Running on the Elliptical vs running outside

Options
So, I run on the elliptical about 3-5 times a week for about 30minutes. I usually can do about 3.15 - 3.25 miles. I used to run CC but that was a very long time ago and I am wondering if I could do a 5k? I have been running on the elliptical for about 1 yr on & off, and I don't know if it would be much of a difference from running outside. Other than it maybe harder on my joints, can anyone say what the difference might be?

Replies

• MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical and running and I find that running is definitely harder! Especially outside due to terrain/inclines etc. I would recommend you try C25K - 9 week programme to get you running the 5km. I am currently on week 6 and about to run 25 mins which is about 3.5km for me.
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look into it!
  • flab2sixpack
    Options
    I do both... I run on treadmill and run outside. I feel like a complete fool when running outside though! It's a lot harder to keep a regular pace BUT I burn more kcals when running outside vs. treadmill.
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I want an easy workout I do the eliptical if I want a hard workout I run outside...I wouldn't compare the 2. It's so much harder running outside! I agree start with the c25k program. I started with that and I hated to run and I love running now. Starts you out slow and builds you up.

Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running outside is very different from running on a treadmill, and completely different to using the elliptical!

Don't panic about what people have said about running outside being harder - that's only the case at first, but you'll find in a very short time it feels much easier because it's far more interesting!

As others have said, look into C25K, here's a link to it's simplest form:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You also might be interested in my beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, and do please come back and let us know how you get on! :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest making the transition gradually, running outdoors is actually better for you - you're using a lot of small muscles balancing, changing direction and dealing with uneven terrain that you don't on an elliptical. Running (outdoors or on a track) also helps build bone density - an elliptical does to a much lesser extent.

The other myth is that running is hard on your knees - unless you have other underlying joint problems or are extremely overweight this is a complete fallacy :

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012/02/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blogs-_-RunningRuinsYourKnees
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I only run outdoors, love it! I don't suffer with my joints at all, mind you I do take a joint supplement! Go of it, outdoor running is so liberating!!
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way through c210k on the treadmill. I get a far better burn on the elliptical as my running speed is so slow. I am transitioning to the hs track as soon as NY warms up enough for me & am fully expecting it to be more difficult. It seems to me that just the forward motion alone will provide more work for my legs plus the turns on the track, some wind, etc.

I'll look for you guys out on the road!

Robin
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill, and I switched to outside in the summer..I can't do it on a treadmill any more it bores me to tears. Running outside is more demanding on your joints..but I seriously wouldn't have kept it up with out my group.
  • lillmssy
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question. I have been on a elliptical for about 7-8 weeks now. I eventually jumped on the TM and found running was harder. BUT.....I can pull a easy 3 miles on the TM now and am thinking of venturing out doors. I feel I will be disappointed if I can't run the 3 miles outside :(:noway:
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For sure look into the C25k running program. I just finished week 2. I usually run on the treadmill for about 4.5 miles @ 6-7mph, but am struggling outside with just 2 miles. It's a great program that mixes walking and running to get you started. It goes very gradual too.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside versus the treadmill. I actually find the treadmill harder because it is boring and doesn't hold my attention so I generally just stop and switch to something else cardio. I LOVE running outside though
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question. I have been on a elliptical for about 7-8 weeks now. I eventually jumped on the TM and found running was harder. BUT.....I can pull a easy 3 miles on the TM now and am thinking of venturing out doors. I feel I will be disappointed if I can't run the 3 miles outside :(:noway:

Yea, I'm worried I may not finish! Especially when I used to run CC in High School, and I didn't think it was that difficult. I'm going to look into the C25k thing but I think I will start to transition back over to the treadmill.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Running outside is much more difficult than running on a machine. You have nothing helping you at all. I would definitely make the transition from inside to outside with plenty of time to get used to it.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Running is harder than the ellip.

I started on the ellip because I didn't want to put a lot of stress on my joints. When I got to about 215, IIRC, I tried running but it was a bummer 'cause things still jiggled! :-)

When you run, you are actually jumping from one foot to another. In contrast, on the ellip, your most of weight is supported (high impact vs low impact?).

The C25K is a great way to start. It introduces your body to stress in a very gradual way and that's important for injury prevention.

Stick to it. "Eat less and exercise more" really works!