Weights at the Gym?

Options

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have seen the regular weight users get a small notebook out - they all need to keep up with what they are lifting. So you probably won't be the only one if you take notes or a small notebook. You will look "professional" and like you know what you are doing.

^^^This^^^

Anybody serious about weight training needs to be tracking it either with a notebook, phone app, etc. Whatever system works best for you. How else can you track your progression? I figure anybody not tracking is just playing around and isn't really serious about what they're doing.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay so in the cardio section I feel comfortable as I know exactly what I'm doing.

In the weights section... I'm lost. I've had the employees make up a program and show me how to use the machines, but I still feel silly. I love using free weights, but I can never remember what to do & would feel rude to take my laptop and watch P90x or something.

Suggestions? Should I just wonder around the machines & deal with the stares and people asking if I need help? I'd probably have a panic attack!

As some others have mentioned, carry a notebook and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. I followed the Men's version of the book and my wife used the Women's version, we both carried small clipboards to the gym with our workout sheets and pencils to update our progress. Strength gained and inches lost were the results!

Alternatively, since you mentioned P90X, I know there is a P90X iPhone app that lets you download all the workouts to the phone in a way that guides you via visual and audio cues, and they costs less than the DVDs would. I have not used the app, but I do use P90X and I love it.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know the weight machines are there for marketing and are *mostly* useless, but people STARE at you like you're a crazy person if you use the free weights :(

Lol well I can assure you they are the crazy ones.
    I only use the Hammer Strength Shoulder Press, Pec Deck, & Preacher Curl Machine (once and awhile Hammer strength bench press)

The ones for legs are usually always good.

good luck!
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    I have posted my entire weekly workout routine on my blog. Go copy it.
    I also use GymTechnik on my BB to track my workouts and my progress. I began in January with the App and my routine (spent a few weeks tweeking what I need and am able to do) and now I am able to say I have had a 100% increase in my strength overall!!

Don't push yourself to push heavy...... focus on PROPER FORM in every Rep. I can't stress that enough.... When I began doing a Full Squat I only used the bar itself (which weighs 45lbs) and yes I felt like a total Newb but, I started! and now...just a few weeks later.... my Squat is at 105lbs with a planned increase this Monday to 110lbs :)
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I will be the Devil's advocate here and recommend that if you do not have a spotter and are just starting, machines are not so bad.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You just gotta walk in like you own the place (: lol. After a few times of doing it you get used to it and it just becomes easier, natural, and more comfortable. Maybe try going when they are not so busy.. it's less intimtating
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You just gotta walk in like you own the place (: lol. After a few times of doing it you get used to it and it just becomes easier, natural, and more comfortable. Maybe try going when they are not so busy.. it's less intimtating
    Very good advice.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily like you own the place, but you've a right to be there.

Anyone who's serious only cares about their own workout.

Repeat your program until you feel comfortable and confident. Same as anything new.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    I will be the Devil's advocate here and recommend that if you do not have a spotter and are just starting, machines are not so bad.
    Why? Aside from the bench press what barbell exercise requires a spotter? Do your squats in a power rack and everything else you just return the rack or ground if you fail.

The only machines worth using are the cable machines (seated cable rows, woodchops, etc.).

Rather that start blinded, I would suggest started with the New Rules of Lifting for Women as a great start. Don't use any of the machines. Stick to basic barbell or dumbbell exercises that focus on compound movements. Stick to what will build balanced, functional strength. Avoid anything having to do with Body Building as it generally not suited for the average person (vanity over strength/function).

Some good websites to checkout:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/
    http://startingstrength.com/
    http://www.jpfitness.com/
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I quit going to the gym once I started doing P90X....buuuut.... I have ripped the DVD's to my iPod, and have the verbal queues where ever I go. Some pretty good programs out there to rip to apple format. Some free ones if you dont mind a watermark on the screen. You'll be busy bringing it, and wont be staring at the screen anyway.

And I wouldnt worry abouyt carrying around a notebook, I used to do it all the time. It was the only way I could remember what I was supposed to do, and what my prior set weights were.

Good luck!
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Why? Aside from the bench press what barbell exercise requires a spotter? Do your squats in a power rack and everything else you just return the rack or ground if you fail.

The only machines worth using are the cable machines (seated cable rows, woodchops, etc.).

Rather that start blinded, I would suggest started with the New Rules of Lifting for Women as a great start. Don't use any of the machines. Stick to basic barbell or dumbbell exercises that focus on compound movements. Stick to what will build balanced, functional strength. Avoid anything having to do with Body Building as it generally not suited for the average person (vanity over strength/function).

Some good websites to checkout:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/
    http://startingstrength.com/
    http://www.jpfitness.com/

I said machines as the OP is just starting.

Machines in general are safer than freeweights as there is no doubts about form and less chance of imjury.

How many people perform Squats the right way? Some look like good mornings rather than squats or they lock out or go deep.

Biceps curls that use a swing.

Bench presses that are more like a decline.

If the OP starts with some machines, she will develop strength and get a sense of the right form.

Just my opinion based on 25 years of training.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try looking stuff up and writing down, will still feel silly with the paper but have to start somewhere I guess :-/

Unfortunately I don't really have any friends lol

does your gym have a training staff? most do, and their sole purpose is to assist with these types of things.

I have been going to the gym for years, and to this day am asking them questions and advice on different exercises among other things
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I know the weight machines are there for marketing and are *mostly* useless, but people STARE at you like you're a crazy person if you use the free weights :(

I can assure you that machines are not "mostly" usless. They are extremely effectve!
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The app Bodybuilding is really good, I was feeling the same way at the the gym. One suggestion i hired a trainer took some lesson's that helped me out alot. Now i give her my exercise book and she re does it for me every 2 weeks, for a small amount of money.
    Lori
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try looking stuff up and writing down, will still feel silly with the paper but have to start somewhere I guess :-/

I wouldn't feel self-conscious.....I see people (men and women) using a notebook at the gym all the time.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When i was at the gym i took a clip board with the workout on them and wrote out exactly what the work out was with a stick figure if needed - it may have looked silly but i also was able to mark down how many sets/reps and the weight amount used each time i worked out.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have been reading NROLFW but I'm over half way through and there still hasn't been any workout suggestions, lol. I know that they MUST be in here! Will read on :)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I wouldn't feel self-conscious.....I see people (men and women) using a notebook at the gym all the time.

I see many body builders and athletic types carry a log/journal with them
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't look silly in the weight room with a notebook/phone app- you'd look silly if you DIDN't!! You have to keep track of your progress.

The strength lite app is free and has direct links to some you tube instruction.

And yes, the NRL4W prog is fab. Keep reading, then join the group on here for links to workout plans (they can be hard to decipher) & support etc.