Success with PCOS

Options

Replies

• crystaldkelley
    Options
    I thought id share my story to keep you hopeful. I have PCOS and when I was in highschool I had to have 2 different surgerys, one to remove a 13 cm cyst and another to remove 2 cyst around 7 cm and half of my left fallopian tube. a couple years later I got pregnant. The ob gyn who done my surgery said id have a terrible time trying to concieve and really I didnt. I hope this helps you!! Best Wishes!!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You do not need medication to lose weight with PCOS.

I was diagnosed in 2009 and prescribed Metformin for insulin resistance.
    I refused to take it. Instead, I take 1,000mg of Cinnamon and it has done wonders.
    It has a similar/BETTER results than Metformin and does not have any side effects at all.

Remove processed carbs and sugar from your diet, exercise regularly.
    I lost 40 pounds and my doctor was floored that I lost the weight and did it naturally.
    All of my hormones are now completely normal!

I highly, HIGHLY recommend treating PCOS naturally.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later for my dd
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You do not need medication to lose weight with PCOS.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend treating PCOS naturally.

THIS!!!!

My doctor pushed me to do it naturally. She told me that there were options (like Metformin) to help, but didn't want me to start on them. She perscribed a cookbook (The Ultimate Metabolism) and told me to try on my own by making a serious life change. So, that is what I did. I cut out processed carbs/sugars, started eating more raw, and lost 30 lbs on my own. Then I hit a wall and thought that the medicine would help, so I went on it for about three months. I HATED IT! It didn't really help. So, I went back off it, and buckled back down to do it myself. Here I am 50 lbs lost, with only 10 to go to reach a weight I haven't been at since I was in middle school. I am healthy, have normal periods, and feel amazing. Drugs aren't the only way.
  • Girleo7853
    Girleo7853 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi i have Pcos I would highly suggest metformin which is a medication they prescribe for it..also drinking fiber regularly..Pcos is insulin resistance I would suggest the low gylycemic index diet..its a good known diet for pcos I've lost 27 pounds in the past 30 days..I tried other plans with out success this plans so simple.. because I can still eat bread and pasta..I can have sour dough and pumpernichol bread. I eat four cheese ravioli.. check out low glycemic diet on Google..it's very easy and not extream.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Stay away from CARBS and SUGAR! Make sure you take your med regularly. If your not taking any med. Than thats why your not losing weight ( go to the doc and get mediformine) if you can! Do carido like dancing or something! I have pcos and its hard but the main thing is stay away from thoughs foods. Yes it will be nasty stuff you eat! But you will see results!

You do NOT necessarily have to get on Metformin, I am not and doing just fine losing weight. Exercising and keeping a good diet, lowering those processed carbs will help you. And it won't be nasty either, it will be exactly what you make of it! Good luck!

I had really bad side effcts from Merformin, I didnt have the normal side effect, It made me feel crazy & mental & you would just had to be in my body to understand. I agree, not a necessity.

Best to talk with your dr on a few options. there aresome great information on here & them some off the wall stuff. check out the forums
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago (a year after my son was born and we were trying for a 2nd) We tried the diet/exercise but that didnt help any. It was like a roller coaster - up down up down same same same etc. Finially last December my GYN put me on Metformin - normally used for bloodsugar problem.s. Since then w/ diet & exercise added I've lost almost 20lbs. If you're having problems maybe suggest that next time you see them. Best of luck to you :)
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Note: metformin does take a month to get into your system. I only take 1 pill a day rather than 2 b/c it's known to upset your stomach. Going at it with low carb & low sugar seems to help too!
  • mrspeters3806
    mrspeters3806 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your doctor. Everyone's experience is going to be different. As for me, I have PCOS (battled infertility for two years because of it) and have lost 67 lbs over the last 8 months. No medication, counting calories (not restricting carbs), exercise, and dedication. Metformin is a good option for some, but it's not for everyone.

I agree with you...I have been watching my calories...The way I see it if you cut your calories you usually cut everything else. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago. I have tried Metformin but it was miserable. I could barely move it made me so sick. My husband and I plan to try having children in the near future, but as for now I will stick to just the weight loss ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to start your menstrual cycle without a prescription? I am currently without insurance and would like to try and start because I haven't had a cycle in over a year.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to start your menstrual cycle without a prescription? I am currently without insurance and would like to try and start because I haven't had a cycle in over a year.

Both times i have lost weight my cycle has started naturally. The first time i went from 210lbs to about 190lbs before it started and it wasnt very regular but the more i lost the more regular it became. This time i started at 198lbs and after the first 6 weeks on MFP my cycle returned and is now between 28-31 days i have never had such a regular cycle. Good luck to you in your journey, it may be possible that weight loss will trigger a cycle for you without the need for medication
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    restrict your carbs to only natural carbs..fruits/veggies. My macros are set to 20% carbs 30% protein and 50% fat...helped me lose the last 10 pounds and maintain since Thanksgiving..
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of sixteen. I'm now thirty five. I've battled with the scales since I was a teenager. I've been successful losing weight several times. The most I've lost was about five years back when I lost about fifty pounds in about eight months. Then I got off the program and gained it all back plus about twenty five pounds more. You can read more about my history and what I've been doing over the past year on my MFP blog. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jcstanton?month=201109
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

OH to be a boy sometimes!

At least then I'd be ok with the facial hair!

Oh soo true! Although I hate the belly fat, etc I consider the facial hair to be my biggest physical nemesis. If I could change one thing about myself (PHYSICALLY) it would be that. It affects so much of my life and my confidence!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

OH to be a boy sometimes!

At least then I'd be ok with the facial hair!

Oh soo true! Although I hate the belly fat, etc I consider the facial hair to be my biggest physical nemesis. If I could change one thing about myself (PHYSICALLY) it would be that. It affects so much of my life and my confidence!

I have to shave my whole face every day. :embarassed: I also have hair on my back, chest, abdomen, and arms. The hair on top of my head is so thin that you can see straight through to the scalp in some places. I have skin tags all over my neck, and dark patches of skin under my arms and between my thighs. All of this doesn't even scratch the surface of how this horrid disease affects my life every day. I HATE THIS DISEASE!!! I wish someone would hurry up and definitively discover the exact cause already, so that we can eliminate it altogether instead of merely treating the symptoms.
  • scleesh
    scleesh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 40 lbs so far. Got 60+ more to go. CARDIO / STRENGTH. It's hard and slow but Im doing it. PCOS usually makes you grave carbs and I do. I LOVE them but just realized I don't eat them like I used to. I concentrate on just trying to eat better then I used to and make it my normal. I can't live without my carbs so I do eat them. I work out alot so need them for energy as well. Just try to stick with the dark carbs...grains. No white carbs. Good Luck to you. Try 30 day shred to begin with. I lost 15 inches with it. Not as much weight but built muscle.

Now if you know how to get rid of this extra hair that would be apprieciated. LOL
  • tanlynch
    tanlynch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this was probably mentioned, but I've had success with low carbing. Once I was diagnosed with PCOS (and diabetes), I saw a nutritionist for help. She suggested 15g carb per snack, 40-60g carb for meals spread amongst 3 items if possible. It melted off in the beginning. It's hard to stick to, but it did help. Good luck to you!
  • kandyjay
    kandyjay Posts: 265
    Options
    bump for later.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in Jan '11 with PCOS. I was put on Metformin, but that's not why I've lost weight IMO. I'm also on birth control. Pure dedication to watching what I eat, portion sizes are important, and exercise. Keep at it, it will happen for you! Good luck!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!