Clean and Lean Diet

Options
Hi all,

I have just finished the 14 day Clean and Lean Diet Kick-start and though I would share my experiences in case any one else is doing or thinking of doing it.

First off the background - the author of this book is Elle Mcpherson's PT and nutritionist and amongst others including Hugh Grant and Victoria Secrets model Rosie huntington-whiteley which seemed like pretty hard hitting references.

The book is based on the reasoning that the human body stores fat for two medical reasons;
- in case of a famine
- as a safe way to store toxins that cannot be processed by your body

It also talks about why sugar is pretty much the Devil and all the affects it has on your body, compared to the nutritional benefits

So in order to have a lean healthy body you must eat small portions frequently and eat pure whole foods with no processing, chemicals or sugars.

For the first 2 weeks your diet plan includes 0 sugar (not even fruit) and no wheat either (as it rapidly converts to sugar), it includes lots of lean organic meat, dairy, fish and tons of veges! + a few sources of oats or rye bread. The thing I found surprising in this diet was it advocates eating whole foods, i.e. full fat milk, butter, yoghurt etc. as long as they are in their natural state. This is because the chemicals and sugar added to low calorie foods are far worse for you than the healthy 'good fats' these foods contain. However this was a major change for me after years of 'skinny lattes'. I was shocked I lost more weight with full fat then I ever have on trim and soon I looked forward to the 'treat' of some avocado or smoked salmon

So how did I find it?
It takes a lot of organisation to make sure you have food available to eat at the right times and you will be shocked when you start reading the back of labels as to how many products have added sugar (tinned tuna!) However there full 14 days meals and snacks are planned out for you and there are recipes you can swap in (I am allergic to prawns so had to do this) which make it a lot easier to stick to. At first I thought eating organic would be expensive but I found when I minused the 'eat-out' lunches and daily coffees I actually saved money!

You are allowed to drink a cup of coffee a day (black, organic, with a splash of whole milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon). And if you are hungry can fill up on as many veges as you need.

For the first two days I had a massive headache (which came back a couple of times over the 14 days) and felt really really low. However on the third day I was euphoric and energised in a way I have truly never felt before and that people commented on. Over the next seven days my energy plateaued at a comfortable energised but not overwhelmed level and I found it easier and easier to ignore the child in my head screaming for sugar.

In the second week I noticed more subtle changes, like the pores on my face disappearing (well getting smaller), my skin getting softer and all my blemishes disappearing, it was easier to get out of bed in the morning and my hair was thicker and shinier. It feels like this is what we are supposed to feel like all the time

The book has a simple exercise plan which I actually didn't do in the first week but started in the second as my new found energy really motivated me to get moving.

Overall I have lost 5 pounds in the 2 weeks (normally I'd be lucky to shift a pound in that time) and more than that I FEEL great - focused and energised, I don't get that mid afternoon slump or horrible 'dead' feeling in the mornings. Now the two weeks are done I can introduce thin skinned fruit and organic honey to my diet plus the occasional wine, or rice and one meal "off" a week.

This diet has helped me see real results and feel so good I HIGHLY recommend! It is nothing too revolutionary but I was shocked at how small changes and ditching the sugar has had such a profound affect.
Also I found that an average day had me nearly exactly (within 20 +/-) on my calorie count and ticking most of my nutritional boxes to (which I used to struggle with!)

Most of all I think this is truly a way I can eat for life and that the 2 weeks has allowed me to form habits, break addictions and adjust my tastes to make that possible!

If any one else has done this diet I would love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've never heard about this diet but sounds pretty good!:love: , I would like to give it a try, how can I find It?, Is there an online copy?:smile:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey - I couldn't see it as an e-version but here is a link to it on amazon which should have all the info you need! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1856269329?ie=UTF8&tag=bodyism-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1856269329
  • susiecwhite
    Options
    I have done this diet after a friend recommended the book to me. It has completely changed my life!
    I lost 1 1/2 stone following the diet plan.
    I truely believe in everything James says and it is very simple to follow.

It makes perfect sense to only put in your body Clean and Lean Foods!
    Lots of fresh organic meat and fish and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Its not rocket science really I just found the book really inspiring and I find myself reading it again and again.

I enjoy eating this way, I have become more creative with what I cook and it makes me feel good.

I would highly recommend the book to anyone wanting to change the way they eat.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Did you find that you were hungry?? I am 3 days in and literally STARVING. I calculated the calories and it's less than 1000/day if you follow the plan exactly. I've tried upping the veggies, but one can only eat so many in a day, and I've started creeping up the protein portion sizes. Not sure what else to do. I like the concept, but the plan is frankly leaving a lot to be desired. I don't get how you sell a plan as a one-size-fits-all approach to each (relative to portion-sizes, anyways).
  • Missiebrown
    Options
    I think the diet is great!! It is amazing how it has changed the way I eat and look at food.

I am now on day 7 of the Clean and Lean Kickstart. I weighed myself this morning and was amazed the see that I had lost 1.8kg. Wow...after all of the years that I have been trying to get rid of the weight I didn't realise that I could eat as much as I have (and even drop back a bit of my exercise) and lose this much.

I just feel so much better within myself and I really believe that I owe this to not eating as much sugar and wheat.

I just love lollies and I had them at least 2-3 times a week. Not massive amounts, I am talking a small bag of mixed lollies of an afternoon while working. Until reading James' book I had no idea how bad it was for me.

To Lauehord, can I ask...do you add the oil to your salad and vegetables that James says? The only reason I ask is that you said you are hungry. I have found that on a couple of times where I have fogotten to add the oil I have been more hungry but when I do add the oil I find I am more satisfied and can keep going for a while. The idea of every meal having a good fat, portein and vegies is such a simple one and it really works.

To anyone out there reading this - please please please try this. It is worth following 100% and I promise you that you will not only look and feel better after the two weeks but you will be very happy to continue to live Clean and Lean :-)
  • megancoyle20
    Options
    Im on day 1! did u use the bodyism stuff and the pro/prebiotics?
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty close to this anyway. No carbs and no big sugar group goods.

But looking through my intake for the last couple of weeks I am generally getting between 50-80g of Sugar per day! Is this way too much according to the diet?

Most of them are in milk or yogurts, starbucks skinny lattes with no extra sugar, or some fruits (But I have only been eating pineapples which is the lowest sugar of most fruits).

Is this level of sugar a problem? Should I be cutting out these foods too do you think?

Otherwise I am all lean meats and veg!
  • suzreegs
    Options
    Got the book, am in the mindset and have already ditched the alcohol and all sugar apart from fruit.
    Very keen to now start the 14 day programme but struggling as a vegetarian (ovo-lacto so dairy fine).
    Tips for the 2 weeks urgently required as snacking on turkey is unfortunately not an option....!!!
  • anaknight
    Options
    My only question is how much do you gain back once you introduce fruits etc back??

Ana
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • As an addendum to this: I have been cooking using James's cookbook. I haven't done the Kickstart (although am debating it!) but have adopted CRAP (caffeine, refined sugars, alcohol and processed food) as a framework.

I love the recipes although I get it is easier to eat his plan if you a) eat meat and fish (me veggie) and b) aren't feeding a family. However, I eat loads of veggies and salads and having a little bit of good yoghurt or cheese makes all the difference.

On Saturday, I visited a farmers market and stocked up on artisan bread and cheese as a treat to myself.

OMG. I have never felt so ill.

I LOVE THE CLEAN AND LEAN WAY OF LIFE. Even without doing the diet and the supplements, I feel fantastic. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who loves food.
  • carteremma
    carteremma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Clean and Lean diet for 7 days now and I feel amazing. It is not a case of watching how much you eat, just what you eat. You have to cut out sugar, processed foods and alcohol completely, but the weight has been falling off me and without really trying. I have not been using his supplements as I don't feel I need them at this stage.

This was such a hard diet to start with. cutting out sugar was horrible. I went through hideous withdrawl, my energy levels plummeted, I had headaches and I was in an awful mood. This lasted for the first 3 days, but I was sleeping better as I would only have one cup of organic black coffee first thing in the morning, on day 4 I practically bounced into the office and felt amazing! I can't believe how much energy I had first thing in the morning. This has calmed a bit, but I still feel energised for most of the day.

Another thing I noticed at the start of this diet was after eating a meal I still FELT hungry, but when I actually took a minute to think about it, I was full in the belly and I was actually just craving sugar. My body expected something sweet after a meal, it was the strangest thing to acknowledge. I now have none of that. Now the cravings are gone, I don't get this anymore and it's easier to detect when I am actually hungry.

Is anyone else doing this? Should I watch out for anything in the next week?

So far I have lost 9lbs in 7 days (and I think a lot of this will be to do with increasing the water I drink each day). I am looking to sustain this way for eating clean and organic (where possible) foods after the 14 day kickstart is done. I am looking forward to being able to add in a little goats cheese to my meals, but I don't really crave anything now.
  • tinkerbelltanya
    Options
    I have purchased the books today and intend reading and planning next week. Would like to know how you are all getting on since your posts.
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    would say its pretty obvious if you eat the basics, taking out sugars, carbs etc that you will lose weight. I do get very annoyed when I read words like 'detox' though it doesnt exist, your liver detox and drinking water will not make your system better for doing this. I do think a lot of this is mental belief especially with 'pores shrinking' - pores do not shrink there is no muscles to do this.

Changing your diet around the pure eating is a good move but cant be done for too long as its near impossible. Going back to basics is what all our bodies need. I dont beleive either in buying supplements its a great way of boosting your profits but cant understand the principle of this if your eating all this fantantic 'organic' food!

We used to farm and the overuse and ignorance over 'organic' foods against quality foods has always drove me mad. In the UK we have excellent farming and very little chemical intervention its ignorance that breeds this line of thought. You can source high quality, low stocked outdoor reared meats at farm gates against the supermarket rubbish which is prob better than mainy organically farmed meats. I'm not sure if this is try of the USA?

Surely, you dont need to buy a book for this diet.
  • tinkerbelltanya
    Options
    would say its pretty obvious if you eat the basics, taking out sugars, carbs etc that you will lose weight. I do get very annoyed when I read words like 'detox' though it doesnt exist, your liver detox and drinking water will not make your system better for doing this. I do think a lot of this is mental belief especially with 'pores shrinking' - pores do not shrink there is no muscles to do this.

Changing your diet around the pure eating is a good move but cant be done for too long as its near impossible. Going back to basics is what all our bodies need. I dont beleive either in buying supplements its a great way of boosting your profits but cant understand the principle of this if your eating all this fantantic 'organic' food!

We used to farm and the overuse and ignorance over 'organic' foods against quality foods has always drove me mad. In the UK we have excellent farming and very little chemical intervention its ignorance that breeds this line of thought. You can source high quality, low stocked outdoor reared meats at farm gates against the supermarket rubbish which is prob better than mainy organically farmed meats. I'm not sure if this is try of the USA?

Surely, you dont need to buy a book for this diet.

not sure what you are referring to this is not just about organic its about choices and no where does it say you must take supplements. Also not sure where the rant about ignorance and so forth came from simple questions asked was have you done followed the plan if so how did you do , i presume that you have not followed the plan
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    think this post is great. I found it a great read and yes Clean living is key to loosing weight.

I have to agree with tinkerbelltan.....the post from floppy back end was a rant and a very negative one at that.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done the program as I'm keen to try it. I have had a look over the recipies and they look really good.

PS Detox is real as is toxicity... Its why we get a headache as the body is cleansed from CRAP and it finaly detoxes.
  • gemgem070782
    Options
    I have tried every diet going and found the G.I helped me achieve 3 stone weight loss 6 years ago, I have been able to keep it of but struggle with my tummy area so thought I would try clean and lean. I'm on day 7 and have lost 10lb and 3 inches. I'm really pleased with the results so far. I found the first 3-4 days hard like everyone else, I'm not hungry but have sugar cravings.
    I do a lot of weights in the gym to tone and before this did protein shakes which still gave me weight loss. I just wanted people's thoughts on doing protein shakes with this diet as I have currently stopped while on the 14 day kick start but want to start them again after, the bodyism shakes are expensive but don't have any sweetners. Do you think it's bad if I have one with a sweetner? Or am I undoing my hard work?
  • Kitty_Kat_meow
    Options
    Bump to find again later, sounds like a really good diet :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont quite understand the theory behind your body storing toxins in fat, especially since the liver and kidneys are there acting as filters.
  • natashamacy
    Options
    Hi
    I am on day 7 of clean and lean lost 4.5lbs so far feeling great how much have others lost in the full 14 days?
    Thanks