5'7" Ladies, What is A Good Goal Weight?

Options
Ladies, I am 5'7" and weight around 211. My heaviest was 223, and my first goal is to get to 160. I used to hover around 167 when I was in high school, but I haven't been lower than that for many years. I have talked with my husband about what a healthy goal weight is for me, and we always disagree.

We both agree that frame size should be a factor, and I would say I have a large frame, so based off of that and online weight calculators I want to be between 145-155. However, he thinks that is way too low for me, and I just don't think that is the case. I know he is worried about me becoming "skinny" as opposed to "fit" and believe me, I do not want to be unhealthy at a large size or a small size.

What do you ladies think? Those who are also trying to lose weight, and those that have reached your goal. What is reasonable?

Guys, you can answer as well, though of course your goals will most likely be different.

Replies

• simkoreb
    simkoreb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height. At my fittest in college I weighed 155. I consider myself to have a large frame too, and I am working towards getting into the 160s again. I would be pumped to reach 165, and if I get into the 150s I would be beyond estatic! I think 165 is the goal I'm reaching towards...
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height. At my fittest in college I weighed 155. I consider myself to have a large frame too, and I am working towards getting into the 160s again. I would be pumped to reach 165, and if I get into the 150s I would be beyond estatic! I think 165 is the goal I'm reaching towards...

Sounds great. I am also shooting for the 160's. I can't even remember what it felt like to be that size. I really think I want to get down to 150. That's without toning and a lot of muscle gain. Just a pure weight loss goal. Add me as a friend if you'd like to. We can be fitness twins. LOL
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" so I don't know if my reply counts. :)

I was 120 in high school and I was 140 after I had my first kid and lost all the baby weight. I was 200 and my highest and my goal now is probably around 140-150. I looked pretty good after I recovered from my first kid, I feel I was proportionate. After kids my hips got wider, so I think I will always have a slightly curvier frame, and I'm ok with that.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I started at 159 and am now at 148. I think my goal weight is 140 but I don't know what it'll be like when I get there because I haven been that weight in a long time. It is true that frame size matters quite a bit though, and also what makes YOU feel healthy and happy. Even if I could get to 135 I doubt I could maintain it.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 7, currently I am 200lbs. I used to be around 160lbs before university, and I wanted to be slimmer then too.

I think I would be happy at 140lbs but my ultimate goal weight would be 126lbs. It's 9 stone in English measurements, and I just think it sounds right.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, I carry most of my weight in my mid section (mostly due to having 2 kids).. I am 5'7 my first goal weight is 150...I'm at 158 right now, but I am prob. going to try to get down to 140...

At first I thought 150 was ideal for me, but as I'm getting closer, I feel like I need to lose a little more to get to where I want to be, and how I want to look.

Just start with a first goal for now, and when you get there..you can always decide if you feel like you should lose more or maintain! =)

Good luck.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". I go more by size than weight. I have gone down to a 10 but want to be an 8. Fitness counts too. When I'm fit I am a smaller size even at the same weight.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    PS I think it's good to set goals but be flexible. It's OK for goals to change.
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really depends on the person. I am 5'7 and my lowest weight was 160 at my wedding. I was a size 12 and definitely had weight to lose. Ideally I think I'd like to be in the lower 150 range. We'll have to see!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", and my goal is 155, and I do have a large frame. However, as I get closer it might change - probably up as I care far more about being fit and strong than any specific number on the scale.
  • Leafeh
    Leafeh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think that 130 is my ultimate goal weight, but that should be of lean muscle. I am currently 160 and still feeling awfully overweight, or I'm just surrounded by skinny people.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm 5'7 and am currently 157.8. I would say I have a medium frame. I would be happy with 135.
  • nicalla60
    Options
    I am 5'7". I was 150 at HS graduation. At that time I aggressively worked out 2+ hours a day, so I was very muscular. At 36 I will not be achieving that muscle mass. As the saying goes, muscle weighs more than fat, my goal is 145.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'9" and I'm currently 153...So I'm sure that you'll look fine between 145-155 but I wouldn't be afraid to go a bit lower either...you'll find out what works for you! For now you can just shoot for a range, and once you're closer you'll figure out where you want to be :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    i started at 230.. currently at 169lbs.. goal is 150lbs anything lower then that seems insane right now.. but we will see once i hit the 50s :bigsmile:
  • ErinsAvon
    ErinsAvon Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my goal is 160.... I want to be a comfortable 8/10/12... LOL. I am pretty muscular... and have lost 30 so far. I started at 223... I am on my way!
  • Beagleflower
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm also 5'7" and I currently weigh in at 186. I have felt the best when I weigh between 145 and 155, however I generally fluctuate around 5 lbs at all times so my goal weight is 148 - 153. My main goal is to be healthy and fit into clothes I currently have in my closet. I am 51 and find it a little harder to loose the weight once it creeps up. Of course I'm less active since I've gotten a bit older, but that's no excuse :) I am going to try walking each day and then hiking and biking in the summer months since I really like being outside. I think your ideal weight is where you feel the best!

Keep up the great work,
  • cardinal56
    cardinal56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'7" and am aiming for 150. That's the weight I feel best at. Good luck!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I AM 5'7. MY HIGHEST WAS 150LBS. LOWEST 115LBS. I GOT DOWN TO 125 USING MFP BUT THEN DECIDED TO BULK. I WENT BACK UP TO 149. I AM NOW CUTTING. I WOULD LIKE TO BE AROUND 120 BUT IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW I LOOK AND FEEL AND SINCE I AM BUILDING MUSCLE I MAY END UP WEIGHING MORE WHEN I GET TO THE SIZE I WANT TO BE. GOOD LUCK
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm about 5'6", and I'll tell you, a good weight for my frame (I'm athletically built, with narrow hips and broader shoulders, and I carry a lot of muscle), is about 145. That is me being fit and slender. I think a good weight to aim for is probably about 150ish, and then see how you feel from there. Really, you'll know what's unreasonable for you once you get closer to that, especially if you pay attention to how you look, and your overall shape and fitness level.