be able to exercise the same muscle group twice in one week.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Don't start heavy. Start with a comfortable weight so that you get your form down. Work gradually to heavy as you progress.
    Everyone says lift heavy but always forget to mention anything about correct form so you don't injure yourself.

Seriously, get a trainer or someone who knows what they're doing.

Squats and dead lifts for example. If you don't have correct form.. you'll **** yourself up
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't start heavy. Start with a comfortable weight so that you get your form down. Work gradually to heavy as you progress.
    Everyone says lift heavy but always forget to mention anything about correct form so you don't injure yourself.

Squats and dead lifts for example. If you don't have correct form.. you'll **** yourself up

This!!!!!!! Do proper form! Work your way up gradualy. 5% increase in weight per week if comfortable.
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Thanks! The gym I go to is really strict on paying for training, speaking with a trainer, ect. so this is great advice! I'll do as much research as I can on proper form, or try to talk to some of the people lifting weights at the gym! Thanks again..
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!