Migraines

Options
2»

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I found out after years of suffering that sleep regularity was one of my biggest triggers. After I quit my retail hours job I felt a LOT better.

There are a bazillion medications out there, both preventative and for treating the migraine when you already have it. Some are more effective than others and everyone is different.

Hormones are also a factor. I tried taking birth control pills continuously so that I didn't have a period. It seemed to help, but it also made me sluggish, tired, and hungry.

Food doesn't have a strong effect on me unless I'm sugared up or suffering from caffeine withdrawal. Whenever I feel buzzed from sugar or caffeine, there is always a crash afterward, and there is a good chance that the crash involves pain.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Fellow migraine sufferer here! Caffeine seems to be a trigger for me. But, the biggest thing is gluten. I am either severely gluten intolerant or have Celiacs and even the tiniest cross contamination will land me in bed with a migraine. It's gotten better - but most recently I discovered that caffeine is also triggering them. This sucks!
  • Showcats
    Options
    I have had migraines for over 30 years, since I was about 12. I have many triggers, some I can control and some I can't. My main triggers are food (cheese, chocolate, caffeine, nitrates, preservatives, red wine, artificial sweeteners), changes in the weather, the heat, bright lights, strong perfume, and hormonal changes. As a preventative, I take blood pressure medication and seizure medications. I take Fioricet when I first get a headache and Maxalt for migraines. I also have the hangover where I have a dull headache for 1-2 days after a migraine. I have been doing much better since I am eating better and have started exercising regularly. I just started relaxing yoga last week so I am hoping that will help as well. I think people who do not have migraines don't understand how dibilitating they can be.

Tammy
  • hendsbee4mee
    Options
    I think people who do not have migraines don't understand how dibilitating they can be.

I completely agree that people that do not have them do not understand how dibilitating they can be as up until last year I was one of those people. I gets frustrating sometimes so Im so glad to talk to people that understand!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    For those with "hormone" triggers talk to your Doc about low dose prozac. It can be a big help in decreasing the frequency and if you are Peri-menopausal it can help smooth the symptoms with out "hormone therapy"
  • Jenny_MSW
    Jenny_MSW Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just to throw in my two cents.... I used to have a constant low-grade headache 24/7 in addition to weekly migraines and tension headaches. A neurologist put me on Topomax a year ago and I have only had 3 headaches in the last year. I literally had to get used to the feeling of NOT having a headache. The side effects are minimal, sometimes Ill get tingly fingers or toes like they fell asleep, oh and WEIGHT LOSS (boo hoo lol). I lost 9lbs in the first 2 weeks I was on it but nothing after that.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines at least several times a month since I was about 12. Cashews and other nuts used to be a trigger, along with TOM. When I had the hole in my heart repaired and my pulmonary vein rerouted last year, my cardiologist said he was very interested to see how my migraines would be after surgery because I guess there are studies that show that migraines are eliminated with the repair.

Well, for six weeks following my surgery, I had the worst migraines of my life every minute of every day and that is saying a lot. I was on large doses of pain meds just so I could get out of bed. I kept thinking that if this was a permanent thing then I wouldn't be able to go on. In August, about six weeks after surgery, they were gone. I haven't had one since and I eat cashews at least a few times a week now with no problems.

I'm not saying everyone who has migraines has a hole in their heart, but if there is someone having unexplained symptoms or if the migraines are gradually getting worse/more intense (happened to me over a 1 year period before the defect was found) then a consultation with a cardiologist might be something to consider.