half marathon training - how long does one train for?

Options
Hello all!

I found a half marathon I'd like to sign up for. There is an option of a 10K, which I'm training for now, but if I can, I'd love to do the half marathon. It's in July, think I could pull 13 miles running by then? I can run a 5K now, but I'm not sure how long people train for marathons. Any advice from runners would be helpful.

Thank you! :drinker:

Replies

• mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can! I followed Hal Higdon's 12 week novice program when training for my first. Just stick with the training schedule and you'll be ready!
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    do it! i've been training for about 8 weeks for my half in 3 weeks :)
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ditto, follow Hal Higdon's plan! And really follow it. The first time around, I followed it only loosely and was injured. The second time, I followed it to the letter and had a great time! You can do it!!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Here's one I'm working with...

I rearranged it slightly to not have as many back to back run days.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Half-Marathon-Training-Schedule-Beginners-2845222
  • heyemz
    heyemz Posts: 12
    Options
    I am running my first half marathon in June! I am going to follow this: http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html

Good luck! :)
  • Chiclet26
    Options
    Ya! You have plenty of time. If you are running 3 miles regularly now you are all set to go. check out training schedules online. Search for half marathon ones and find one that seems right for you. They are all very similar and are all roughly 12 weeks. Good luck!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely possible. Jeff Galloway also has a half marathon training program.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon ~ he got me through my first 2 and I am in week 3 of training for my next half at the end of April...
  • FitNWise
    FitNWise Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree - you can definitely be ready by July. I started training in late October 2009 for my first half marathon (using Hal Higdon's novice program) and ran it the first week of January 2010. I was 52 at the time - not young, LOL!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use Hal Higdon as well but I like to train to at least 12 for a half and Hal only has you go to 10. He says if you can run 10, you can run a half marathon. I just feel I'm better prepared if I run the full distance before the race or come close. So I start training a few weeks earlier and add on some higher mileage runs before tapering.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    13.1 miles I think. :p It all depends on where you are starting from. I'd say 12-15 weeks if you start with the ability to make 5 miles.
  • kandy221
    Options
    bump-I want to run my first half marathon this year
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been training for two months. I've already jogged 13.25 miles during training but usually jog anywhere from 5 - 8 miles through out the week. Weekends are longer. 9 - 12 miles.
  • jdavison91
    Options
    Yep, Hal Higdon's program is the way to go. I followed that training program for my first half marathon and was able to finish it in just under 2 hours. The program is easy to follow and allows you to build slowly. I did the program on a 12 week schedule although I think there are options for other lengths.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Heck, yeah. You have plenty of time. I'm doing Hal Higdon's Novice 2 for my first Half in May. Good luck
  • comiclady24
    Options
    Thank you all! I will certainly look into hal's program. Great to know I have enough time!! Thanks everyone!!! :happy:
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I once went from zero (as in no exercise drinking and smoking) to running a marathon in 6 months. I did it with a marathon coach.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can also find free (excellent) training plans at runnersworld.com for all distances and for all levels (new runner to advanced).

I used their intermediate plan to get ready for the Hypothermic Half last January (yes, running in winter is a strange Canadian thing) and turned in a 2:17.

For a novice runner I would plan on nothing less than 16 weeks to get up to half-marathon distances. Consistency and steady, slow progress are necessities.

You might want to check for running clubs in your area. Most are very welcoming of new runners and getting out for group runs is something a lot of people find helpful.