why do i gain weight with 30 ds?

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
i did 30 ds in dec... i lost no lbs, actually gained 3. by the end of week 2 i lost 1 inch off my waist and 2 off my belly and hips. that was it for the whole 30 days. I am re doing the whole dvd now and i am 14 days into it and i have gained 1 lbs already and no inches at all yet.... can anyone explain to me why i am gaining and not loosing any inches this time?

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You are most likely gaining muscle and a lot of losing weight has to do with what you eat also!
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am having same issue, but the inches lost is awesome. I am on level 2 day 3.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I gained as well. But believe i lost inches. I was told to eat back my excersise calories which i hadnt been doing, so have been trying that the last few days. Nothing yet...will see! I was down to 154 and went up to 156/158 ....sigh...but i feel more tight and belly went down, pants fit looser...etc....i think i gained muscle. Cause i lost 95 lbs without excersising much, to hard core with 30ds and bike riding...bike riding becme easier to since ive been doing that dvd. So i see benifits...just no move in the scale but up....which stinks!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You won't have gained muscle in that time, it just doesn't work that quickly, but what is happening is that you are working the muscle with resistance, creating little tears in it. The muscle, in trying to repair itself, swells and thus feels bigger and weighs more. This is a good thing, it means you are doing it right. I did 20-odd days of the shred before getting bored and I didn't lost any weight in that time, but then suddenly, after giving up and taking some time off, I lost weight and inches.

Make sure you take a rest day each week to repair those muscles and be patient. :-)
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Whenever i decide not to excersise i loose weight....i did this when i first was on my journey and joined a gym, i was at a stand still. I stoped going and down the scale went. I bet if i stopped working out again the scale would go down, but i wouldnt be getting in shape. So im keeping at it!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about giving up, I'm talking about rest days.
  • Reckabek
    Options
    I'm not talking about giving up, I'm talking about rest days.

Oh ya i take at least 1/2rest days! Im still lazy as all heck...lol
  • Mattymoomoo5
    Options
    am doing the 30 ds too, my weight fluctuates as normal, seeing inches lost but am trying to take rest days once or twice a week cos really feel the pain! good luck everyone on your journeys.
  • lin7604
    Options
    You won't have gained muscle in that time, it just doesn't work that quickly, but what is happening is that you are working the muscle with resistance, creating little tears in it. The muscle, in trying to repair itself, swells and thus feels bigger and weighs more. This is a good thing, it means you are doing it right. I did 20-odd days of the shred before getting bored and I didn't lost any weight in that time, but then suddenly, after giving up and taking some time off, I lost weight and inches.

Make sure you take a rest day each week to repair those muscles and be patient. :-)

thx. this time around i am not sore at all. I went though level 1 with NO problems at all.... could do it all and keep up through all of it no problem and none of it modified. i am going to get myself 5 lbs weights today and give my muscles a work out again... i think the 3lbs arn't cutting it now, it's easy with them. I know last time i did this dvd i gained 3 lbs and yes with in a week it all came off no problem once the whole dvd was done. I did hurt my knee after the 1st day of level 2 ( which happened last time too). i took 1 whole day off to rest it and i figured i would leave out the plank jumps as i think that is what it was that gets me each time. so instead during that cardio time i do butt kicks or jumping jacks. I am 14 days into this now and no changes at all :( i measured myself today.... It's just frustrating, as i am trying so hard to loose weight/ or inches and i have been stuck since Jan.... i am always netting min 1200 cal, i eat back my exercise calories, and measure all foods, i upped calories too, etc no change. I feel like i'm being defeated and i am just ment to be this size, shape, weigh! why is it so hard for me! I know i don't eat enough veggies or drink enough water but you wouldn't think that would stop me from loosing anything!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

^^^This!

Water, glycogen, protein etc fills the muscle for repair.
    Its called the pump!
    Feel the pump?

Oh yea...you weigh more now!
    =D

Perfectly fine!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

+1

Most people will compliment you on your figure, not your weight.
  • Reckabek
    Options

+1

Ahh yes this is true....i noticed i had gained but my mom was like wow u r still loosing u look great! I was like not loosing just excersisng...loosinginches not lbs

• lin7604
    Options

+1

yes if you are loosing inches to make a difference. so far no inches off as of today. i measured this am.
  • Reckabek
    Options

+1

yes if you are loosing inches to make a difference. so far no inches off as of today. i measured this am.

Hang in there u will start seeing it eventually
  • lin7604
    Options
    i sure hope so. i didn't get great results last time, not sure why... so that is why i was trying it all over again.... i guess i will have to toss out the dvd and try something else.?
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Perhaps...maybe ur body is pass that fitness stage? Idk stinks tho...
  • lin7604
    Options
    i just don't know... considering i never got good results the 1st time i did it and i was totally out of shape.... i had just started to exercise, 1st time ever..... well i am going to get 5lb weights to day and will continue the rest of 30 ds with that instead of my 3lb ones... today's food is all planned out and logged and healthy :) I am going to give it all i got till the 20th ( my goal date) and if nothing by then., then i'm throwing in the towel and giving up.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Question....

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

How much do you eat daily?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Because you're overestimating your calorie burn and eating back all of your extra earned calories?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Because you're overestimating your calorie burn and eating back all of your extra earned calories?

THIS and maybe only doing 30DS and nothing else? 30DS is great but it's a 20 minute workout and only a 20 minute workout. Maybe you burn 200 calories doing it and I think that's a stretch. Try putting in the same 20 minutes doing hard interval work on an elliptical.