Protein Shakes???? People's thoughts greatly appreciated...

Options
So I have been trying to get into the swing of things by going to the gym every day and I just recently started making Whey Protein shakes after the gym. I used Pure Almond milk and add in a banana to the mix and the shake is great. What are some people's thoughts on protein shakes? I know that the Almond milk can be high in fat but it's the good type of fat that suppresses your hunger for a few hours. Are these shakes useful in trying to loose weight or is there a reverse effect?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I have been trying to get into the swing of things by going to the gym every day and I just recently started making Whey Protein shakes after the gym. I used Pure Almond milk and add in a banana to the mix and the shake is great. What are some people's thoughts on protein shakes? I know that the Almond milk can be high in fat but it's the good type of fat that suppresses your hunger for a few hours. Are these shakes useful in trying to loose weight or is there a reverse effect?

Shakes are useful to supplement your diet with protein if you cannot get adequate amounts in through whole foods. There is nothing magical about them that will cause you to lose weight, although protein is generally considered the most satiating of all macros, so could keep you fuller. Also protein has the highest TEF of any of the macros, which will aid in weight loss
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink a "smoothie" every morning because I don't have a lot of time for breakfast.

1 cup almond milk
    1 serving frozen organic fruit
    2 scoops protein powder
    some type of green. Spinach, etc.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have one after a heavy workout, usually because supper is still at least an hour away and I am SO hungry after a workout that junk food would be mighty tempting!! (And also because I have a really hard time getting my protein up to where it should be on those days.)
  • amgriffin69
    Options
    you dont need to drink whey protein shakes! your regular diet if eating properly should give you all the protein you need!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have a protein shake anytime i need a quick meal and dont have time for anything else.

also i normally do my first workout of the day on an empty stomach but sometimes i wake up very hungry. on those days i'll make a smoothie and will have half before working out and the other half afterwards.

my usual smoothie is :
    rice milk
    whey protein (or sometimes spirutein)
    blueberries
    rasberries
    spinach and/or cucumber
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes- I usually make something like this:

1 scoop whey protein powder
    1/2 cup pure pumpkin
    1 cup mixed berriez- frozen.
    ice and water to taste
    cinnamon- to taste
  • micnatmom
    micnatmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have tried VIsalus shakes and they are great. So many success stories related to them. :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I thought they were a great idea as a standby until I saw the price, which totally put me off.

Really, if I want extra protein, I'd rather eat roast chicken anyway. :)
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    I made my first protein shake today! It was awesome and definitely what I will be drinking after my workouts.

1 cup Pure Almond Milk in Original
    1 cup of ice
    1/2 tbsp of pure, Dark & Robust Honey
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein (I use GNC AMP 100%)

Blend it up, makes 2 servings. 110 calories and 11g of protein each.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    They are just fine as long as you are keeping to your calories. I drink them every day, I like how bio-available the protein is and how easy they are.

Where they're a problem for some is if they take the place of a drink not food and you end up going over calories because of it. If not, and if you like them, they are great.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Shakes are useful to supplement your diet with protein if you cannot get adequate amounts in through whole foods. There is nothing magical about them that will cause you to lose weight, although protein is generally considered the most satiating of all macros, so could keep you fuller. Also protein has the highest TEF of any of the macros, which will aid in weight loss
    ^^^^^
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Asking the opinion of others can be dangerous, when advice is given without knowledge. Proteins (shakes) are best after a workout because the protein helps restore and repair muscles.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I love a protein shake because it's cheap, quick to make, and helps me reach my protein goals.

Even with eating plenty of meat, yogurt, eggs, etc. i still don't reach my protein goals without a protein shake.

It also helps with my sweet tooth and keeps me full throughout the afternoon.

Mine is simply protein powder and almond milk.
  • bobbieflorey
    Options
    I have been using Shakeology and it has worked great for me. I feel great, and have way more energy. It has helped me with relosing the weight that I had gained having my son- am 10 lbs down so far!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Asking the opinion of others can be dangerous, when advice is given without knowledge. Proteins (shakes) are best after a workout because the protein helps restore and repair muscles.
    This is false and was started by supplement companies to sell protein powder. All that matters is your total net energy balance. Protein synthesis will be elevated for at least 24 hours after training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Irony lol.