How do I learn to love running?

Options

Replies

• achief192
    Options
    Good music makes all the difference!

I hated running too, but forced myself to do it. The pounds started melting away and I couldn't argue with the results. That kept me motivated to run harder and longer.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You can try the couch25K program, they have podcasts in which you can listen to it on your Ipod and they're free (most anyway I believe). It's a 8-9 week program that starts you out very slowly and builds you up so that you can (theoretically) run a 5K by the end of the program. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks though if you feel you are not ready to move on.

However....I am all for giving it a go, but some people just are not meant to be runners. I've tried in the past, I've even had days where I was especially energetic and felt great while running. But most of the time I am gasping for breathe, I have a pain in my side and my shins hurt. Especially outdoors.....I can survive on a treadmill, but outdoors I want to die.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, you may try it and find you love it. Many people do find they like or even love to run once they give it a shot. But if you're like me and you have to force yourself to love it, it's ok to accept that you just aren't a runner. I LOVE walking, especially at a faster pace with my arms pumping. I also love tennis and riding my bike.....sticking to a work out routine is so much easier when you do stuff you enjoy, rather than making yourself like it because you enjoy the idea of doing it.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You have some good advice here. I can tell you from my personal view, I have never learned to love running. I've been doing it for over a year and have slowly built up from running an eleven minute mile to an eight minute mile, and I have run a 5K. All basically because I have to be able to do it for black belt testing for karate. Its mental with me - I have problems breathing and I just can't wait for it to be over - every. single. time.

So I stick to the bare minimum for running and do a whole lot of elliptical, cardio, circuit training, walking, and ARC machine at the gym. Once I test for black belt, I will just try to keep up my under ten minute mile a few times a week and leave it at that.

**I totally agree with everyone who has said that the BEST exercise is one that you will enjoy and do on a regular basis. Just make sure you don't get complacent and you challenge yourself. When I started on the elliptical I could barely knock out ten minutes at no resistance. Now I do forty five minutes to an hour daily with varied levels of resistance and different types of workouts.
  • MissFluffyBottoms
    Options
    Start slow (really slow!) and have some music or audio books that you enjoy to listen to.

But, if you don't like running - don't do it! There are lots of other ways to burn calories.

^This^

I have never enjoyed running and believe me, I have tried many times in the last 27 years. There are lots of other ways to get good cardio that aren't as hard on your knees and ankles.

Running isn't for everyone.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Something that did a lot to improve my enjoyment of running was to go slow. No, slower than that. Slower still! Once you're cruising round and can enjoy the scenery everything else falls into place, including the speed and distance, with time.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Running is an acquired taste. I always loved the way it made me feel afterwards, but hated the time spent doing it. One thing that has really motivated me to keep running is to sign up for long distance races...5K all the way up to the marathon. I am driven by the desire to set new PRs (personal records) each race. Also I think I've developed some kind of addiction to it, where I feel anxiety when I go too long without a good run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Take a 20-30 min walk instead!
    Its easier on your knees and joints.

I wish people would stop perpetuating this nonsense, unless you have other underlying medical problems running does not damage knees and joints.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012/02/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blogs-_-RunningRuinsYourKnees

Being overweight is the leading cause of excessive wear and tear on joints, running actually helps maintain joint health....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--12232-0,00.html

So-called "runners' knee" is most often actually a result of hip and/or glute weakness or other muscular imbalances or overuse injuries such as ITB syndrome.
  • kkester63
    Options
    Hire a mugger to chase you. The excitement and thrill of getting away will teach you to love it!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    start by walking!!!! xx
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    I hate running; I'm not even really a fan of fitness walking...or rather that's how I started. Well, I went to Walmart one day and accidently picked up a walk-at-home video (accidently, yes...long story). Rather than returning it, I decided I'd give it a try. It's excellent. I now own 3 and do them regularly. They helped me love walking and now running is my frienemy...not quite my bff yet, but getting there. Good luck!!!
  • FinallyFitAce
    Options
    I'm get'n ready to go run, RIGHT NOW! a few ppl have previously said these things but...music really does make a HUGE difference. also, when I'm low on motivation I think about the results. look'n f'n awesome trumps not want'n to do said task, imo. ALSO, there ARE other things You can do instead of running...but, running WILL produce the best results, faster, longer.
  • MissFluffyBottoms
    Options
    Regularly run with a major, major hottie. Even if you don't have his or her permission to do so.

LOL
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE running, but I really like sprinting, which is even more beneficial! I do interval training on the treadmill, keeps me from being bored. I'll walk for 2 minutes, do a brisk jog for 1 minute, then sprint full on for 30 seconds, then rest by walking for 1.5 minutes and repeat the whole thing until I get to 20 minutes. You're so busy recooperating from the sprinting that time flies. I know I burn at least 200 calories in 20 minutes but what I am really looking for is that after burn, which you get when you incorporate high intensity interval training into your routine.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, running's not your only option. Just try different things until you find something you like. For me, it's kickboxing, jumping rope, and dance, but there are a lot of options out there. Maybe check out some DVDs or take a class?

13438744.png
  • lilyjay_
    Options
    I'm starting the Couch to 5k program this evening as I really want to get into running too :) We can spur each other on if you fancy it!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of Couch to 5k, being someone who previously couldn't run for more than 10 seconds without gasping for breath despite being relatively fit. I genuinely look forward to running now and am so excited to get better. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My advice in steps! If you are serious, message me and I can help. If it doesn't appeal to you, just ignore!

TODAY
    1. Pickout a local race in the summer in your city or nearest city. A 5k or something. If it is a charity race for a cause you like, even better! July will be hot but you will have sufficient time to prepare. Maybe a Firecracker 4th of July race... ?

2. Sign up for this race NOW. Pay your money. (if you can hassle a friend into doing it with you, even better).

3. Find a suitable race calendar or training program (C25K) and plan out a schedule, 12 - 15 weeks back from your run. Don't worry about what you will be doing until you start training with this plan, I have that covered! (message me if you need help with this. don't BUY some expensive plan, there are plenty of free resources I can point you too).

4. Buy a calendar and start at your race day going backwards, write in the dates of each and every scheduled run in some BRIGHT color.

5.. On six days a week for every week leading UP TO your planned schedule (12-15 weeks from your event), write in the words 'Move for One Hour' a day. Starting TOMORROW.

6. Message me if you need help with the calendar and when you are finished, post copies all over your house. In your bathroom, in the kitchen, on the fridge, next to your bed, etc. Post at least 3 copies in places you will see it.

7. If you have a cell phone with an alarm, set that with the time of day that you want to be ready to work. Set it for EVERY.SINGLE. DAY. including your day off. I set mine for noon, so I have plenty of time to get my moving in.

8. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

TOMORROW:

9. MOVE FOR ONE HOUR. It doesn't matter how. Walk around the block, walk up and down your stairs. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill, take a class. MOVE. Do yoga. Don't worry about how fast you go or what you do, really, do cartwheels if you like, just MOVE. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

NEXT DAY:

10. MOVE FOR ONE HOUR. It doesn't matter how. Walk around the block, walk up and down your stairs. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill, take a class. MOVE. Do yoga. Don't worry about how fast you go or what you do, really, do cartwheels if you like, just MOVE. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

NEXT DAY:

11. MOVE FOR ONE HOUR. It doesn't matter how. Walk around the block, walk up and down your stairs. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill, take a class. MOVE. Do yoga. Don't worry about how fast you go or what you do, really, do cartwheels if you like, just MOVE. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

NEXT DAY:

12. Now that you have your move thing started, start to think about the fact that you want to cover the distance of a 5k race. Start walking during your hour (or jog slowly) and do what you must to start covering your distance. Take the full hour. Can you walk 3 miles in an hour? If not, set that as your goal for the month. See how much ground you can cover in an hour? Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

NEXT DAY:

13. MOVE FOR ONE HOUR. It doesn't matter how. Walk around the block, walk up and down your stairs. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill, take a class. MOVE. Do yoga. Don't worry about how fast you go or what you do, really, do cartwheels if you like, just MOVE. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

EVERY DAY UNTIL THE END OF THE MONTH!

14. MOVE FOR ONE HOUR. It doesn't matter how. Walk around the block, walk up and down your stairs. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill, take a class. MOVE. Do yoga. Don't worry about how fast you go or what you do, really, do cartwheels if you like, just MOVE. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

REPEAT UNTIL IT IS TIME TO START YOUR OFFICIAL TRAINING SCHEDULE.

TRAINING SCHEDULE DAYS

15. Follow your schedule for mileage covered. Do not worry about speed. Do not worry about fancy gear. Just do it. Cover your mileage. That is all. Pick out a comfy workout outfit and your best shoes and lay them out next to your bed tonight. Get a good night's sleep.

RACE DAY

16. Whether your walk, run, skip, crawl or cartwheel, do your race. Disregard the whether, wear what is comfortable to you.
    You will have done this... and you will know if you truly want to be a runner, a walker, a skipper or find a new exercise, that I can promise!!

to me, it is that easy. make a plan, stick with it. push yourself but don't overdo. I started just 'moving' for January and now I am at week 3 in training for a half-marathon.

Also, as to the food, etc. I assume because you are 'here', you have that covered, but if not, PLAN out a healthy diet to support the extra calories you will need to do your event.

I wish you ALL the best!
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    depens on how much you have to loose and how difficult it is. I did c25k on my iphone and it was a good way,
    schedule and motivation because you see how much you improve.
    But you should not disregard the slower pace, walking does wonders we had a walking challenge last year at my company and I tell you that you can do many more steps in a day walking then running...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take a 20-30 min walk instead!
    Its easier on your knees and joints.

I wish people would stop perpetuating this nonsense, unless you have other underlying medical problems running does not damage knees and joints.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012/02/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blogs-_-RunningRuinsYourKnees

Being overweight is the leading cause of excessive wear and tear on joints, running actually helps maintain joint health....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--12232-0,00.html

So-called "runners' knee" is most often actually a result of hip and/or glute weakness or other muscular imbalances or overuse injuries such as ITB syndrome.

But for someone who doesnt want to run....

Do what I do!

Skip breakfast!
    Sleep in!
    Eat at 2pm and lose the fat that way!

BTW every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees!
    You only have so much cartilage so call it nonsense if you like!
    Walking daily for 20 mins is sufficient for fat loss so why run if you can walk?

I can find 100 articles supporting my view on the interwebz but ive got better things to do like enjoy life and not worry about running!
  • burgenah
    Options
    Regularly run with a major, major hottie. Even if you don't have his or her permission to do so.

I love this! I go to the Lake on Tuesdays, there is a runnin club that meets at 6pm, I stalk them, watch their form, and try and keep pace!! Some of them are super hot, and the women are fast. I don't "love running" but I enjoy my iphone tunes and my time alone in the sun/rain.