Diet Coke vs tea with stevia

Options
Okay, I'm trying to stop Diet Coke. I believe it's preventing me from losing weight, as well as eroding my stomach lining. I'm drinking some tea with stevia. Any thoughts out there as to whether the same issues of stevia "faking" the body into holding onto weight like the other artificial sweeteners may be doing?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Diet coke doesn't really have a negative effect on weight loss. I don't buy into the thought that it makes the body hold onto weight or makes one crave more sugar.

I drank diet coke everyday when I lost weight before.

If you want to stop drinking diet coke the tea is fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Like I said, I don't believe artificial sweeteners "fake the body into holding onto weight" or making one crave more sugar later.

But, do what works best for you. make sure you are still drinking your water.
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    Before I started my diet I consulted on this and out of ALL the sub. sweetners I was told this has the least amount of side effects. I have been using about 3-6 packets per day and I have lost 31 lbs. since Jan. 9th. I say do it!
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Okay, I'm trying to stop Diet Coke. I believe it's preventing me from losing weight, as well as eroding my stomach lining. I'm drinking some tea with stevia. Any thoughts out there as to whether the same issues of stevia "faking" the body into holding onto weight like the other artificial sweeteners may be doing?

the salt in the DC isnt going to help.
    try herbal teas, if you want them sweet add a bit of natural honey, its good for you in small amounts and if you track the calories its not so bad. I drink water, Hot lemon water, herbal teas and sometimes tea with a bit of milk.

good luck and smart for you for giving up the fake sugars, they are not your friend.
  • mallory3411
    Options

the salt in the DC isnt going to help.
    try herbal teas, if you want them sweet add a bit of natural honey, its good for you in small amounts and if you track the calories its not so bad. I drink water, Hot lemon water, herbal teas and sometimes tea with a bit of milk.

good luck and smart for you for giving up the fake sugars, they are not your friend.

I could be wrong but I don't believe there is any PROVEN studies for the effects of sweeteners. Of course natural is far better and not processed is far better but in moderate amounts sweeteners are fine. The sodium in pop isn't much to worry about unless you are drinking 10 cans a day... at 20mg per can it isn't a lot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No difference between the two. Both contain processed artificial sweeteners, and if you really believe that's harming your weight loss ability (it isn't) than any form of artificial sweetener will do the same thing. I've lost 54 pounds drinking diet soda, it hasn't done anything to prevent me from losing weight. Calories in, calories out, that's it.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    Let me quantify my Diet Coke addiction...about 100oz per day is my typical consumption....
  • mallory3411
    Options
    Cut back if you feel the need to. Both things are artificials sweeteners. Are you not drinking water since you are drinking so much pop?

Try to alternate at first - diet coke, than water, than diet coke etc.