(RANT) MEAT Vs VEGGIES

Options

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight either way. I was vegetarian for 10 years (including one year vegan), and then pescetarian for 7 years. I started eating meat for the first time in 17 years in January. From October to December I lost 15lbs (5lbs a month) eating veggie but HEALTHY and exercising. From January to today I have lost 10lbs (5lbs a month) eating meat.

It is really strange, but I am now happy that I have started eating meat again because it is different. But don't do it because you think you need to in order to lose weight, especially if you have moral objections to it. You can eat healthy and unhealthy regardless of whether or not you eat meat.

When I didn't eat meat, I found cutting out dairy was KEY to me losing weight, because I was consuming so many calories from things like cheese and cream sauces.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat-eater myself, but it seems to me like you're going to add a lot of stress to your life if you start eating meat again; you'll go through some mental anguish trying to balance your moral objections with your desire to lose weight. So, while my instinctual response might be "Eat a burger, hippie!" (kidding, kidding!) I think in your case it's probably best if you don't go back to meat because additional stress is not conducive to weight loss. Have you considered talking to a nutritionist or a dietitian? They might be able to help you out.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a veg, and my husband is a not-veg, and I can tell you that preparing healthy food is not any easier for either. Just like vegetarian food, meat needs to be prepped and cooked, too. (It has extra handling and cleaning requirements because of the bacterial risks...)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that people who care about what they put in their bodies have an issue with my desire not to put certain things in it.

I'll stay the course and try to stay on the pesco path.
    Yes, people are meat. Dogs and horses are meat to.

Yes dogs and horses are made out of meat.

They are also considered tasty in various countries. :bigsmile:

Follow your own standards.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In looking at your diary for the last couple days, you seem to eat a lot of fried foods. Maybe that's got something to do with it? Just because you are allowing yourself fish and shellfish doesnt mean its got to be deep fried or slathered in butter. Just an observation...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat the other day, so that was that plus leftovers.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the question you asked, but there are some fish that pregnant women should avoid and some that are okay.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

psst..it is a guy..

I think this one wins.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The problem is your diet is disgusting. Or, as you say "borderline disgusting." You know the Disgusting Diet (tm) has a terrible weight loss success rate. You can have a disgusting diet eating paleo, low carb, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, kitten or twinkie. People can get fat eating almost anything, just as people can get healthier/lose weight eating almost anything. Just eat better foods than you are eating now. Well, eat less foods than you are eating now to lose weight. Better foods may help you feel better.

I eat pescatarian, but mostly because my body feels better doing that. I'd probably go back to other meats if I really missed it. If you have a moral objection to eating meat, seems like that's the thing to address. Despite the overwhelming levels of genius the Internet opinion provides, only you can make that call. Also, only you can prevent forest fires.

I think you answered your own question already.

But yeah, eggs are good. I think someone mentioned eggs. I love eggs.

I know a guy who got really fat on the kitten diet once. It wasn't pretty.

No but seriously, you can have quite the fantastically healthy diet as a pescatarian. I'm a meat eater myself, but I have plenty of friends who are vegetarians, vegans, and pescatarians that are all perfectly healthy. Eggs are awesome, and some really good low sugar protein shakes help too. When you eat fish, eat in grilled, broiled, or baked...not fried.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    if meat feels icky, stay away from it. i make a big pot of lentils early in the week or over the weekend, and keep it covered in the fridge. i grap a half cup of it and scoop it over egg whites for breakfast, over a salad for lunch, or over steamed veggies for dinner. i sprinkle curry over it for some flavor, or spicy red pepper, or cinnamon for sweetness. so that's one option.

peanut or almond butter over a whole grain cracker or bread can be really satisfying. also greek yogurt. i also really like tempeh plain, or with some veggies and balsamic vinegar.
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think you should look at your current diet before considering adding meat (if you are really morally opposed to it) And learn how to cook a few more things. Preparing and cooking with more whole unprocessed food can be just as quick as nuking a pot pie. That would cut your sodium in half, and in your theory cut your sugar cravings.

I too live a pretty busy lifestyle but during the week I can manage making a 5 minute breakfast (eat it on the way to work), prepare my lunch the night before (maybe ten minutes) and cook every night (20 minutes tops)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the question you asked, but there are some fish that pregnant women should avoid and some that are okay.

psst..it is a guy..

It must have been the other fish thread this morning where the original poster said she takes pre-natal vitamins. My mistake!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

psst..it is a guy..

It must have been the other fish thread this morning where the original poster said she takes pre-natal vitamins. My mistake!

while out of place I, a woman, found the info very helpful :)
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My question is.
    Would it be easier and better to start eating meat, even though I don't really like the idea because I have moral objections.
    Or keep on the peso-diet, and try to work harder and figuring something out?

Never posted on here, but I can relate to this one. I was a veggie for years, so thought I would.

I moved to a city in the 90s, the meat was generally poor quality and in the UK at the time there were genuine health issues, esp with farming practices at the time giving unsafe meat. So some friends I lived with went veggi.. so did I, but while they lasted months I stuck at it - to me it just seemed like eat what you did before without the meat - dead easy.. Eventually a bacon butty got me and I never looked back, but that's a common tale.

As a veggi I got VERY fat. 300lb!! simply I believe because you have two choices. You eat lettuce and steamed veg and end up an anemic anorexic or you eat pastries and dairy and fried food and carbs and carbs and get fat.

I could not do what I am doing now if it wasn't for protein from chicken. I'm stressing because I haven't got enough protein in the last couple of days ... As a veggi I probably ate a tenth the protein Im on now! and 10 times the carbs

I was saying the other day I must be eating getting on for 1000 chickens a year - I feel slightly bad about it but that's what we do ... eat meat, pollute with our cars, and consumerist society. What ya supposed to do - not work have no money and die because its bad driving to work and using your ipad, not breath or drink water and die cos the environment is wasted?

You just have to get on with it
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well as a full blown carnivore I'd say go back on the meat. But then I don't understand the objection people have to eating meat since we are omnivores after all.

If god didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?

For me, it's not an objections to "eating meat" it's the meat industry. God did not make animals to live in over crowded barns, never see sunlight, and eat corn. If they were hunted I have no problem with animals being eaten

Exactly, not to mention how much fresh water the meat industry wastes, when we could look for nutrients elsewhere, without wasting so much water- let alone all the pollution and the horrendous conditions of animals.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well as a full blown carnivore I'd say go back on the meat. But then I don't understand the objection people have to eating meat since we are omnivores after all.

I would just like to point out that people are made out of meat too.

And I'm pretty sure the only reason we didnt evolve eating each other is because the diseases transfer, where as In other animals the diseases they have don't affect humans.

The Bly reason we don't eat dogs, cats, horses etc in the western world is because they are pets to us.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    Most of the vegetarians I have know have been fat. But I think it is more of result of just poor planning. Look, back gladiator times they often ate vegetarian, or at least very heavy grain diets to fatten themselves up for the games. The reason is if you have a nice layer of subcutaneous fat around your body you cut get cuts that would bleed, look impressive to the audience but could easily heal because the muscle and internal organs were not injured.

So when I see vegetarians packing on the pounds it's because they are gravitating towards heavy carbo, grain based diets (lots of pasta, cheese, bread, etc.) with very little vegetable content.

Honestly, there is no reason to compromise your moral beliefs, you just need to plan your meals better. Cut out most, if not all of the grain based nonsense. Up your vegetable content a long with your protein (eggs, soy based, whey protein, beans quinoa, etc.) and healthy fats (nuts, etc.). It's going to take some planning.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Protein fills you up, so yes. It isn't necessarily meat tho, there are many ways to get more protein. You're probably eating too many carbs which spikes your blood sugar and makes you even hungrier later. The more carbs you eat, the more you want of them. While fruits and veggies are GREAT, you need good lean protein sources in your diet to keep you full and satisfied.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options

There is no god. :laugh: Your argument is invalid.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    There is no need to compromise your morals - as you pointed out, it's not the vegetarianism that's the problem, it's the choices you're making regarding your food. As others have pointed out, try to practice better planning - take a day on the weekend (or whenever your schedule allows) to cut and prep veggies, make big batches of meals for the week, etc. Planning is absolutely key, and can really help you to stay on track.

It might also help to take a look around the internet and find some easy, tasty meatless recipes to keep you interested!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHA I know a vegetarian who would get a great chuckle out of that - thanks so much.

To the OP - from what you wrote, it seems that time management is at least 50% of your problem, and stress is a contributing factor. Have you ever read Stephen R. Covey? His "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" is extremely helpful in helping you define your "big rocks" and manage your time so that you don't have all this stress. I got my copy on the Kindle for .99 when Amazon had a sale, and while it's not going to be a quick fix - can you name any quick fixes that resulted in lasting results?

Best of luck to you - keep trying, keep posting, and you'll find what works best for you.

***Edited to add: Just looked through all of your diary. The days you completed your diary seem to be over either in sugar or sodium, and you have a lot of fried foods in there. I'm no expert, but I might start experimenting with different choices to get sugar and sodium lower (which is my own current mini-goal) and cut back on fried foods, which tend to be salted more. ***