5'7" Ladies, What is A Good Goal Weight?

Options

Replies

• daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    120lb.....
  • Beccaliebchen
    Beccaliebchen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Girl, it is totally up to you. I was 220 at my heaviest and I'm at 145 right now. My goal weight is 140 and I tell ya, the closer I get to my "goal number" the more I look at myself and say, "Y'know, I don't think this is just right yet." So here's my advice- set a healthy goal weight, get down to it and stop, re-evaluate the situation (how you feel, how you look) and then make a decision from there. If you feel you're comfortable where you are, congrats! All you have to do now is maintain. If you feel like you need to lose a few more, don't sweat it - just look at it as another adventure :-)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My goal is 140, I started at 231. I am concentrating on building muscle mass & toning. When I hit 140 I will see if I want to go any further but I think I will be content there.
  • karisamh
    karisamh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my heaviest ever at 172....I was 120-125 till I quit smoking then started eating! I then went up to 145, and then went up again. You can look it up and a healthy weight for our height is about 140-145, however it depends on how you feel. My lightest was 118 but I was training for a competition and I felt great!! That being said.....don't let the numbers rule you.....you need to healthy and fit andnnnnnn if you wanna set a goal of 130 then go for it!... Also it will not be easy or fast....it took a while to get to where you are, it may take longer to get it off. Be patient.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', have a large frame, and weighed in at 121 today. I definitely don't look skeletal, and actually am trying to tone up and get rid of love handles (but not really lose any more weight). It really depends on the person, but I have a large frame for sure and 120 is probably about right for me. On the other hand, I've been at 140 pounds and looked just about the same as I do now. So you'd probably look fine between 140 and 150, which is about where your goal is at. It also seems like a reasonable goal for someone over 40 or so.
  • cjones0992
    cjones0992 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and currently 159. My goal is 143. I was around that weight when I played volleyball in high school, and I'd like to be that size again. I think 145-155 would be a good goal range, and you can always adjust as you get smaller.
  • debbi519
    debbi519 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if being tall automatically qualifies us as having large frames. I am 5'7" and weighed 130 in high school. I still thought I was large. I am now 52 years old and weigh 210 lbs (and I will not blame the 3 children I had in my 20's for the gain). My goal weight is 160. More importantly, my goal is to work out at least 5 times a week. I think it has more to do with your age and lifestyle than simply going for a number.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" with an average frame. I picked 140 lbs as it was right in the middle of the healthy range for my height. At 140 lbs I got back into my wedding dress! I'm happy with 140 although I am now working to tone it up and maintain. Lots of exercise allows me to eat more and indulge sometimes too....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if being tall automatically qualifies us as having large frames. I am 5'7" and weighed 130 in high school. I still thought I was large. I am now 52 years old and weigh 210 lbs (and I will not blame the 3 children I had in my 20's for the gain). My goal weight is 160. More importantly, my goal is to work out at least 5 times a week. I think it has more to do with your age and lifestyle than simply going for a number.

A large frame is more about shoulder width, size of ribcage, and things like the size of your bones. Someone can be 5'7'' with a small frame or 5'7'' with a large frame. =)
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my current weight is 131. I want to lose body fat now more than weight. 2 years ago i was 124 and happy with that. But it just depends on the person! I'd happily weigh more if it was just muscle!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Mine goal is 110. I am currently 121 though, and feel like I'm pretty close to my goal. I guess it depends on your body type.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I am 5'7" and weight around 211. My heaviest was 223, and my first goal is to get to 160. I used to hover around 167 when I was in high school, but I haven't been lower than that for many years. I have talked with my husband about what a healthy goal weight is for me, and we always disagree.

We both agree that frame size should be a factor, and I would say I have a large frame, so based off of that and online weight calculators I want to be between 145-155. However, he thinks that is way too low for me, and I just don't think that is the case. I know he is worried about me becoming "skinny" as opposed to "fit" and believe me, I do not want to be unhealthy at a large size or a small size.

What do you ladies think? Those who are also trying to lose weight, and those that have reached your goal. What is reasonable?

Guys, you can answer as well, though of course your goals will most likely be different.

Is that a current picture?? Because if it is you carry your weight very well!! I think 145 is a great goal for your height and frame but what you can do is set multiple goals like 160 is your first then 155 2nd 150, 145 etc and maybe you find your happy at 160, or whatever definitely go by how you feel :)
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7" & around 190lb at the moment. I'm aiming for 145 or so. The other day I read that for my height + a medium frame would be about 133 and for a large frame about 145. I guess I'll see when I get there! :-)
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" and my goal is 165. I've been told by a couple of professionals that I shouldn't weigh less than 175 because of my frame size, but I really think that is too much. I have a really large frame. Fat girls always think they have a large frame until they lose weight and then find out they are average... if I could drop enough weight to find out this was true of me, it would be wonderful! So at this point, anything less than 270 would feel like a miracle, so it is hard to think in terms of ultimate goals.

The things I've seen online put the upper end of the weight range for someone with a large frame and our height at 163. I can't remember the lower number. That is based on deciding frame size by the width of your elbow joint. If I remember correctly, my elbow joint is 73mm wide and my wrist is about 6.5" or a bit more. That is what I used to get the weight range that ended at 163. However, 163 is as high as it went, so if I had put in that I had an 8" wrist, it wouldn't have gone any higher. :)

Shannon
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5 and my first goal is 150 I started my journey 6 months ago at 268lbs and am currently 188.2 my body has changed since having 3 kids its funny because as a freshman in college I was 175 and in a size 12 and I am currently 188.2 and in a 12 so we will see what 150 looks like this weight puts me at a healthy BMI and I also want to be very toned so I may get down lower than 150 and bulk up a little...for my girly figure....I have hips a butt n breast that I don't want to lose too much of..haha!!! I'm thinking as far as pants size at lowest a 7/8 people think I will look crazy at 150 but I'm built diff so;)

My profile pic was taken when I was in the mid 190s so;)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I think you should throw away the evil scale and use measuring tape. Adopt a permanent healthy lifestyle of good-for-you-balanced foods, regular cardio and strength training and see where your new homeostasis takes you!

Sorry to be so generic - but it's true. Neither you nor your husband should get stuck on any number (or anyone for that matter). Just adopt a healthy lifestyle and reap the benefits and before long, you'll be the best you that you can be and the scale will still just show a meaningless number.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Depends on your build (frame-size) and body type (muscular etc).
  • Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your frame and build, but I'm 5'7 and my goal weight is 135. I'm currently 142. My lowest weight ever was 128, but I really didn't like myself at that weight - I looked really skeletic!

Best of luck in your journey. :)
  • IndyTexas
    IndyTexas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i would love 165
  • kbitikofer
    kbitikofer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my current weight is 158.6lbs. I'd say that my goal weight is probably somewhere around 140lbs. We'll have to see though. I'd probably even be happy with 145lb.

A few years ago I lost about 30lbs on weight watchers, landed at about 150lbs and was able to maintain until marrying my husband this past October (and gaining about 8lbs the week of our destination wedding alone...thank you delicious food and booze). And I'd put on an additional 5lbs or so after that. I really just want to get this extra comfort weight off. My husband is also trying to get rid of some of the belly he's put on as well.