I need a woman's help about my wife's birthday.

Options
2»

Replies

• xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    If I was into the elliptical and didnt like the gym, i would love it if my husband bought me one for my birthday.
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    My husband bought me a Bowflex Treadclimber (used) to use here at home because having little ones can make it difficult to get to the gym, and I love it. That being said, however, it was not tied to my birthday or other occasion. Maybe you could buy her something like a gift certificate for a massage or manicure as her birthday gift, but buy the elliptical for the both of you?

I agree with this. If you have any doubt that it'll be offensive then don't risk it. Give her something small to TREAT herself (manicure, spa, present) but get the elliptical for both of you so you can spend more time together working out at home.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'd put that idea on hold until you know for sure, lol. A spa gift certificate is always a great idea (manicure, pedi, facial). Ler her get spoiled and pampered on her birthday. Maybe get the elliptical as a "just because' gift. Surprise her with it in a couple of months. I love it when hubby gets me something out of the blue...usually it's just a Tim Hortons coffee, though! :bigsmile:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think it is an awesome gift! My husband knows i love getting things like that. Especially because i would not buy one for myself because of the cost.

But i think you would know better than us if she would take it wrong.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My husband says you should buy it, but get something else (something FUN) and call that her present. The elliptical... because you thought she'd like it since she prefers to work out at home.

Myself? I'd LOVE it if my husband bought me an elliptical for my birthday (as he's reading this over my shoulder, lol... hint hint hint). But, I don't want to work out in the basement, and we really don't have anywhere to put it :/.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a treadmill for my birthday and I was delighted. But then I was already trying to loss weight and was complaining about not always being able to get out for a walk with the kids.

Ask your wife would she like one, let her pick it, then get her a small surprise gift like bunch of flowers. .....or go the surprise way, if she doesn't like it you can send it on to me :flowerforyou: hehe
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm a ridiculously practical woman, so I'd prefer if my husband asked me before making a purchase like that.

Plus, even as a ridiculously practical woman... I think birthday gifts should be fun... like a compound miter saw. :love:

LMAO!!!! I got a compound miter saw one year as an anniversary gift!!! Absloute truth!!!

If it's really touchy subject, I'd take her out to dinner, or shopping, or where ever, and just 'happen' to stop by the store where you'd be buying the machine. Let her look, see what she says. You could always say it's only part of her gift, but you wanted her to get what she wanted. Then get her something else, like a massage, or something. Hope it goes well for you!
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why not ask her? Then she could help pick it out :)

I would be super happy if my husband bought me an elliptical, and no, I wouldn't think he was hinting that I was fat.

^^ This
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If husband buys me "practical" :grumble: he better have a "romantic" :love: to follow. A nice piece of jewellery perhaps?

Birthdays are special, buy the practical together at other times. But every woman is different so I am probably not helping much sorry.:flowerforyou:
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    IDK I wanted a treadmill for months and my husband got me one as a present and it's exactly what I wanted. If she is the type of person that wouldn't take it offensively, I say get it for her!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OMG, I would be ecstatic if I got an elliptical for my birthday! To me it would show that you care about what is important to me and my health. :love:
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my husband bought me a miniature trampoline to work out on for Christmas. I was offended than upset because after using it three times the darn thing broke (bent) because he had no idea I was way over the weight limit for it. At the time I was not "into" losing weight. Now, if he bought me something for weight loss I would love him for it. I have a few wants. But that is because I am ready now. Is your wife ready now? :wink: