Aspartame????

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Before you throw them out, can you mail the Crystal Light packets to me? I'm running low, and with my paralysis, I won't be able to get to the store to get more, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to find them with my blindness.

I know I shouldn't joke about such things, but I am severely nearsighted, and my eyesight has not changed one bit since switching to diet beverages more than 10 years ago.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Before you throw them out, can you mail the Crystal Light packets to me? I'm running low, and with my paralysis, I won't be able to get to the store to get more, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to find them with my blindness.

I know I shouldn't joke about such things, but I am severely nearsighted, and my eyesight has not changed one bit since switching to diet beverages more than 10 years ago.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels suggests that artificial sweeteners affect your liver and the way in which your hormones work.

Hmm.. I wonder where Jillian Michaels got her biochemistry degree from, and what her thesis was?
    Lol.... I realize Jillian is not a biochemist.... I am not either, but I did take biochemistry in college, so I do understand a little about biochemistry. I also understand that biochemistry is a very very complex field, and that just because the FDA approves something doesnt mean it can be trusted to be 100% safe. I do know they put things to very extensive testing (it about takes an act of congress to get a new methodology approved for a laboratory test) but noone can predict what effects substances have 20, 30, 40 years down the road. I really think each individual has to be wary, and try to figure out what is right for them.
  • kaweenf
    kaweenf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is made by growing ecoli in controlled environments then feeding it toxic waste. Aspartame is what they poop out. Seriously.

Don't put this in your body. The only people that are super in favor of its production belong to the aspartame industry. They are also responsible for the tests that make it seem as though it is totally safe.

One more interesting fact...the guy who was pushing it like there was no tomorrow back in the day was none other than...Donald Rumsfeld. I'm sure that guy would NEVER do anything to risk human life. Not THAT guy.

I'm not one to comment on politics, so your fearmongering re: Donald Rumsfeld (and how that has anything to do with nutrition and biochemical pathways in any case) aside, I will address your ignorance regarding the manufacture of aspartame. It's a simple fermentation process. Fermentation is the term used to refer to any bacterial culture and is used widely for manufacture of a lot of pharmaceutical processes, as well as every single type of alcohol. Yes, there are synthetic ways to do this stuff, but harnessing the biomolecular pathways of an organism is much easier.

So, first of all, the organism used is not e. coli. The FDA would have a field day with that. The bacteria used are B. flavum and C. glutamicum -- likely cultured from ATCC strains and kept at all applicable quality standards for biotech manufacturing per ICH, FDA, ISO, etc.

Second of all, they are not fed "toxic waste" -- the bacteria have to be cultured at very specific conditions in very specific media to produce the wanted results at an optimal quality and quantity. The medium probably contains a whole lot of glucose and protein, and is probably nitrogenated and sparged with oxygen at a fairly large quantity.

Truth be told, this process is a whole lot cleaner than the way beer is made, so if you're wary of consuming bacterial by-products, I'd avoid beer or any alcohol if I were you. And most foods, for that matter.

Here's a nice article you can read: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Aspartame.html#b

It describes in more detail the manufacturing process, precursors, and purification process.

Again, guys, please do your research. Science is a good thing, don't promote scientific ignorance through home-bred rumors and fear-mongering!
  • kaweenf
    Options
    Jillian Michaels suggests that artificial sweeteners affect your liver and the way in which your hormones work.

Hmm.. I wonder where Jillian Michaels got her biochemistry degree from, and what her thesis was?
    Lol.... I realize Jillian is not a biochemist.... I am not either, but I did take biochemistry in college, so I do understand a little about biochemistry. I also understand that biochemistry is a very very complex field, and that just because the FDA approves something doesnt mean it can be trusted to be 100% safe. I do know they put things to very extensive testing (it about takes an act of congress to get a new methodology approved for a laboratory test) but noone can predict what effects substances have 20, 30, 40 years down the road. I really think each individual has to be wary, and try to figure out what is right for them.

I understand that, but look at it this way: the contents of one packet of aspartame contains about 35 mg apsartame. Any applicable laboratory test will tell you that this amount of the chemical has absolutely no effect on metabolic activity or body chemistry; you can't even measure an increase in methanol blood concentration, not even a tiny bit; undetectable! It can be safely assumed that aspartame is eliminated from the body in a very short time, therefore long-term consequences and effects are highly, HIGHLY improbable.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is made by growing ecoli in controlled environments then feeding it toxic waste. Aspartame is what they poop out. Seriously.

Don't put this in your body. The only people that are super in favor of its production belong to the aspartame industry. They are also responsible for the tests that make it seem as though it is totally safe.

One more interesting fact...the guy who was pushing it like there was no tomorrow back in the day was none other than...Donald Rumsfeld. I'm sure that guy would NEVER do anything to risk human life. Not THAT guy.
    Thanks for the info. Those organisms are "good" organisms found in everyones gut - they populate the intestines and keep the "bad" bacteria from taking over.

I'm not one to comment on politics, so your fearmongering re: Donald Rumsfeld (and how that has anything to do with nutrition and biochemical pathways in any case) aside, I will address your ignorance regarding the manufacture of aspartame. It's a simple fermentation process. Fermentation is the term used to refer to any bacterial culture and is used widely for manufacture of a lot of pharmaceutical processes, as well as every single type of alcohol. Yes, there are synthetic ways to do this stuff, but harnessing the biomolecular pathways of an organism is much easier.

So, first of all, the organism used is not e. coli. The FDA would have a field day with that. The bacteria used are B. flavum and C. glutamicum -- likely cultured from ATCC strains and kept at all applicable quality standards for biotech manufacturing per ICH, FDA, ISO, etc.

Second of all, they are not fed "toxic waste" -- the bacteria have to be cultured at very specific conditions in very specific media to produce the wanted results at an optimal quality and quantity. The medium probably contains a whole lot of glucose and protein, and is probably nitrogenated and sparged with oxygen at a fairly large quantity.

Truth be told, this process is a whole lot cleaner than the way beer is made, so if you're wary of consuming bacterial by-products, I'd avoid beer or any alcohol if I were you. And most foods, for that matter.

Here's a nice article you can read: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Aspartame.html#b

It describes in more detail the manufacturing process, precursors, and purification process.

Again, guys, please do your research. Science is a good thing, don't promote scientific ignorance through home-bred rumors and fear-mongering!
    Sorry, my reply got stuck up above this, so I reentered it. Those bacteria are the "good" bacteria which populate the gut and keep other "bad" bacteria from growing. Thanks for the info.
  • kaweenf
    Options
    Sorry, my reply got stuck up above this, so I reentered it. Those bacteria are the "good" bacteria which populate the gut and keep other "bad" bacteria from growing. Thanks for the info.

It's cool bro. Consequently, it's been shown that for people with messed up stomach flora (I think IBS? though I'm not exactly sure, I'm not that kind of scientist) can essentially be cured by "bombing" their stomachs with the proper flora and allowing it to propagate in that environment, killing off the unwanted bacteria. This essentially comes down to replacing "bad" stomach bacteria with "good" stomach bacteria by ingesting someone else's stomach bacteria (isolated from their excrement).

Yes it sounds gross but studies have shown for it to be very effective and logically, scientifically, it makes a whole lot of sense. We're born "clean" and develop our unique mix of stomach bacteria over time with what we eat and process. It's a thriving ecosystem in our guts.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    It's people. Aspartame is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It's people. Aspartame is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

tumblr_kyhdnqXAR31qa9armo1_r4_500.jpg
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    There is no clinical proof anywhere from any study I have ever seen or has been proven to me that Aspartame is harmful in any way.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Ahh, you beat me to it! :laugh:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

so anytime I see the evil word "aspartame" in a thread, I'm just going to post "Soylent Green" over and over and over and over.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Great minds think alike!
  • Chicketi
    Chicketi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You know by this logic beer is yeast poop. We enjoy many benefits from microbes believe me I see it alot in my field (I'm a microbiology graduate student). It is very simplistic to suggest the questionable derivative and processes of creating aspartame will mean the final product will be equally harmful. If that is the case, it might just seem that water obtained via reverse osmosis from waste - although tested as pure h2o - will similarly be 'impure' .
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When I was thinking about getting pregnant I went to a naturopath to go over my diet.. She only told me to cut out anything aspertame, splenda , etc since it can cause birth defects in babies... So I gave it up, and noticed my 5x a week headaches went down to ZERO! Just makes you wonder what that stuff is doing to you
  • Chicketi
    Options
  • Chicketi
    Options

It's cool bro. Consequently, it's been shown that for people with messed up stomach flora (I think IBS? though I'm not exactly sure, I'm not that kind of scientist) can essentially be cured by "bombing" their stomachs with the proper flora and allowing it to propagate in that environment, killing off the unwanted bacteria. This essentially comes down to replacing "bad" stomach bacteria with "good" stomach bacteria by ingesting someone else's stomach bacteria (isolated from their excrement).

Yes it sounds gross but studies have shown for it to be very effective and logically, scientifically, it makes a whole lot of sense. We're born "clean" and develop our unique mix of stomach bacteria over time with what we eat and process. It's a thriving ecosystem in our guts.

You are 100% correct. For many gut issues including outbreaks of C. difficile, the remedy is to actually do what is known as fecal transplant (a technique of fecal biotherapy) in which they take literally poop from healthy individuals and use an enema to transfer it into an unhealthy individual with a confirmed case of C. diff, and the good gut flora from the donor will propagate and help to restore the patients normal gut flora and help combat C. difficile
  • Chicketi
    Options

You know by this logic beer is yeast poop. We enjoy many benefits from microbes believe me I see it alot in my field (I'm a microbiology graduate student). It is very simplistic to suggest the questionable derivative and processes of creating aspartame will mean the final product will be equally harmful. If that is the case, it might just seem that water obtained via reverse osmosis from waste - although tested as pure h2o - will similarly be 'impure'
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    I to have been reading many articles on this, magazines, on line, other friends.....I through all my diet junk out, went and bought some flavored water and didn't realize even that has aspartame in it, so down the drain it went, wasted 10 bucks, so I will stick with water and sugar in my coffee:ohwell:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I heard it was *kitten* that made you go blind? I guess if you're going to lose your sight, you're going to have to choose diet coke or a hand shandy.