RUNNERS...I need ALL the advice you can give me!!!

Options
I'm begging all of you naturally gifted runners to share any tips for building endurance during runs, how to breathe, etc. (any tips you can share!). I'm a natural born walker...I can walk my *kitten* off & enjoy it very much, however I've been trying to re-teach myself how to run but am not having luck building any type of stamina. I'm not sure if I'm breathing properly, but I end up so winded that I can rarely go more than about a minute at a time. (I have made some progress- in the beginning I could barely tolerate 30 seconds) I'm not sure if I'm psyching myself out & hyperventilating during my breathing....so afraid that I'm going to pass out, or ???? I have no clue.

I'm just hoping that you can share any tips you can that may help me build those skills. Especially if there are any out there that started off like me but now are more efficient in their running skills. I really want to get over this & I know that I'm at least benefitting from my efforts; in a 6-8 mile brisk walk, I'll attempt to run as much as I can tolerate at every 1/4 mile mark of my walks. Sometimes I'll do a slow, steady jog & other times I'll attempt to do fast sprints. The results are the same; I'm just as winded from a slow jog as I am from the sprints. That's why I'm wondering if it's just me sabotaging my breathing. ??? So confused but want to overcome this hurdle.

Shawn

Replies

• scentexpress
    Options
    bump.. really need you runners to do a Q & A with me before you take your daily run!!! Hello????? lol :laugh:
  • dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner too. Started almost 7 weeks ago. I could barely run a minute. Now I am up to 30 mins and 2 miles. I think the thing I have learned is it is about patience and going slow. I am using a program called Couch to 5k. It is a very nice program. You shouldn't worry about speed at all. I am having this issue right now. I want to pick up my pace but if I do then I can't go as long. You should be able to say little phrases. I think this is the best advise I have been giving. It's not a race...yet. Right now you should only be working on endurance. Its going to take a while to build this up, but keep at it. If I can do this, you can too!

Hope this helps.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Even though you are a proficient walker I'd still recommend doing c25k to help with building up you running endurance. You can always continue to walk after those intervals for additional exercise. Running is just a whole different beast than walking. Good luck!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You may already do this while walking, but breathe through your mouth (not your nose) and breathe naturally. Don't try to take exaggerate and take long breaths and don't try to take very shorts one or you will hyperventilate. Most people may already know that but I didn't at first. I was always told to breathe through my nose for exercising, so changing to mouth breathing helped me tremendously.
  • scentexpress
    Options
    Yes, thank you...the main reasons I'd love to be able to cross over to running more than walking is the fact that I need the cardio challenge plus the fact that I can cover so much more territory by running (along with all the added cardio) in a shorter time frame when my schedule will not allow me the 2 hours I need for an 8 mile walk.

I've heard people talking about the couch to 5k.....where do I access the info. about it. I'd love to find out more!!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Preface by I have for 12+ years, seems like your focused on breathing which is great , controlled breathes are obviously the goal, in through your nose out through the mouth now obviously this becomes near impossible just starting out and as you increase mileage but some techniques to improve your breathing are simple drills to expand your lung capacity,,

fully inhalee till your lunges are full, then either breathe out through a straw or regulate how fast you breathe out making it longer than usual, completely empty your lunges then repeat, NOTE: try this is small cycles at firs as to avoid becoming very light headed ( I do it at my desk )

also make sure you are increasing your volume as well as pace consistently and gradually to avoid getting injured, there are tons of articles on runnerworld.com

feel free to ask me anything you got,

good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who can walk all day long, and fast - people always tell me to slow down! But when it comes to running, it's never been my thing. I started the C25K a month ago, will be starting my 5th week tomorrow, and it's great! You can find the plan online: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And there are a lot of great phone apps, both free or paid, and they give you the prompts of when to walk, when to start jogging, warm up & cool down - the whole bit. Works great - I take my iPhone with me and wear it in an armband, and just listen for my cues of when to start running, and when to start walking. It's a great program, and you can go at your own pace - I walk fast, but I jog slow, at least at this point. I'm not worried about speed, that may come later, right now slow & steady is my thing, and I am improving every week!
  • pgosavi
    Options
    Prior to 2008, I was not a runner and had never run more than a mile whenever I tried on a treadmill. But, that year I ran 1 full marathon, 2 half marathons (official) and several unofficial half marathons just in training for the full marathon.

What helped me were the following:
    1) A Goal: (To successfully run the half marathon) - to provide some real motivation.
    2) A Group: I trained with a volunteer organization called ASHA which raises money to educate children in India. I think that doing this as a group was fun. Also we kept each-other motivated.
    3) A Running Partner: Someone who runs at the same pace as you - however slow is fine. Talking while running (although counter-intuitive) helped to keep the mind off the monotone, the pain, etc. It also helps you breathe normally.
    4) The Stretches: A before-running and an after-running stretching exercize was recommended to avoid muscle fatigue and injury

One important finding:
    There are some particular 'walls' during running that most runners hit. When you hit that wall, you feel very exhausted and unable to continue. However, if you keep pushing through somehow you will find that it will get easier (until you hit the next wall where you can repeat). My walls are around 1 mile, 6 miles, 12 miles and 18 miles.

I hope any of this helps.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    Options
    bump to read later!

I am in need of this info too :)
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you...the main reasons I'd love to be able to cross over to running more than walking is the fact that I need the cardio challenge plus the fact that I can cover so much more territory by running (along with all the added cardio) in a shorter time frame when my schedule will not allow me the 2 hours I need for an 8 mile walk.

I've heard people talking about the couch to 5k.....where do I access the info. about it. I'd love to find out more!!

If no one has already answered this, try c25k.com. I am doing the program as well, and am in my 5th week.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I used a program called "run your butt off". It is similar to couch to 5K in that you start by walking and gradually build up to running longer and longer during your walk until you can run for 30 mins straight. Check it out from your local library. I found it very useful
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like it would be helpful for you to invest in a Garmin, or an app on your phone that uses GPS or a treadmill if you stay inside, to track your pace.

If you feel so out of breath in one minute that you can't continue, you may just be going too fast.

Speed takes time to work up to... try going from your walk to a light jog. You should be able to talk out loud, maybe with a little effort, while doing this. Once you can run slowly for longer, you will be able to work on increasing your pace. I find that using my Garmin really helps me moderate my pace. I can always tell when I'm going too fast because I lose my breath really quickly.

Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump. Starting C25k this week (the NHS one is on iTunes: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx)
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One important finding:
    There are some particular 'walls' during running that most runners hit. When you hit that wall, you feel very exhausted and unable to continue. However, if you keep pushing through somehow you will find that it will get easier (until you hit the next wall where you can repeat).

^^ This is true too. Sometimes, to get through the wall, you just lean forward and focus on putting one foot in front of the other. Try a mantra... something you can chant that motivates you and matches the beats of your footfalls. Don't give up just because you don't feel good after 5 minutes of running, the rush comes when you're done!
  • buttersl
    buttersl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not a natural runner either, I *hated* it but I started slow at the beginning of January 5mph, no incline for 20 minutes and now run 40 without any issues (usually stick to about 30mins though). Start slow and you will build up endurance. It also makes me feel awesome, just 20-30minutes a day and my whole frame is smaller!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When I first started a few years ago, I simply Googled "how to start running", and I found a program that started with a walk/run program. And, in about 6 weeks, I ran 5 miles. Now, I do that routinely. Before that, I could barely run around the block.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I can run, but I too get winded and want to walk. I just started training for 1/2 ironman and my coach is having my run without taking any walk breaks....But you have to go at a pace that you can sustain for 30, 40, or 50 min (or how ever long you want to go.) I started at 5.0 on the treadmill, my girlfriend started at 4.7. This way you are doing a slow, slow jog. The first 10 minutes are ALWAYS the hardest for me, I want to stop and take a walk break. I find that if I push through that first hurdle, I can keep going forever. It has been 4 weeks and I am up to 5.2 mph on the treadmill and my longest run is 75 minutes. ( i have been running 3 times a week)
  • caustin112
    caustin112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am a novice runner - but have gotten a lot of support over on the novice running boards on active.com. Here is some of what has worked for me.

Tip #1: SLOW DOWN. You don't need to sprint. Pick a pace that is maintainable and start there. You should be able to talk and run at the same time.

Tip #2: At first, the breathing thing was hard for me too. But, overtime it will get easier. I started using my strides to gauge my breathing. I am a singer - so I concentrated while I was running to make sure you breath deeply (using your diaphragm) to prevent side aches. Then, I would breath in a pattern, In,In, Out,Out, with two strides. I like the double in/out - so it helped me stop shallow breathing.

Tip #3: Build up your endurance by extending the length you are running each time. A lot of people use the C25k program with success, and this is basically the same thing. Start by walking and running in intervals. Overtime, extend your running time and shorten your walking time. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. I started by walking for a five minute warm up, and then running for one song (on my iPod), then walking for one, etc. Then, next week - I increased it to run for two songs, and walk for one song. It is very effective.

Tip #4: Sign up to run a race! This seems silly, but it works for me. If I am just doing it, to do it, I might lose my motivation. If I know I am working towards a goal, it makes it easier to stick with it. Besides, there are a lot of free training plans that offer a lot of benefit. When I first started I thought I needed to run hard every day. But, with running rest days are extremely important!

Hang in there! And, best of luck! If you want to add me - feel free.

I am training for a half marathon (my first) in May!

Edited to add: I also prefer to run outdoors when the weather allows, and use the app iMapMyRun to track my workouts.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just started running too and I am doing the couch to 5k and it is amazing. Never thought I would enjoy or become a runner but I am. I am hooked. A few things I have learned is like what most said is breathing, something I am still working on. Patience is huge, we all wish we could go out and run 3-4 miles without training but not only could that cause a injury but it is unlikely. Make sure after your warm-up with a brisk walk or something you stretch and then after you exercise you stretch. A personal trainer said the best time to stretch your muscles before a run is when they are warm, so I do my 5 minute warm-up, stop and stretch. So far no injury and I haven't noticed any weird/sharp pains. Hope this helps =)