Cardio & weights in same day

Options
For those who incorporate strength training into their workouts, do you also do cardio on those days? If so, for how long?

I've also read that doing strength training before cardio is more beneficial. For me, I like to do cardio first ALWAYS to get it done and over with, so switching that up will be really hard for me!

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For those who incorporate strength training into their workouts, do you also do cardio on those days? If so, for how long?

I've also read that doing strength training before cardio is more beneficial. For me, I like to do cardio first ALWAYS to get it done and over with, so switching that up will be really hard for me!

When I have been to the gym on the odd occasion, I always do cardio first to warm up. I did try it the other way around once, but didn't like it.
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio and weights on the same day....I do weights first because cardio kicks my behind!! I usually only do 15-30 minutes of each but I exercies everyday!
  • ashtonalayna
    Options
    I always do cardio first. I'm not sure if Ripped in 30 counts as strength but I do that after I do Turbo Jam.
  • Bella3119
    Options
    I do weights and cardio almost everyday. On the days where I have time restrictions, I'll be on the elliptical for 30 min and doing my triceps and shoulders with free weights. (I have huge arms!!)

I also like to do the cardio first just to wake up. What are the benefits to doing the strength training first?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weights in the same day. I do 40-50 minutes of cardio and then 15-25 minutes of weights.
  • jenhelle
    jenhelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The reason you do weights first is because you cardio can hinder your strength training. You won't lift as heavy if you are tired from cardio.
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The reason you do weights first is because you cardio can hinder your strength training. You won't lift as heavy if you are tired from cardio.

Thats what I find!!! If I do cardio first I am lucky if I can do 5-10 minutes of weights
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    honestly...everyone has a different opinion on that subject.

either way is good..personally i do my lifting before my cardio..i lift for about 45min to an hour..then i hop on the treadmill for about 30 mins. the reason i do this..is i take a pre workout sup for muscle pumps and endurance..and its not so good to take and do cardio.

on the other hand...doing cardio before weights is ok too. i've done it and noticed no decrease in strength or endurance. we have lots of glucose and glycogen in our bodies that a little cardio workout wont exhaust it. so its really up to you what you want to do.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I always do cardio after lifting. I do about 35 minutes of circuit strength training followed by 16 minutes of HIIT on an elliptical. I lift 4 days a week, do pilates every single day, and do cardio 5-6 days a week.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do a 10 minute warmup on the bike, then lift for around 30 minutes, then finnish off with 30 to 40 more minutes of cardio.
  • Daisusaikoro
    Options
    I like the either answer. Because really, either works.

I tend to, when I have time, do 60 min cardio, exercise a full body routine, and then another 60 min cardio.

However, if I'm changing my weight routine and know it's going to require a little more energy, I'll do 10min light cardio to warm my body up, do weights, and then do the 60-120.

If I'm feeling particularly peppery and know I'm going to do a weight routine I'm pretty used to I can do the 120 and then the weights but I know I'll be SPENT by the end of it...
  • kmizzo
    Options
    I like doing both I do 40 min of cardio weights (generally a full body workout) and then another 40 min of cardio, especially because cardio is best for weight loss! While weights mostly tone.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I run 3x a week and do circuit training 3x a week.

After my runs, I am waay too tired to do anything else, so I've incorporated circuit training on days I'm not running so I can do weights and still keep my heart rate up.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I like the either answer. Because really, either works.

I tend to, when I have time, do 60 min cardio, exercise a full body routine, and then another 60 min cardio.

However, if I'm changing my weight routine and know it's going to require a little more energy, I'll do 10min light cardio to warm my body up, do weights, and then do the 60-120.

If I'm feeling particularly peppery and know I'm going to do a weight routine I'm pretty used to I can do the 120 and then the weights but I know I'll be SPENT by the end of it...

I really like this answer BUT how much time are you spending at the gym total? At least an hour from cardio I see.. just curious.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options

I've also heard that you need to do at least 20 min of strength training before cardio if you do it on the same day. Something about the way our bodies burn fat and it's better to weights than cardio. I've started to do that now and I love it. Sometimes I do 60 min of weights on my lunch hour and then after work go to the gym and do an hour of cardio. Or some days if I can fit it both in at the same time I do the weights/cardio mix.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Both (unless cardio is swimming then I skip the weights). Cardio is 60 minutes and weights are between 20 - 40 minutes of weights (it depends on the muscle group I'm working)

I always do cardio first. I can't do it the other way my cold muscles don't like to lift.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Both, Lift 4 x a week about 45-60min in the AM , then run 6 days a week anywhere from 40-90min ( track workouts, not straight distance) in the PM , I cant do anything after running because im dead , personal preference though
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^ This, and you risk injury if you lift tired as you form will not be as good.
  • byj5
    byj5 Posts: 1
    Options
    My trainer says warmup first for ten minutes then weight train. It burns the glycogen in your muscles then if you do cardio afterwards you go into fat burning mode. Ditto on the compromising energy if you do cardio first. building muscle helps you to raise your bmr. I was a "fluffy" marathoner, now getting leaner by weight training and doing HIIT (sprints, etc...)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I exclusively do them on the same day. For the past couple weeks I have been experimenting with strength then cardio. IT feels a little weird, but I'll see how my body reacts in a month or 2.

I warm up for 5-10 minutes on a cardio mchine (rower or elliptical) or if I walked to the gym, that works too.
    Then I'll do weights for 15-20 minutes. I usually do 5-8 different exercises. 3 sets of around 10 reps each. I usually rest from 30-90 seconds. Sometimes I'll do all of the exercises in a row, more circuit like, with no breaks between exercises. And then rest between the sets. This definitely gets my heart rate up.

After that I'll hop on a cardio machine for 20-35 minutes. I only do intervals when I am at the gym. I usually end up doing some other light cardio during the week 1-2 times by walking to the coffeeshop or something (this works out to be around 2 miles of walking and all routes include hills.)

I am exercising in the AM, and this puts an extra wrinkle in things, sometimes I don't have much energy for the cardio because I don't eat first (I have a medicine I need to take in the AM on an empty stomach and wait for 30-60 minutes before eating). On those days, I definitely only do 20 minutes.

I used to do the reverse workout. Cardio for 20-30 minutes, then strength training. I usually incorporate one more at home strength training session for core or something. Not really keen on laying on the mats at the gym for core stuff (or stretching :P)