Science and Fact Quoting naysayers go away WE CAN DO IT!

Options
2»

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Not missing the point - I know it was made to encourage people, but we cannot continue this culture of downplaying science just to give a cute anecdote to make people feel better. Evidence-based science already has a poor reputation in the minds of many people who benefit from it daily. It's the kind of mentality that keeps people running back to the "health" store for the latest BS weight loss supplement, or try the dangerous "cleanse" they read about on the internet. It is possible to encourage people and not promote ignorance at the same time.

Agreed... I think it's a tragedy that people say science is bull****. They turn to some "all natural" whatever gimmick rather than trust the research that has made it possible for people to live longer, healthier lives. Every medical breakthrough is based on that sound science that people are so quick to dismiss. We can beat many types of cancer because of science. We can do brain surgery because of science. We can do organ transplants because of science. We cannot make you immortal, but we are doing much better than we were in the days of leeches, bleedings, and the word "abracadabra" to keep the black plague away.

P.S. I'm not saying natural remedies are bad, but many are gimmicks.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Surely you can't be serious?

Paper weighs more than weight thus my psychic senses are telling me he is serious.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I was going to put this in my .gif string in the Angelina thread, but it seems appropriate here too.

4zyc7s.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I am serious.. and don't call me Shirley

This was the correct answer.

And /thread.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself, please.
    http://www.project2061.org/publications/sfaa/online/chap1.htm

Science shows us what we can do. It shows us how the world works and how we can utilize it for our benefit.

double_trek_facepalm.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    c359dc20a4ba5430.jpg.jpg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I tried science one time and it made me grow tentacles. No thanks! Pseudoscience all the way from now on.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • msfayzer
    Options
    Came here to say this. This so called "fact" makes me crazy!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

I am serious.. and don't call me Shirley

This was the correct answer.
    I thought 'pants' was the correct answer.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh dear god this is a frightening tread.

and I guess Jesus walked with Dinos
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Don't be ridiculous. He RODE them.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    More sophisticated aerodynamic analysis shows that the bumblebee can fly because its wings encounter dynamic stall in every oscillation cycle.[34]

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/March00/APS_Wang.hrs.html

;)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Don't be ridiculous. He RODE them.
    431306643_528c65a6b3.jpg
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ancient-aliens-it-was-aliens.jpg

This guy is ....AWESOME. We totally laughed ourselves sick the first time we saw him.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Please don't imply that science and 'facts' are preventing you from doing anything. The overwhelming aversion to science on these boards is discouraging enough already...

I am a scientist. If I quote studies and 'facts' to questions here, it is because I like to think that education is an ally in weightloss success, not a hindrance or an excuse. I'm not a 'fact-quoting naysayer'. I'm a scientist attempting to provide you with the evidence to either support or refute a concern you have expressed on the boards. To wit - there is no scientific study in existence that suggests that YOU can't lose weight or achieve your goals.

And btw, no 'science' ever suggested, indicated or proved that bumblebees can't fly. It's a myth.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    someone saw disneys, A Bee Movie...

i get where he is coming from though.