Just quit smoking 2 packs of cigs 32 days ago! Weight comin

Options
I am 53 years old. Have smoked for most of my adult life. Now on day 32 of no cigs! Using the patch--works great. Joined a fitness club. Zumba is killing me!

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! That is quite an accomplishment! Big congrats to you!!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    When I quit, exercise yo get over the cravings was great! Force yourself to go for a walk or something for 5-15 minutes until the craving passes. The worst thing you can do is sit idle. If you can eat to satisfy a craving you can exercise! It worked for me!
  • doughnuteater
    Options
    Well done. You deserve to be very proud of yourself. Keep hanging on in there!
  • rickydoodle
    Options
    Best of luck =)
  • gertrudex
    Options
    I am doing cardio exercise 5 times a week! I really haven't had urges with the patch at all! Just have a big appetite and was used to eating what I wanted. Oral fixation, too.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    That's amazing. Congratulations!!! Way to go!!! Way to take charge of your health.
    Nicotine is one of the hardest things to put down. Even though you don't know me....I am Proud of YOU!!!!!

Now for the weight gain....you might gain a little, but if you have the self control to put down the smokes you can use the same self control to watch your calories. If you can say no to those yummy cigs then a candy bar is no problem. Can you tell i'm trying to quit smoking too. I'm on day two of no smoking.

You probably will gain a little just from a slight decrease in metabolism- nicotine can speed up your metabolism. Also don't give up if the weight loss stops for a while. Quitting smoking is stressful and some times our bodies will hold on to weight during periods of stress. I think you are doing everything you can by increasing your exercise....and wouldn't you rather Zumba kill you than the smokes?
  • gertrudex
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am well on my way. Have been attending a smoking cessation class as well, put on by a hospital in town. I have a great ex-smoker for instructor. Use the 1-800-QUIT-NOW line too. Got my patches from them free of charge.

I am a carbaholic! Love carbs, breads especially. Also, on a tight budget, and bread is affordable. I am drinking tons of water, too, which fills me up some. 10 pounds in 32 days is a bit ridiculous, though. I am in a bigger size of clothes already! My age isn't in my corner either. I have found that I really enjoy the fitness club, though. It's 2 minutes away, and open 24/7. And yes, I would rather die from zumba than cigs.

Good for you on day 2! It gets much easier after the 1st week. You start to forget about all your triggers. Carrots have become a good of mine. Like the crunch.:smile:
  • jode1983
    Options
    Well done hun! I'm on day 37!!! x x x
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    YAHOO!!! I'm a nurse, and today I took care of a man who is less than 60, and will likely not live to see 60. All because of smoking.

He is so sick, and he has completely destroyed his lungs with cigarettes.

Please, please, please never start again!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am well on my way. Have been attending a smoking cessation class as well, put on by a hospital in town. I have a great ex-smoker for instructor. Use the 1-800-QUIT-NOW line too. Got my patches from them free of charge.

I am a carbaholic! Love carbs, breads especially. Also, on a tight budget, and bread is affordable. I am drinking tons of water, too, which fills me up some. 10 pounds in 32 days is a bit ridiculous, though. I am in a bigger size of clothes already! My age isn't in my corner either. I have found that I really enjoy the fitness club, though. It's 2 minutes away, and open 24/7. And yes, I would rather die from zumba than cigs.

Good for you on day 2! It gets much easier after the 1st week. You start to forget about all your triggers. Carrots have become a good of mine. Like the crunch.:smile:

Also wanted to add my former boss, her husband, and another co-worker did hypnosis and it really worked for them. The boss and her husband have not smoked in close to 2 years, and the other co-worker quite close to 10 years ago.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm a quitter too, it's been 19 days smoke free and love it and yes I have gained about 6 pounds but I'm determined to lose again and more just slow now and on my way. I'm also 53
  • gertrudex
    Options
    Doesn't it feel great!? It has even helped my self-esteem!
  • gertrudex
    Options
    Day 37! WOW-what an accomplishment, huh? I have started to feel quite a bit better already. Can actually take a deep breath!
  • OFFMYBUTT
    Options
    Great job on kicking the smoking habit.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You can be really proud of your accomplishment! Keep up the great work.
  • ItsJenn32
    Options
    WTG!! that is awesome!!
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    I am 53 years old. Have smoked for most of my adult life. Now on day 32 of no cigs! Using the patch--works great. Joined a fitness club. Zumba is killing me!

Good for you! I am on day 107 as a non-smoker (cold turkey 11-11-11) and have saved $587. so far. Keep it up, this is a great supportive group and the distraction is a good way to go. Any additional motivation needed let me know. You are on your way to better things. Enjoy the ride.
  • Great job! I quit a 27 year 2 pack a day habit (cold turkey) on January 21, 2002 and have never looked back. It's a great start to a healthy life. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've been quit for a year (in two weeks) and Zumba kicks my butt 6 days a week! I swear, quitting is the most freeing experience!
  • gertrudex
    Options
    Thanks! Still have much to prove to myself, though. Quit in my early 30's for 8 years, took one puff, and had been smoking ever since. Hope I have learned my lesson!