Easy on your knees exercises?

Options
I am 150 pounds (plus) overweight and walking/jogging is very hard on my knees. Does anyone know of any exercises that I could do that aren't so hard on your knees? I know of a few, but I could use a variety of ideas.

Replies

• sonalily
    sonalily Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • ava33
    ava33 Posts: 26
    Options
    If they have trampolines at your gym you could do a rebounding class, apparently as good as running but ok for the knees. The PowerPlate classes are also knee-friendly, tend to be a bit expensive though.
    If not why don't you start slowly with some shorter walks and maybe some upper body strength training?
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Swimming

Agreed in a sense, but I've recently strained my Medial Colateral Ligament, and breast stroke is therefore not so easy on the knee due to the jerky action.

However, front crawl is very good. (i'm just rubbish at it)

I use the elliptical trainer to take out the impact on my bad knee. Low resistance, stationary cycling also seems to yield painless exercise so I guess that one works as well.
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I do the walking and bike. My knees kill me afterwards sometimes though. :(
    I do more walk away the pounds than anything. It's weird, but walking in place doesn't hurt as bad as walking around.
  • Angelangi
    Options
    the elliptical/cross trainer is really good.. i suffer with joint pain and this is the only machine that doesn't seem to impact on any of them, but it sure brings the heart rate up.
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    I usually try to avoid promoting a particular product, but the Gazelle is my favorite home workout machine. It helped me ease back into walking on pavement after two surgeries. Very easy on the knees, but still a good cardio boost.
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    the elliptical/cross trainer is really good.. i suffer with joint pain and this is the only machine that doesn't seem to impact on any of them, but it sure brings the heart rate up.

I use the elliptical too, it's easy on the knees and gives you a fantastic workout.
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that has problems using the elliptical? That machine KILLS my knees. Last time I tried it I was on it for less than a minute and the pain in my knees was enough to make tears come to my eyes. Not for me!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For aerobic exercise: Cross trainer, walking, swimming, cycling/exercise bike

For strengthening/toning: Pilates (my favourite!), yoga

Just a couple of thoughts...

I weigh over 180lbs and have been on arthritis medication since a teenage due to problems wity my knees and hips. Only recently did I get a second opinion, seeing a physiotherapist who said that, yes, there is damage to my joints, but it is due to me having very flat feet, rather than arthritis (I went back to my doctor who sent me off for blood tests and X-rays which showed, after 25 years on medication, that I did not have arthritis).

Six months later and with a pair of orthotic insoles I bought from Boots (UK chain store chemist) that a podiatrist has adapted for me, and the pain has reduced by 60%. It's nothing short of a miracle! She also has me doing strengthening exercises for my quads every day - simple squats and just lifting my feet (so straightening my legs) while sitting on the sofa.

If your knees are sore - please do consider ways to strengthen your quads and do not rule out the possibility that there may be a biomechanical problem at work. Not sure of the costs outside the UK, but the physio and podiatrist I used cost £30 each for a session. I've had four sessions to get these results (total £120), so money well spent!

12 months ago I struggled even walking on the flat, now I've built up the strength in my legs and can do eight hour hikes up mountains. Admitedly, I still get some knee pain, but not to the debilitating level it used to be. Ice packs on my knees and a couple of ibufrofen when I get home are sometimes needed, but not so often now.

This site covers many of the exercises I now do (usually while watching television!): http://www.thewalkingsite.com/knee_exercises.html

Also make sure you have the right footwear - us ladies over a certain size need more sturdy footwear to make sure our poor knees don't bear the brunt of the impact!

Hope this helps!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that has problems using the elliptical? That machine KILLS my knees. Last time I tried it I was on it for less than a minute and the pain in my knees was enough to make tears come to my eyes. Not for me!

No, I have too! It can depend on how far apart the foot holds are and your own anatomy, I'm sure! Running is easier for me than an elliptical!

And to the OP-- I have terrible knees. The have continunual "crunching" I take glucosamine w/ chondroitin and work on strengthening my muscles the stabilize the knee- quads, hammies, etc.... I run and then ICE ICE ICE. It helps. Good luck!!!!!
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also have bad knees ever since my bout with 30day shred a month ago :grumble: , so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Would love to see some workout dvd suggestions!!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cycling actually FIXED my dud knees. Cycle classes are fantastic workout to boot.

Also the never fail swimming is always good,
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with one of my knees. My doctor told me not to do exercise which involves complete extension of the leg so cycling would be okay. It all depends on the actual problem. Exercise could help to fix it as you are building up the muscles around the knee to support it.
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics and aqua walking are both low impact as the water provides flotation, taking weight off knees. A heated pool will also provide a soothing for muscles. stay in the water for 15 minutes after exercising and you don't need to do warm down exercises.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options

The elliptical does hurt my knees somewhat, however, the ARC trainer (made by Cybex) does not! I can go longer on it, and the motion seems a little more natural to me! If your gym has one, you should try it!