Bananas?

Options
Why do people tell you to not eat bananas if you want to lose weight?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They have a decent amount of calories and sugar... But if you're monitoring calories, I don't see why it's a problem.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    It is a fad. A banana is not any worse for you than an apple, a guava, a mango.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    They are pretty high in calories for a fruit. I try only eating half of one instead of the whole thing.
    But like someone said, if you are logging it, it wont hurt.
  • Krister0506
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday, I do not believe that it is bad for you. Plus if you are exercising it is a great source of potassium, it has made a huge difference for me. I used to get cramps in my legs every night and they have stopped.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think it's bollox I eat a crap load of banans and I'm still losing weight
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    Its because it has a higher Glycemic Index Rating then other fruits.

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bananas are great for you!
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas almost every day, they are a low GI food, which means they will not raise your blood sugar levels sharply and then drop leaving you hungry again. Just my .02 :smile:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The same reason they tell you not to eat beef or bacon or corn or anything else. And pretty soon broccoli will cause cancer. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1-2 bananas almost every day and it hasn't had any negative effect on me.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They are high gi, carb, and full of sugar (albeit natural).
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    Bananas are wonderful. My oatmeal would not be complete without one.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Because people are dumb. They are high in sugar and calories but nothing you can't fit into a normal "diet".
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I :heart: bananas
  • edmoulaison
    edmoulaison Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh, the anti potassium diet. "Eat as much as you want, whatever you want, just cut out bananas and the weight will melt away."
    LMAO!!!
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat bananas because of the high calorie content. However, with logging my food and generally trying to eat healthy bananas are a great snack that fills me up.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Because people are crazy and thinks carbs and sugar will kill you, even if they come from fruit that is packed with nutrients.

I've shed over 130 pounds, dropped my body fat from 56% to 22%, have a 26.25" waist on my 5'10" frame, and eat at least one banana every day.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Its because it has a higher Glycemic Index Rating then other fruits.

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html

This...I try to eat a banana in the afternoon when I'm looking for something sweet. It helps raise my blood sugar enough to get through the afternoon without crashing. This morning though I had one with breakfast with whole grains. It was the pick me up I needed to get started today.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat em every day and i lost 3 pounds last week! I don't consider eating fruits or veggies ever a bad thing. I log it just like anything else and if it fits in my calories then i go for it.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    They're about 90 calories, high in potassium and have about 3 grams of fiber (in a small-ish banana). They're not bad at all. They're actually pretty darn good for you as long as you log them.