I've been plateaued for months!

Options
I don't get it. I've raised my calories, lowered them, raised them again. I work out 3-5 times a week, I have to climb 5 flights of stairs every day, etc. and it's still 160-170 every day. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    let me know what you find out!! I have been stuck since Oct 19th!!!!!!! I would love some help!!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Post your diaries.

And tell us more about HOW you log your food, how you determine how much you are eating and how many exercise calories you are expending.

Forgetting to log and guestimating portion size are common causes. Your body has an amazing ability to keep a stable weight if you don't measure precisely.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. It is very frustrating!
    I've been on my plateau since Mid November. Not more than 3lbs up or down, but always right around 290....
  • intergalactick
    intergalactick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually put exact portions unless it's at a restaurant, and I burn about 200+ calories each workout. My food tends to stay within range, but what I eat isn't always completely nutritious. Maybe it's my macros or something...?
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Hi. If you make your diary public, we can see what you are eating and try to give you some tips.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Post your diaries.

And tell us more about HOW you log your food, how you determine how much you are eating and how many exercise calories you are expending.

Forgetting to log and guestimating portion size are common causes. Your body has an amazing ability to keep a stable weight if you don't measure precisely./

^^^^this

most likely not enough calories in.

also, how mixed are your workouts? Try doing something completely different, like pilates, or zumba or p90x, or insanity (assuming those are not already in your routine). Also, are you strength training in your workouts?
  • intergalactick
    intergalactick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Diaries are now public...
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Diaries are now public...

so far as I can tell, it's a bit erratic. usually under your goal, unless you aren't logging your exercises, I don't see enough!

might want to lower the carb intake a little (i'm not saying atkin's here!) and consider eating more frequently, 4-5 small meals/big snacks a day might help
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat up and down frustrating
    Lori
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    Not enough calories in general, but also you eat almost no whole, non-processed foods.
    Try replacing all of the processed sugar and flour in your diet with whole fresh fruits and vegetables. They will be much more filling and the sugars in them will help to level your insulin and mood.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    mine is open now too....any help would be appreciated. Please be kind :) I only have the last 8-10 pounds to go.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diaries, your food portions look like the portion sizes listed in the database. If you're measuring accurately, that isn't going to happen. For instance, I ate a red bell pepper yesterday. It was 100g. When you look in the database, the portion says, "large red bell pepper, 100g." But this was an unusually small bell pepper. Most are 200g or more. Most everything is supersized.

How are you measuring tablespoons of salad dressing or grams of food? You really need to use a food scale. And for thick/sticky foods like salad dressing or peanut butter, weigh the container before and after you take out your portion.

A 36 calorie banana would be amazingly small.
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Same here I exercise everyday now where as before didn't do much at all might only be light areobics and walking :)
  • kerri_thing_1
    kerri_thing_1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i have begun to plateau also. i had a stroke in november but the past few weeks i cant seem to shift anything. at the moment im a little limited on what workouts i can manage. ive tried to lower and add to my intake any suggestions? this is getting me down as i am trying so hard
  • robdowns
    Options
    It happened to me for a month and it's just started to move again downwards thankfully half a pound a week. The only think I have changed is my exercise and some of my diet. I have been running for a while and that has been my main source of exercise every other day.

but now I mix it up with a cross trainer (Elliptical runner) and I have started to walk up the stars at work and it's started to move again. Also my diet has started to get better as I lost the weight by keeping to my normal diet but exercising allot before. I’m trying to keep away from refined foods and started to have at least 2 vegetarian main meals a week. All I can think of is that my body has got used to the exercise and has become efficient in that exercise so you need to change it up walking up 8 floors is a killer the first week and the extra arm movment in the Elliptical runner. I planning to change it again in a couple of weeks if it stops again.
  • starrybirdy
    starrybirdy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water?6 to e8 glasses a day really do help. can be sugar-free squash or herb teas. I notice your piccy has beer, booze really can put a spanner in the works.:drinker:

Are you keeping track of your measurements you could be toning down and building muscle mass so your body shape will be improving but not showing on the scales
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Just based upon looking at your exercise I'd suggest upping your workout time to at least an hour or so and only log true working out (i.e. not cleaning). Working out for 20 min a few times a week doesn't give much room for error for caloric entries and may explain the plateau.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Just based upon looking at your exercise I'd suggest upping your workout time to at least an hour or so and only log true working out (i.e. not cleaning). Working out for 20 min a few times a week doesn't give much room for error for caloric entries and may explain the plateau.
    ^^^^^
    Unless the "workout" has got you working beyond what a brisk walk through the mall would do, don't log it. Also, consider getting an HRM for your workouts so that you are not over-estimating your exertion.

A persistent plateau suggests that the body has adapted and you are not doing enough to shake things up.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and have been for about 8 years. I can always keep my weight between 170-179 but I just can't seem to break that 170 point. I am hoping that by starting Jillian's Body Revolution today I will finally bust through 170 this week.

From what I have been seeing on the different forums, it looks like you probably need to change up your workout and maybe add on a little more cardio. I never track my cleaning calories, only calories burned during workouts.