Heart Rate Monitors

Options
i keep equating these with digital food scales, only for calories going out. i feel like if you know exactly what is going in, you should know exactly what is going out. and thus make your diet and exercise program much more effective for weight loss and maintenance.

that being said, i'm kind of broke right now and can't afford a super fancy one. however, i will be getting some money back soon in the form of a tax return check. hubby and i have each decided we get $100 of fun money (maybe a little more depending on if we get a low income credit or a student credit or both) and i've decided to use mine to invest in myself with some gadgets to help me with weight loss. a couple of DVDs and a heart rate monitor are what i've got in mind.

any thoughts, recommendations, 'do not buy!' warnings, etc? i found one on amazon.com for about $30 that i was thinking of getting, it's a watch and chest strap. the only problem i'm finding is that it doesn't say how big the chest strap is and there's a review from a man saying they only make one size and it wouldn't fit his chest... and at 270 pounds my chest is probably as big or bigger. band size on my bra is 44.

i'm looking into doing my own research on this as well, but i figured getting first hand experiences is much better than reading reviews on a product page. :)

Replies

• dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 off amazon i think it was $80, i've had it for 2 months and i think it was a great investment. The chest straps came in 3 sizes i believe. and for workout DVDs i bought Jillian Micheals 30 day shred at walmart for $10 its a 20min workout, but it kicks your *kitten*! otherwise i have zumba-which is so amazing (i have DVDs and wii) if you like to dance! Hope this helps a little :smile:
  • big_eye
    big_eye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Can you say exactly why you need a heart monitor? Sometimes taking pulse rates at rest and at activity gives you an idea on how active your heart is...

You can get an automatic Blood Pressure monitor that gives you heart rate as well for around 50 $$$, and again you can measure your cardiovascular system at rest and then after activity/exercise... these monitors are designed to keep a history as well, but documenting readings help and once you have faithfully monitored your Blood Pressure a dietician or RN or even GP can help you get on track to a healthier heart...

If your purchase is for building a "healthy heart" I would consider monitoring your BP(Blood Pressure), as your BP is a significant reading of your heart rate and cardiovascular system...

Hope this helps

I
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I just got my Polar Ft4 from bodytronics.com and used a coupon code POPO based off another recommendation on here - (end cost including shipping was less than $60) - it came within a week. The accuracy was surprisingly close to what the gym equipment was giving me for calorie burn, and it picked up the transmitter without issue. Since I couldn't track resistance/strength training, it's really nice to see what I'm really burning.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i want to use the heart rate monitor to track heart rate/calories burned through both strength training and cardo/aerobic training. because i have no way to check my heart rate at its peak during the exercise (esp during 45 mins of cardio), i really don't know whether to trust MFP or the machine or the multitude of websites out there that simply base it on my age and weight. i figure since i measure my meats and cheeses i should measure my elliptical and treadmill time too!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    I purchased my Polar FT7 at Best Buy because I had accumulated some certificates through my Reward Zone points program. I love it - I use it for EVERYTHING!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat with wanting a HRM so I have no advise there. BUT I will suggest some DVD's. I have been rotating the following Jillian Michaels DVD's and LOVE all of them. You will get a hell of a workout with them. 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones (weight work) and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (cardio). I went to Wal Mart and found a combo pack that had the No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and a set of 1lb weights for 14.99. I got it mainly because it was cheaper than buying the DVD's separately. The 1lb weights are worthless to me, I use 5lb weights. But it was still a great deal. And they were not in the sporting goods section, they were over by electronics! I am saving up for a Polar FT4. I have $30 in Amazon credit and trying to get about $10 more to offset the cost.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    Options
    for videos, my collection is fairly limited, and suggestions on that are very welcome as well! i don't know how much access i'll have to fitness equipment from august 2012 to august 2013, so stuff i can do at home will be great.

i have the billy blanks "boot camp' collection (4 DVDs + resistance bands), a few leslie sansone 'walk away the pounds' dvds, which were great when i first started and got winded walking quickly from one end of the house to the other but a year later don't really do much for me, and a yoga for beginners DVD which i've almost got memorized!
  • xoxosarahjo
    Options
    I purchased my Polar FT7 at Best Buy because I had accumulated some certificates through my Reward Zone points program. I love it - I use it for EVERYTHING!

I also have the Polar FT7 and absolutely LOVE it!!!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    Options
    polar seems to be the brand to get... i think that's the brand that works with the treadmills and elliptical in the gym here.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Polar FT7 a week or two ago and I love it. I got mine at Target for $110 because I didn't want to wait on the mail, but I have heard you can get it cheaper on Amazon. I love it!

As for workout video's, I am currently doing Jillian's Body Revolution $134.95 after shipping and taxes, but a close friend said that Walmart has a ton of Jillian's Dvd's on sale right now for $10 each or lower. She got a kit today with 2 Jillian Dvd's and a set of 1lb weights for $10. I highly recommend Jillian or Zumba. They are both awesome!
  • pandie147
    Options
    I just purchased a Polar FT4 in pink and I love it. It give a more accurate count on what I am burning. I also had to do some research as I thought they were pretty pricey but I found a website that had them for a really great price. I went to http://www.bodytronics.com and got it for a little under $70.00 including shipping and recieved it within a week.

I am currently using the insanity program and xbox Kinect "Your Shape" with "Dance Central".
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I too am in the process of buying a heart rate monitor watch. I have done lengthy research on it and am going to purchase a Polar. I can't remember the exact model number but it tracks your heart rate and calories. Make sure the one your looking at tracks calories because some of the cheaper ones don't. I found a cheap one at Academy sports for 40.00 that tracks calories as well but I'm going with the Polar for 20 bucks more. They have been around since the beginning and have a great reputation. I'm getting excited to be able to track my calories doing workouts on DVD. I just started doing Bob Harper's Inside Out Method and it is kick butt! I only did 30 minutes so I am wondering how many calories I burned....my watch is going to help me with this! I am going to buy the Jillian workout for 10 bucks at wal-mart and see how that is since a lot of people are doing it on this site. Good Luck!
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i want to use the heart rate monitor to track heart rate/calories burned through both strength training and cardo/aerobic training. because i have no way to check my heart rate at its peak during the exercise (esp during 45 mins of cardio), i really don't know whether to trust MFP or the machine or the multitude of websites out there that simply base it on my age and weight. i figure since i measure my meats and cheeses i should measure my elliptical and treadmill time too!
    i just got my ft4 and its awesome! a 30 min on treadmill says i burned 180 cals but my HRM says i burned 380!!! HUGE difference for me. that being said u still need to subtract ur bmr from the cals on ur hrm before adding the exercise to mfp. shop around and i would definately recommend going for a polar. good luck!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've got a polar FT7 and love it.

One word of advice, do some research around HRM and calculating calories for weight lifting. You will find that there really is no good way to do this. Weight training in the form of circuits will work, other wise, you're always going to get a reading that is higher than actual. It's those pesky rest periods that throw off HRM's. Since circuits have very brief rest periods, you get a more accurate reading.

Also, with weight training, you have a sudden exertion that causes your body to react quicker than if you are doing some form of cardio workout. So the sudden adjustment your body makes will be misunderstood by a HRM.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Whatever else you do, don't buy an HRM without chest strap. Yes, it's more pricey with the strap, but the watch-only monitors stop working the moment you're starting to sweat. Extremely handy for monitoring your workout heart rate... :noway:
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i just got my ft4 and its awesome! a 30 min on treadmill says i burned 180 cals but my HRM says i burned 380!!! HUGE difference for me. that being said u still need to subtract ur bmr from the cals on ur hrm before adding the exercise to mfp. shop around and i would definately recommend going for a polar. good luck!!
    I'm curious, what are you doing on the treadmill? Walking, slow jog, medium jog, run?

My first thought was that your HRM was way off ... but then 180 calories for 30 minutes seems low. But in the end it depends on what you are doing. 380 is probably more accurate.

Unfortunately, I see the opposite affect. Did 65 minutes on the elliptical. The machine read 1021 and my HRM read 949. I went with the HRM since it was lower.
  • roadworthy
    Options
    Polar FT7 owner here. I was a bit unsure about spending the money on something like this but I have to be honest. I absolutely love it. I don't have any regrets, I just wished I had bought one sooner. MFP calories in the database were sometimes a little less but more often a lot more than what I am actually burning.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I've got a polar FT7 and love it.

One word of advice, do some research around HRM and calculating calories for weight lifting. You will find that there really is no good way to do this. Weight training in the form of circuits will work, other wise, you're always going to get a reading that is higher than actual. It's those pesky rest periods that throw off HRM's. Since circuits have very brief rest periods, you get a more accurate reading.

Also, with weight training, you have a sudden exertion that causes your body to react quicker than if you are doing some form of cardio workout. So the sudden adjustment your body makes will be misunderstood by a HRM.

Thanks for that info! Also may help me realize something else i was wondering! Thanks
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was just about to post the same topic. So a polar it is for me too. Now to save my money! Woohoo
  • k0nfyo0zed
    Options
    thanks all for the feedback! i had been looking at polar, because they are a big name and what are compatible with the work out equipment i have access to, currently. it looks like that might be the brand to go with. :smile:

i was like I WANT TO GET ALL THE THINGS! a year ago when i started this, when it came to fitness gadgets. i figured if i spent all the money i would make it work. but i told myself "if you can make it a year with the stuff you already have, then you can spend more money on it"... my 'weight loss' anniversary is march 15th. i know 30 pounds isn't much to show for a year, but i've had a lot of ups and downs including getting married, moving, quitting my job, and lots and lots of travel. i'm in this for real and the fact that i haven't quit after lots of set backs shows me that. so i'm willing to spend the money.