stuck. frustrated.

Options
I've been going back and forth between the same 3-4 pounds for weeks. up and down, up and down. I'm beyond tired of it and ready to give up. GRRRRRRR!!! Any advice to get things moving again?

Replies

• ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I frequently get stuck in the same loop. I find that the answer is to change *something*. Also, be sure you are meticulously documenting what you eat.

I just took a quick peek at your diary. You might try substituting some *real* food for some of the processed foods you're eating. Your calores are very low, but you don't seem to be eating a lot of nutrient-dense foods.
  • kerri_thing_1
    kerri_thing_1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i am also stuck in the same rut. have tried lowering/raising calories, changing exercise but still the same. :o( very frustrating when you are trying so hard
  • auddiejo
    Options
    Ooh I am the same way. The whole month of February, I've been 'limboing' between 2 pounds. I didnt' think I would plateau until after I had lost a bit more weight but just my luck, I lose 12 lbs and it's like my body refuses to lose anymore.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Giving up won't get you any further in your journey.
    Would it really be worth going back to how things were, or perhaps even worse?
    Would all of the work that you've put in be worth throwing away?

I think not.

Try assessing your food diary and WHAT you are putting in your body for calories. It's good to be under, yes, but it's also VERY important to be eating food with a lot of nutritional value.

Also, have you been putting in your regular fitness? Try mixing up your routine and trying something different.

If you're only at 1200 calories, try increasing your caloric intake. (That took me out of an 8 week plateau).

Best of luck.

Edit;; I peeked at your diary. I really suggest having food that has more nutritional value and also try fitting in a little fitness if you can. Even five or ten minutes.

YOU CAN DO THIS! :) NEVER GIVE UP AND ALWAYS KEEP THE FAITH.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    stop eating bagels lol... idk ive read a bunch of articles that prety much state if you aren't a marathon runner you don't need to eat bagels... try oatmeal, or fresh fruit, or some greek yoguart for a week
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

Eating less than 1200 calories is a good way to ruin your metabolism.
  • Kelly_S
    Options
    Try to eat more - but stuff your body can digest easily and use as real fuel: fruit, nuts, protein, veg. And perhaps try and new form of cardio? This got me through a few ruts. If you normally run, try rowing.
  • ricosuavee123
    Options
    Change your workout completely, try something totally new.
  • limestang
    Options
    I've been stuck to and feel like giving up but I can't. We will get thru this. Hang in there.
  • Drendren
    Drendren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your amazing weight loss so far!
    I've been listening to the podcast Fat 2 Fit Radio, and they have some really practical advice about this kind of thing. Episode 139 discusses this topic-->http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2012/02/fat-2-fit-139-breaking-those-nasty-weight-loss-plateaus/
    Hope this helps!
  • latinabubbles
    Options
    I've been stuck the same way all week. Couldn't budge and trying desperately to hit the 20 pound mark. Very frustrating. Sometimes I find that if I add more calories and eat more of what I think I "shouldn't", weight comes off. Not sure why that is, but it helps. I'm half a pound away from 20 and about ready to scream. I think I'mma try an exlax... LOL LOL
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    That's a tougher one than usual because looking at your diary, you're doing really well. I see you are eating fairly clean, drinking lots of water and keeping your sodium down.

The only two things I see:

1) Your calories are low - I would try meeting your 1200 every day. You're never that far under but still, 1200 is imo the lowest reasonable limit for a normal person. You could try eating at maintenance for a week (which in your case would be somewhere around 1700 I'm guessing), or you could try zig zagging, 1400 one day, 1000 the next etc.

2) I don't see any exercise logged. Starting a workout routine, particularly strength training, will help boost your metabolism.

Otherwise it may just be one of those damned inexplicable plateaus. I once had one that lasted 2.5 months no matter how much I tried to change things up. The body is a weird thing sometimes, such a complex and chaos-based system. You may need to just put your head down and push on through. Staying off the scale and using different metrics (like tape measure or photos) as a measure of success can help with the frustration.
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know this is a contentious issue, but I'd eat more. Are you working out? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You're eating too few calories, never go under 1200 and do you work out at all. Eating that little will slow your metabolism. The object of the game it to eat enough, often enough to speed up your metabolism so that you burn calories more efficiently.
  • lchovet
    Options
    Never eat less than 1200 calories, especially if your exercising. All the days I saw in your diary were under your calorie goal.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i agree about the 'real' food - i would try to squeeze another snack into your day aswell - that would bump up your calories, but try to make it balanced.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've hit my plateau, and I've got 50 more pounds to go. I'm getting frustrated, but I'm not giving up. I've been more active in this last month and a half than I've been in years! I'm going to keep plugging away, and maybe add some apple cider vinegar to my diet.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I would be curious on your work out program.
    That bagel seems to have lots of calories for little nutrients.
    I would not give up if I was you.
    All the work you have put in would go to waste.
    I try things listed above by the others.
    Good luck and hope you get through this.
    If you are working out, are you losing fat and gaining muscle?
    Try measuring inches and see how that turns out.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Changing my diary to a 30% carbs, 30% fat, 40% protein ratio and upping my cals to 1400 a day helped me.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck right there with you!! So frustrating....