To Snack, or not to snack, that is the question....

Options
Thought I'd share and see what your opinions are regarding this article. Basically it is advocating not snacking and going back to 3 squares to force your body to use stored fat for energy, and that the claim eating 6 meals keeps the metabolism going can't really be supported.

I personally like my snacks. ; )

What works for you?

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/eat-six-times-a-day-the-dangers-of-frequent-eating/

Replies

• flyingwrite
    Options
    Five well-planned meals works well for me. I think like everything else, we have to take this with a grain of salt. We have to listen to our own bodies.
  • gsettine
    gsettine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say that any set advice/rules on the number of meals or times of day to eat are suspect to anecdotal observations. I myself don't have a set number of meals/eating times a day, I just make sure to stay under my net calorie limit.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like snacking because I enjoy food, and also, I'd get really hungry in between meals.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That is so funny, I just attended a nutrition seminar this weekend where the speaker said the same thing as this article. That snacking is not a godo thing, that if you eat enough of the right things you should not need to snack. He said that snacking or the need to snack is really in the mind not a nutritional benefit. Believe me I left there like WHAT, I like my snacks between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. The funny thing is, the more I thought about it, thats just it, I like it, I dont have to have to have them, more routine than anything else. So I am on a 30 day see if its all in my mind need to snack thing. LOLOL So far so good, had more protien for breakfast this morning and didnt need the snack between breakfast and lunch today...I agree that its what works for you though because you can find a contradiciting article to say the opposite to just about everything. So, try it and see if it works for you...and if it doesnt, I say keep the snack. LOL
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd share and see what your opinions are regarding this article. Basically it is advocating not snacking and going back to 3 squares to force your body to use stored fat for energy, and that the claim eating 6 meals keeps the metabolism going can't really be supported.

What works for you?

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/eat-six-times-a-day-the-dangers-of-frequent-eating/

I have stopped snacking nor do I eat "3 square meals" every day.

I eat ONLY when I am hungry and don't eat when I am not.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The main flaw in the article that sticks out to me is the idea that your body will ONLY burn when you put in and won't burn your fat. What about when you require more energy than, say, your 300 calorie breakfast gave you? OF COURSE you are going to burn your fat. And this article doesn't seem to take into consideration calorie restrictions in diets either.

It also talks about having large meals (particularly it mentions breakfast) and it says "oh just eat a large breakfast and you'll burn off your breakfast and fat between breakfast and lunch"........but what if you're like most Americans with a desk job. You just ate a huge meal and then you go sit on your butt for 4 hours. That doesn't seem logical to me in terms of efficient fat burning.

Personally, I never saw results until I went on a meal plan that incorporated spreading out my meals over the day. So.......my personal experience is that small meals through the day works, but then again I'm doing that on a calorie restricted diet. It might work if I ate 3 meals a day, too, but I would suspect it's the caloric intake and not the meal spacing that has the larger impact.
  • stacyk9
    stacyk9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat low GI which means 7 gms. of protein to 15 gms. of carbs for snacks and 15gms. of protein to 30 gms. of carbs for meals. It seems to work for me and keeps me satisfied throughout the day. And, I have been losing weight, so it's a case-by-case scenario, I guess. Whatever works best for your body. I can tell you, if I didn't have my snacks, I would be ravenous at lunch and dinner and would completely blow it!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to keep my breakfast and lunch on the light side and eat my most substantial meal in the late afternoon/early evening, with no snacking in between. I tried to schedule my meals in many different ways, and I found this pattern the most natural and comfortable for me personally.

I'm the kind of a person who doesn't want food in the morning and I'm not hungry often. If I do try to eat on a six-meal schedule, I end up feeling bloated and like I've had too much to eat (even if my intake realistically wasn't higher than on any normal day).

I think that in the end it all boils down to what works for you, and the calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more than you eat, you'll lose weight. How to spread the intake throughout the day is up to the individual and what feels good for them.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you have blood sugar issues, snack. Otherwise, do what works best for you.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I snack all day long and eat three smaller main meals. I've tried just doing three meals a day and, for me, I tend to over eat during those meals because I get really hungry in between so it was harder for me to control the portion sizes.
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do have a snack almost everyday around 2- 230. It doesn't matter what time I eat lunch I always get a craving. I also used to make coffee at that time too now I just drink a water and try to drink instead of eating.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you're under your basal metabolism, it doesn't matter when you eat, you'll burn the fat.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

What works for you?

I have stopped snacking nor do I eat "3 square meals" every day.

I eat ONLY when I am hungry and don't eat when I am not.

This. I eat when I'm hungry. Some days that's every 2 hours, some days every 6.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it depends on the person. No, it doesn't speed up your metabolism or anything, but it can keep you from feeling hungry between meals, therefore keeping you from eating a ton. But, some people find that they eat too much when they snack.

Personally, I have to eat several times throughout the day. I take a medication that makes me have NO appetite (I sometimes don't take it if I know I'm going out to eat somewhere delicious haha) so if I don't schedule out my meals, I won't eat. It's easier for me to eat little bits throughout the day than to force a whole meal on myself when I'm not hungry.

Just depends on what works for you!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

This^^
    I get light headed if I don't eat for a few hours. I could never just eat 3 big meals. I get full easily, so I just snack all day long.
    As long as you stay under your calorie goal, it doesn't matter how many times a day you eat.
  • Trostlegirl
    Trostlegirl Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely "food for thought"! I am trying to listen to myself more and stop eating by an imaginary rule book that says I should. I do like snacking, but I think a lot of it is out of habit.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

^^^ AGREE 100%

Again I think all these studies say is not one way of eating fits everyone. I personally feel best eating every 2.5-3 hours as soon as I wake up and like to stop eating three hours before bed.

Coming from a family with diabetic deaths from dads side and he being diabetic, my brother bedding one too I tend to agree that it doesn't matter when, how much you eat in a meal but the total amount of calories consumed is the winner for fat loss or weight gain.

I don't really believe in the whole eating to lose etc. If your gaining on a 2000 calories diet, not eating exercise calories and working out consistently while having a good balance in your diet then reduce to 1950... Still not losing go down to 1900.