1200 calories and struggling!

Options
124»

Replies

• CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? The OP has beer, chocolate milk, chocolate margarine and cookies in her diary and you guys are telling her to cut out the BANANAS? This is about a healthy lifestyle. If her calories are too high cut out the cookies and the chocolate. If there is still a problem then maybe let's talk about bananas. Sometimes I wonder if y'all aren't just taking the p!ss as a massive joke...

Note the fact that this post is over 3 weeks old, and her diary from the past week won't be the same as it is a month ago.

I do agree though, eat lots of good food, not small amounts of bad food.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 calories too. I'm 5'8", set at sedentary and 168 lbs. I was so weak and my stomach hurt with hunger all the time. I manually overrode the settings to up my calories to around 1400. I don't think 1200 for a person who is working out consistently is healthy.

I hope the OP is having a better time of it now.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

i'm allocated 1200 calories and i'm struggling, particularly on days where i don't exercise!

help?
    I struggled also when I first started on MFP, then I did a google search on "how many calories do I need?" and based on my age,weight, and activity level it told me that I needed 1300 and now some weight is starting to come off and I don't feel hungry. Worth checking out.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Kosher Dill Pickles will curb your appetite for about 30 minutes with 0 calories...try this it really works...

I'm not a diary looker..but if you are planning to lose weight and add the things you truly like as an every once in a while, you should still be able to fit them into this stage. I've been doing this for 190 days. I'm a volume eater too.

So, volume wise, find foods you like that you can eat huge portions of. I make a salad with diced broccoli, sliced carrots, 1 oz sunflower kernels, one wedge of laughing cow cheese. Then I also pack several sliced fruits -- apple pears, apples, pears, oranges, bananas..whatever you like. For dinner I always allocate about 500 calories because I'm not in charge of that meal. If I see that dinner is going to run me over a bit, I will do some kind of exercise after dinner.

Cabbage is also one of those foods that you can eat a lot of and keep the calories low. In talking to people my age, it comes from being the member of the clean plate club as a child...You can do this..it takes time and research in the beginning but after that, it's only about following through. Kind of like a nice game of checkers...
  • suespottsfletcher
    Options
    think thin protein bar for breakfast. Martins whole wheat potato roll with morningstar spicy black bean burger with granny smith apple, carrots for lunch. Lean protein(3oz)/veg/salad for dinner. Kettle corn 100 calorie snack bag.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Make more opportunities to exercise, even if it's just walking around. I'm also on 1200 when I'm trying to lose weight, but I never eat less than 1600 or so. I just make sure to exercise off those calories (and then some) over the course of the week. Generally I get at least 400 calories/day, but over the weekends a lot of times I will do 1,000+.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    How does this program choose the calorie goal? Mine is pretty high and when I work out it adds the calories burned back into my allowed calories.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 and found that not only was I hungry, I actually gained weight. I upped my calories to 1440 and I've lost 2 lbs just in the past week (actually it was like 5 days in ). My body wasn't getting enough fuel at 1200 calories...

^This I was on 1200 for months. I hardly move, and I wasn't hungry. But, after reading a lot of scientific studies by doctors I decided my brain lungs heart and other organs would appreciate more then that and upped it to 1440 (still on the low side). I've been going over practically every day and I'm still loosing about a pound a week. I'm 5'7 and 129 pounds and very full. Also, eat lots of veggies. If you don't like them plain I recommend sauteing them with some good spices or throwing in some minced ginger. That makes me scarf them down. I've been eating a lot more real unprocessed food lately and have been feeling great. Except for today. Yay fried chicken again.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Adding in a cup of tea with milk in the afternoon has helped me get used to 1200 calories.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary you may want to reconsider bananas and all the bread and biscuits.

bananas are good but you need about 1/2 a regular size banana a day. if you want to eat the whole banana that day, eat half early then the other half later

whats the reason for that?

Yes, what is the reason for that? Besides which, bananas go black if peeled and left for more than about 20 minutes
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary you may want to reconsider bananas and all the bread and biscuits.

bananas are good but you need about 1/2 a regular size banana a day. if you want to eat the whole banana that day, eat half early then the other half later

whats the reason for that?

Yes, what is the reason for that? Besides which, bananas go black if peeled and left for more than about 20 minutes

dont peel the whole thing. cut in half and then peel the half you are going to eat. the other half will stay just fine until later and even until the next day. I have no science as to why, I guess I just got in that habit and enjoy the banana twice in one day without the cals and sugar and carbs of two bananas a day
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Still shocked that people eat 1200 and think its okay.

Oh well.

Looking forward to the "How do I get rid of the skinny-fat look?" Post in3-6 months.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Based upon my "numbers" as run by HelloitsDan and the book, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women," today is my last day on this fruitless, six week, 1200 calorie a day journey in which I have bounced the same four pounds around, up--down--up--down, much to my dismay and frustration.

It doesn't work people. When you don't feed your machine at least enough calories to fuel your resting metabolism, add lifting to your reperatoire, and then ask your body to build muscle, while utilizing your fat stores for energy, you're asking for trouble AND setting yourself up for failure.

According to the author of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women," it takes 2,800 calories to build a pound of muscle.If you're slicing 3,500 calories a week (or more) from your diet while at the same time engaging in a workout program designed to increase strength and build new muscle tissue, from where will you get the 2,800 calories? The author proposes that you would actually lose muscle if you strength trained with a 500 calorie a day deficit.

The author isn't a proponent of the idea of the starvation mode, rather he states that not giving your body enough protein to build muscle, while demanding that your body do so, will in fact, slow your metabolism way down, Oh, you'll eventually lose weight (slowly)--but you will end up, as Dan stated, skinny fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    2 types of people can get away with VLCD and build muscle.

1) genetic freaks

2) obese 2 and obese 3 people.

That's contingent they stay above BMR.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'M skinny fat! And soon to be skinny/in-shape because I'm raising my calories and building muscle. Believe this, folks. I became skinny fat, not because I was overeating, but because I was not eating enough each day.