need new veggies!

Options
I don't really eat enough veggies. Any suggestions? I normally eat green beans, broccoli, bell peppers or salad. I'm thinking if trying Brussels sprouts. How do they taste? I also love cabbage.

Replies

• RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try mashed cauliflower! Tastes kinda like mashed potatoes.
    I also recently tried kale & love it!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Try asparagus but steam it. Don't boil.
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is a whole variety of vegetables that you could try. As a vegetarian, I am a queen of vegetables.

Collard greens - southern style/cooked forever with onions and garlic, or crisp stir fry with just garlic, olive oil, and salt (my favorite)
    Green beans/French beans - blanched
    Brussel sprouts - tastes terrific roasted - halve or quarter, throw some olive oil or peanut oil, salt, and pepper, and roast it in low temperature. Yummy! Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.
    Squash - great for soups. I am not a fan of gooey/creamy soups. So I put butternut squash chunks in my soups with pinto beans
    Swiss chard - tastes terrific in lentil soups with garlic. Sprinkle some feta cheese on top and enjoy!
    Kale - again tastes great as stir fry or in soups
    Beet greens - in salad
    Beets - sliced, boiled/steamed
    Spinach - sautee with sesame oil, and soy sauce (avoid if you don't want more sodium)
    Spinach/Strawberry/Cranberry/Walnut/Toasted Almonds salad
    Carrots - raw is not the only way to go. Carmelize with just a bit of oil or butter and throw them in salads
    Okra - saute with onions, tomoatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper, they can also be roasted
    Mushrooms - raw, toasted, stuffed, stir fry etc.
    Zucchini and other types of squash - great with pasta/tomato sauce, roast or stirfy before adding to tomato sauce
    Broccoli stalks - julienne with carrots and make cole slaw with spicy dressing
    Avocado - make into guacamole, or use as sandwich filling, salad dressing etc.
    Eggplant - saute with tomatoes, onions, garlic etc. to make a great dish with rice; saute with tomatoes and basil - great side dish or sauce for pasta
    Cucumber - for salads, sandwiches, chop up and put it in plain yogurt and season with roasted cumin seeds for a great snack or side.

If you are truly adventurous, go to a nearby international food store and you can get a lot more like okra, chinese okra, bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts etc. Experiment. Vegetables offer so much variety...
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just a tip---roasting ( or grilling) tends to turn any ordinary veggie in to a extraordinary veggie.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Beans:

Chickpeas
    Kidney Beans
    Black Beans
    Navy Beans
    Northern Beans
    Black-eyed Peas
    French lentils
    Red lentils
    Yellow split peas
    Green split peas
    Pinto beans
    Roman beans
    Butter Beans

Just to name a few. Soak them overnight and boil them the next day until soft/ Add to pasta. rice, salads, or eat them in a soup! Beans are a must try vegetable that everyone should eat lots of! There are so many varieties out there, try them all.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just a tip---roasting ( or grilling) tends to turn any ordinary veggie in to a extraordinary veggie.

Roasted brussel sprouts, carrots, onion, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, you name it, it's awesome roasted!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Beans:

Chickpeas
    Kidney Beans
    Black Beans
    Navy Beans
    Northern Beans
    Black-eyed Peas
    French lentils
    Red lentils
    Yellow split peas
    Green split peas
    Pinto beans
    Roman beans
    Butter Beans

Just to name a few. Soak them overnight and boil them the next day until soft/ Add to pasta. rice, salads, or eat them in a soup! Beans are a must try vegetable that everyone should eat lots of! There are so many varieties out there, try them all.

Beans are not vegetables, they are legumes............
  • JasonSwetland
    Options
    Last I checked legumes are vegetables. You may be confused and considering vegetables 'garden vegetables'.
  • JasonSwetland
    Options
    Beans:

Chickpeas
    Kidney Beans
    Black Beans
    Navy Beans
    Northern Beans
    Black-eyed Peas
    French lentils
    Red lentils
    Yellow split peas
    Green split peas
    Pinto beans
    Roman beans
    Butter Beans

Beans are not vegetables, they are legumes............

@naturemade: This should help you in the future.

Definition of LEGUME
    1a : the fruit or seed of plants of the legume family (as peas or beans) used for food
    b : a vegetable used for food

Definition of VEGETABLE
    1a : of, relating to, constituting, or growing like plants b : consisting of plants : vegetational
    2: made from, obtained from, or containing plants or plant products <vegetable soup> <vegetable fat>
    3: resembling or suggesting a plant (as in inertness or passivity)
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes is to take broccoli, cauliflower, red potatoes wedged, asparagus and organic baby carrots. Toss them in your favorite spices and some olive oil, place them in a foil cooking bag and grill them. Its awesome and a nice change from steamed or raw veggies. Depending on my sodium for the day sometimes I put a little teriyaki sauce on them too. Hope this helps.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, avocado, sweet potato, spinach are my favorites.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, artichokes, spinach all delicious. Artichoke high in fiber too.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bok Choy and brussel sprouts. Have you checked out the recipe section of MFP?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    There is a whole variety of vegetables that you could try. As a vegetarian, I am a queen of vegetables.

Collard greens - southern style/cooked forever with onions and garlic, or crisp stir fry with just garlic, olive oil, and salt (my favorite)
    Green beans/French beans - blanched
    Brussel sprouts - tastes terrific roasted - halve or quarter, throw some olive oil or peanut oil, salt, and pepper, and roast it in low temperature. Yummy! Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.
    Squash - great for soups. I am not a fan of gooey/creamy soups. So I put butternut squash chunks in my soups with pinto beans
    Swiss chard - tastes terrific in lentil soups with garlic. Sprinkle some feta cheese on top and enjoy!
    Kale - again tastes great as stir fry or in soups
    Beet greens - in saladu
    Beets - sliced, boiled/steamed
    Spinach - sautee with sesame oil, and soy sauce (avoid if you don't want more sodium)
    Spinach/Strawberry/Cranberry/Walnut/Toasted Almonds salad
    Carrots - raw is not the only way to go. Carmelize with just a bit of oil or butter and throw them in salads
    Okra - saute with onions, tomoatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper, they can also be roasted
    Mushrooms - raw, toasted, stuffed, stir fry etc.
    Zucchini and other types of squash - great with pasta/tomato sauce, roast or stirfy before adding to tomato sauce
    Broccoli stalks - julienne with carrots and make cole slaw with spicy dressing
    Avocado - make into guacamole, or use as sandwich filling, salad dressing etc.
    Eggplant - saute with tomatoes, onions, garlic etc. to make a great dish with rice; saute with tomatoes and basil - great side dish or sauce for pasta
    Cucumber - for salads, sandwiches, chop up and put it in plain yogurt and season with roasted cumin seeds for a great snack or side.

If you are truly adventurous, go to a nearby international food store and you can get a lot more like okra, chinese okra, bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts etc. Experiment. Vegetables offer so much variety...

Great list!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to roast veggies - they get all caramelised and delicious!

Try roasting cherry tomatoes and toss with fine pasta and add some chicken or tuna for a quick and yummy dinner.

Or chop up some sweet potato and red ohion and roast it in a hot oven - either just as it is or add a spray of oil, some salt and pepper and a bit of fresh rosemary and garlic if you have some. When the potato is starting to get soft and the onion is collapsed, add in some chopped up mushroom and capsicum - add a splash of wine or cider if you like.
    Yum!

Snow peas are delicious steamed or raw.
    Broad beans are a yummy snack - I buy them frozen and then cook them in the microwave.

Fennel is delicious sliced really finely in a salad - add some baby spinach, fresh orange segments, slivered almonds and a light olive oil dressing.

Stir fry is a great way to use little bits of different veggies - carrot, capsicum, zucchini, brussel sprouts, mushrooms... you name it, toss it in!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bok choy, asian greens are the best thing in my life.
  • cbediria
    Options
    BUTTERNUT SQUASH!!! roasted with a little salt and pepper, dash of olive oil. low calories, high vitamins, high yumminess!!

and avocados. SO good.
  • cbediria
    Options
    oh and if you love cabbage, try chopping them up, like you're making coleslaw, but no mayo!! put in sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, lemon juice, apple vinaegar...many a teensy bit of salt. soo good.
  • fguillory
    Options
    Bok Choy! I love it!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oooh yeah bok choi is awesome... especially if you cook it in a little sesame oil... good with a hint of chilli in there too :)

I personally love broccoli, courgettes (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), avocado, spinach & the baby leaf spinach, fresh beetroot, cabbage of any description and well... basically everything and anything!

The only things I'm not fond of is kumara, yams and sweet potato, oh and parsnips. I really don't have a sweet tooth haha, but these are good if you do :)