Fight the Muffin Top!

Options
2»

Replies

• TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you were focused on your abs. I would try focusing on your entire core to reduce the muffin top look, rather than just your abs. Specifically, core exercises that work the oblique muscles. Incorporate them into your routine:

-Dumbbell side dips are an easy one (with the right weights)
    -torso twists seems very easy, but enough of them with a legs slightly off the ground will do the trick
    -Side plank hip raises (you can also go up on your hands from here and twist inward with the opposite arm for more advanced workout)
    - regular plank with a knew in twist. So from plank, bring the knees in to the opposite side chest.

Lower ab workouts also help, and are tad more difficult for women to tone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you're eating ENOUGH. When I was eating too little, I reached my goal weight, but all I got was a smaller version of my old body. I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, etc. THIS time around, eating right and exercising right, I'm 2-3 sizes smaller at that same weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As much as people hate me when I say this, WELL fitting pants will not give you a muffin top (at ANY size). Most low-rise pants are NOT well fitting because they need the pressure against your hips to keep them from sliding down.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for saying so! =)
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    As much as people hate me when I say this, WELL fitting pants will not give you a muffin top (at ANY size). Most low-rise pants are NOT well fitting because they need the pressure against your hips to keep them from sliding down.

agree. wear them up higher on waist:) until you lose weight and tone up. idk, I have same body type that Felidae_1981 described (pants on the ground, lol) If they are too low they will sit at hips which are narrower than waist so no matter size of pants you'll have muffin top. If you get a higher rise jeans they will sit up on bigger part of stomach and not be so bad. A lot of young people don't like higher rise jeans (mom jeans...well maybe not that high!) but I still say it looks better than having a muffin top or like you are squeezing into your pants! lol
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    As I'm sure you have heard frequently, you can't spot reduce... but a great workout video is 6 week 6 pack by Jillian Michaels.
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Try Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. She includes exercises to help with the Muffin Top and several other trouble areas. It's working for me.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try wearing a shaper. It works wonders for me and takes care of the muffin top. I've lost 90 pounds and have loose skin above my belly button that acts this a muffin top when I'm wearing pants. The one is wear is very comfy.
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    ive been doing a lot of standing trunk twists and they are helping with my muffin top :)
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy weights.

Check out this book - http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • AnuMe901
    Options
    You are who you are and you are lovely. I have never had a muffin top, nor have I had any boobs. One husband, three children, five countries, life is good. Never let anyone else's ideas about what you should look like influence your opinion about yourself.

I agree! :)
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same problem. Recently, I started Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack abs and i can tell a HUGE difference in my 'muffin top'. I had these lounge pants where it used to hang over, and now, its almost non existent. I highly recommend this workout dvd! i have not only noticed my sides, but my abs as well. Jillian likes to incorporate cardio in her workouts as well as full body moves. Hope this helps! Best of luck

I've been doing 30DS on and off and I've seen a difference with my MT, belly and bingo wings, I heart JM, I plan to get on 6W6P too xx
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options

agree. wear them up higher on waist:) until you lose weight and tone up. idk, I have same body type that Felidae_1981 described (pants on the ground, lol) If they are too low they will sit at hips which are narrower than waist so no matter size of pants you'll have muffin top. If you get a higher rise jeans they will sit up on bigger part of stomach and not be so bad. A lot of young people don't like higher rise jeans (mom jeans...well maybe not that high!) but I still say it looks better than having a muffin top or like you are squeezing into your pants! lol

I so agree with these comments. I see a lot of younger girls, skinny or not, that either wear their jeans too low or too tight and it creates a muffin top.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Walking with a mix of a slow to moderate jog every 10 minutes or so is helping me in that area. I have taken the 10,000 step a day challenge and have seen great improvement. I have ordered the 30 day shred and I am hoping between the two to be bathing suit ready by April!:happy:
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    Actually the way you wear your pants has alot to do with the way your body reacts. I have my BA in fashion design and although most people dont take that major in general as a serious one its alot more work than most of you will ever know and even think about. it is not a 18 month course or a certificate, its a 4 year degree so before anyone thinks this is a joke its not.
    as far as the way your clothes fit, yes it makes a difference. Yes of course genetics play a major part as well but you can slowly change it. if you wear alot of low or hipsters it hits you at your hip bones and well... after several years of wearing the same waistline pants it will create that part of your hips to be a little smaller than your tummy due to the pressure/tightness of that area being tightened in the same spot for so long. I have never had a muffin top problem. in fact when i was younger i used to wear alot of high/natural waist pants therefore i always had a little bit of that under the belly pudge and never understood why. well once the hipsters came in style i started wearing them in high school and ever since, its been almost 8 years since High school and i am now starting to get a little muffin top. mine is small and is already going away since i have been on mfp which is only my fourth week but i can definatly see that spot where i wear my pants now and have noticed that my natural waist is not as small as it used to be, not only bc i have put on a little bit of weight but because i never wear high waisted pants anymore. of course this is not something that can be changed in a short time, it would take a long time but it can be changed. take a look at history and how small woman used to be in the waist. they wore nothing but high waitsed or nautral waisted pants and skirts and undergarments like corsets to help shape their bodies and waist. Even in this day an age there are still women whom wear corsets under their clothing or shapewear to help shape their bodies. again, this takes time but it really dose make a difference.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you're eating ENOUGH. When I was eating too little, I reached my goal weight, but all I got was a smaller version of my old body. I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, etc. THIS time around, eating right and exercising right, I'm 2-3 sizes smaller at that same weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

She speaks the truth! The only way to really change your body is by reducing body fat by losing the fat and gaining muscle! Like her, I was 102 pounds and had higher body fat than I do now at 110 pounds...and the same clothes fit, only better! Crazy how that works.

I do a variety of exercises that also work the hip area. Fireman carry - carry 25lb dumbbells and do a brisk walk (I walk around the gym 2x), I do medicine ball twists with a 10lb medicine ball, I do cable twists with a heavy weight, also regular stuff like deadlifts, squats, and lunges work WONDERS for the mid section as well.
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    my pants don't really sit that low... and no, I won't wear "Mom Jeans" - LOL. Right now I won't buy smaller, I just wear a belt with the ones that are getting too lose. It doesn't look bad unless I wear a supertight or short shirt, which I just don't.

My friends actually think I don't have a belly, well, I am GOOD at hiding it :P It just annoys me personally - which SHOULD be the main reason to lose weight anyway, because YOU want to look better for YOURSELF :)

I have some pants from when I was skinnier that give me a super belly, I don't wear those at all. Everyone should wear what fits - and unfortunately many people don't.

I do agree with the comment about where you wear your pants you are smaller. So true for me... I go out by the butt, in where the pants sit and out again around my belly. Odd shaped right now. But working on it.

Cardio, strength and better eating habits should help (disregard my weekend please - LOL)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Actually the way you wear your pants has alot to do with the way your body reacts....after several years of wearing the same waistline pants it will create that part of your hips to be a little smaller than your tummy due to the pressure/tightness of that area being tightened in the same spot for so long...

You're 100% right.. and thats all im ever going to comment on the subject...

**sneaks out**
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just realized the pants I'm wearing today are supposed to sit higher, but they won't stay there even with a belt right now - WIN!! :) Except that I really like these pants and they were not cheap either ....