An odd NSV

Options
My daily exercise is 45 minutes on my recumbent exercise bike. I have only recently been able to stick to a regular exercise schedule (thanks MFP bros and bro-ettes!), but honestly exercise itself is not fun for me at all. I can think of countless other ways that I could use that time that would be a lot more fun. It feels like work, because it is.

To make it tolerable, I watch TV while exercising. I don't have cable TV or anything in my room, so I borrow from my roommates' large DVD collections. They're both science fiction nerds and this is made obvious when one looks at the DVDs they collect. From the nerdery I selected "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as my first TV series to watch while exercising.

Today marks the day where I have watched every episode of the series, and all of the relevant movies. Some of it was pre-MFP and before my current weight loss efforts, but I feel that detracts from the accomplishment not at all.

Whoopde-do, right? Well, hold on a second there. Each episode is 45 minutes long. There are about 26 episodes per season. There are 7 seasons. All together, there are 178 episodes, and 4 full-length movies, all of which were watched while exercising. That is about half of a year's worth of daily exercise if I never missed a day.

I'm hoping that I've developed a pavlovian response where I can just set the opening theme on repeat and have my metabolism take off. :)

I apologize in advance for this:

Ensign, set a course for weight loss, maximum warp. Engage!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Amazing what keeps us focused!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    OMG, I think this is awesome!! you are so ROCKED that series!! and I absolutely love this NSV :love:
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Awesome :) It's your own personal salivating dog response! *DING*
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Well done, Captn.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that I've developed a pavlovian response where I can just set the opening theme on repeat and have my metabolism take off. :)

LOL The psych student in me loved this!! The side of me trying to lose weight, really hopes this works - that would be amazing!

Great work!!
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hahaha awesome!

What'll you watch next?
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have to watch or read something when I walk on the treadmill too. The time just goes too slowly otherwise. I've been watching Psych and Eureka lately.

At least you didn't get a "Jim, I think he's dead." response while you were working out :wink:
  • constantstar
    constantstar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lol, love it! I've never seen a Star Trek and I have a feeling it would make me hate exercising! I've told myself the only time I can read the last of the Hunger Game series is while on the treadmill - we'll see how that goes. I told myself the same about watching pro-football but that didn't happen ;)
  • RandomDude50
    Options
    Thanks,everyone.

Treekins, I'm going with "Star Trek: Voyager" next. I would have chosen "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" but my roommate is watching it and I don't want to accidentally get in the way of him watching his own DVDs.
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When you've finished all the trek and buffy you might consider obtaining a bit of stargate....I've heard there are >200 episodes ;-).
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I measure crafting in episodes of Buffy (as in, that quilt took me 6 episodes of Buffy to piece) but exercising is even better!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Next up, Big Bang Theory! You might even understand a lot of the trek references they make now!
  • margerator
    Options
    Funny awesome conditioned response!
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. 'make it so! number 1'
  • UUZennie
    UUZennie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stargate is a good idea. You might consider getting a streaming device like http://store.cstick.com/

With Netflix account you have a virtually inexhaustible library. Including classic Trek, Voyager, Stargate, Enterprise, DS9 and tons of other non-Trek or SciFi shows like Cheers and Fraiser. (but who watches those??)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    good NSV with sci-fi - very zen, I like it
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking to it, TV or music makes exercise less painful, I know if I watch TV when I am on the stationary bike it goes much more quickly.

Love the comment about the pavlovian response - I used to do an exercise tape, and I heard the music in the supermarket and started doing the exercise LOL :embarassed:
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    What a fun NSV! I second the suggestion of starting the "Stargate" series, starting with the original movie, of course.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ensign, set a course for weight loss, maximum warp. Engage!

I love you so hard right now.

Also, DS:9 > Voyager. Ferengi! Klingons! Morn!
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    This is totally awesome..... I LOVE it! Good for you. I think it's ironic... I have the entire series (and a bunch of other stuff like that), much like your room mate - but I honestly watch the episodes to help me go to sleep! Haha! Great going!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!