All This Work for This?

Options

Replies

• woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I personally think 5lbs in a month is awesome! It took me 3 months to lose 8, and I'm ecstatic. :bigsmile:
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Another vote for measuring!! I've been down and up and down and up... since Jan 14 I've got a net loss of only 3.6 lb, but I'm down a total of seven inches. :happy:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It took me a month and a half of working out before my weight even started to show up on my scale. I'd say you're doing well enough. But you need to realize it's going to be a life-long change, not an instant fix. You'll gain it all right back if you don't make changes you can live with the rest of your days.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. 5 pounds in the first month is great! I only lost 0.8 pounds my first month but it was because I was re-building some lost muscle while doing daily walks. Exercise gives me the best results at weight loss with my PCOS, though I do take care with my diet as well.

The good news is, after losing 0.8 pounds the first month, all of a sudden the weight started falling off and I lost like 15 pounds the next month. I'm currently nearly the end of my 3rd month with almost 35 pounds off!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It makes me nervous, because I know every choice I've made wasn't one I'd be proud of, but my diary is now public. I appreciate the feedback so far. I'm going to keep reading and trying to take in what everyone says.

Don't be nervous, you're being accountable to yourself first and foremost, what everyone else thinks is secondary - though hopefully very helpful!

My advice is to keep at it.... I think there comes a time in any activity where the initial novelty wears off and you realise that you are in this for the long term. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of weight to lose at this stage, but I'm betting that the changes you have made to your diet and lifestyle are major and that is what is going to get you to a healthy weight.
    Every time you eat a healthier snack instead of an unhealthy one or go for a 15 minute walk instead of sitting on the couch - you've taken a positive step towards getting healthier.
    It's not the big things that count in the long term, it's those tiny little choices that you make each day. We get really fixated on the scale but it is a fickle tool and doesn't always reflect the positive changes that are happening. Looking at your weight loss progression, I'd take a guess that the gain was hormonal - if you track this over a few months you will probably see a pattern developing.

Hang in there, good luck!
    Hang in there, keep making small choices in the present minute and you WILL see results in the long term.
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    From taking a look 2 weeks back into your food diary my best advice would be to cut out, or change your snacks to something healthy. On some days the most calories consumed are coming from snack foods. Try some fresh fruit and veggies. Sodium can be a real damper on weight loss and many pre-packed foods contain tons of it. Also do you use a heart rate monitor to determine your exercise calories? The estimates on mfp can be quite a bit higher then the actual calories burnt are, so eating all of those back may be putting you above your calorie goals if you are just estimating. 5 pounds in a month is still good so just keep at it. Look at it this way, you are 5 pounds lighter then you were last month and you will continue losing! :)
  • BreK51
    BreK51 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat and exercise, and I am under my caloric allowance, it backfires. What happens is your metabolism slows down. It is best to eat what it gives you, and make sure you are drinking at least 8(8oz) of water. Try that and see if it makes a difference. but be sure to eat your calories. If you are exercising to get way under the allowance it could be causing the problem , try to stay as close to your calories as you can.. Hang in there! :) Also, it is best to lose around a pound or two a week. you are learning how to eat healthier, and it may take longer but once you hit your goal it will stay off longer because you have learned how to eat and what it takes to keep it off. Patience my dear, it will come :)
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    I think 5 pounds is fantastic. Maybe you need to eat all of your calories to keep your metabolism running good.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "I have been under my caloric goal all but 3 days "

that tells me you are not eating enough....you need to eat ALL of your daily calories and then eat back some of your exercise calories

i sabotaged myself a while back staying just under 1500 WITH exercise....it was pointed out to me that i need to eat ALL of that 1500 PLUS eat back some of the calories i burned off...and poof i started loosing weight again!
  • mell312
    mell312 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are set to be losing 1.5 a week, then that's 6 lbs a month. You are pretty close to right on! Unfortunately the only healthy way to lose weigh and keep it off is slow and steady. Hang in there and you will meet your goals.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Your doing a wonderful job!! Keep up the good work!
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I think that is a great start! Try not to focus on the weekly # so much. I have a tendency to lose 5 one week, then gain 3, lose 2, lose nothing, etc. On average, I have lost 1.7 a month... it works out to be totally worth it!!!

Just one more thing I would caution... Make sure you are eating enough. Close to your daily calories, and not way under. (And eat what you burn... most if not all).

You will do fine! Good luck!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    5 pounds sounds pretty darn good to me. When I get discouraged I start measuring and weighing my intake. I can really surprise myself on portion control. Weighing and measuring portions helped me.

Record your intake and perhaps increase your exercise. I increase my walking when I am discouraged.

Wish I could be more helpful. The emotional strain of all this hard work is difficult. Think about it instead of gaining you lost!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i try to limit the scale to once a month. I measure every week. Inches are much better than lbs. Keep at it!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've started running every other day, and on the morning after the 'running day' i am typically 2-3lbs heavier than on the morning before. I think it has to do with muscle recovery and water retention.
    But even before I started running, my weight would go up 2, then down 3, up one, down a bit - all throughout one week.

5lbs tells you you've made progress. Any way you turn it, that's 5 lbs closer to your goal. I agree with the other posters - inches will tell. I'm actually going to start a spreadsheet for my measurements right now...
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you have PCOS, you definitely need to lower your carbs. I briefly looked at your diary and you're getting over 250 carbs a lot of days. You should change your goals and shoot for around 100, less if possible. Focus on protein. Eliminate "white" carbs especially. Eliminate starches. Watch the sugar too. Switch to stevia for your sweetner and avoid all added sugar. Sugar from fruits and veggies are ok. Try this for a while and you'll probably have more success.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Be patient..........you will have some of those weeks where nothing happens and you have exercised yourself to death. Once
    I increased my calories up to 1300 I started losing again. Only .6 lbs a week, but something is definitely better than nothing.
    I also backed off my amt of time exercising daily, which helped with me not burning out on that end of things. Remember it
    really is the inches that you will see that counts and you will be thrilled to find a change in your clothes size. That in itself
    motivated me and it will you also. Good luck on your journey !!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Take the pound a week and continue. Clients that I have do it that way keep the weight off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Every five pounds, I visual the weight I've lost as a bag of sugar.
    domino-sugar.JPG

You're lugging around that much less this month than last month.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    Every five pounds, I visual the weight I've lost as a bag of sugar.
    domino-sugar.JPG

You're lugging around that much less this month than last month.

That is a powerful visual!!! :)