Quinoa

Options
Italian_mom
Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
Hello, I'm currently trying out quinoa, and was wondering if anyone had some good recipes to use with it, or even just to add to it?

Replies

• amberinco
    Options
    Martha Stewart has a yummy breakfast quinoa recipe, but I eat it for dinner sometimes (I only make half the recipe, the whole thing is way too much for me!)

Also, on these boards I have found cinnamon quinoa bake: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/493997-cinnamon-quinoa-bake

You can also look on pinterest. Just search for quinoa and you'll find snacks, quinoa mac n cheese, etc

Good luck!
  • donaldonaldonald
    Options
    Quinoa salad: add sliced green onions, mint leaves, dried cranberries, nuts (optional), lime juice. So good.
  • LoriInIowa
    Options
    Quinoa salad: add sliced green onions, mint leaves, dried cranberries, nuts (optional), lime juice. So good.

^^ this, plus some chopped green (red, yellow or orange!) pepper and chopped cucumber!

Yum!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at eating it "plain" like rice always make it with chicken/beef/veggie stock instead of water. If you are doing it for breakfast, like oatmeal, make it with milk.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I've been meaning to try Quinoa. I'll have to try some of these recipes.
  • rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I make a quinoa 'salad' with avocado chunks, sliced cucumbers, lemon juice, a tsp of olive oil, and some adobo seasoning. It is really good, and really filling! You could also add tomato, green onions and cilantro, but I never do :)
  • alliover
    alliover Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try this one. I heat up approx 3/4 cup in the microwave for a minute and then add a half cup of skim milk bringing the calorie count up to almost 200.

Cranberry Raisin Quinoa
    2 cups cooked quinoa
    1/2 cup Thompson seedless raisins
    1/3 cup Craisins
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp Splenda
    1/4 cup skim milk

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Heat one serving up in microwave until warm and then pour 1/2 cup skim milk over it.

Makes 6 servings at approx. 150 calories per serving (without extra skim milk). Will keep in fridge for 4 or 5 days.

Carbs – 30g
    Fat – 1g
    Protein – 3g
    Sodium – 13mg
    Fiber – 3g
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great recipes, cant wait to try them!!
  • HILMAN76
    Options
    I add mushrooms to the pot and let it cook together, I love Quinoa. I have added a small box of craisins also, its delicious!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Tried a quinoa recipe this evening and didn't particularly care for it. But I like the texture of the quinoa just fine so....tagging this thread for more recipe ideas! ^_^
  • TCWE
    TCWE Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I sautee in a little bit of oil: small cubes of zuchinni and onions(and any other veggies of choice- peppers,mushrooms....)
    Then I add chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
    Add the quinoa and put on a medium heat and cover. Let cook till all the liquid is gone!
    Its super easy and really yum!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So far I've tried adding sauteed mushrooms and spinach to it, with some red pepper for heat (yum), and a recipe from allrecipe.com black beans and quinoa. It has corn in it too. Yummy. I make full recipes on Sunday nights and then divvy it up for my lunches for the week.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I like to eat it plain as a side dish with almost anything.