I'm finding it really hard!

Options
So I know i've only been on this for 2 days, but before i joined this i've had problems trying to cut down on calories because i'd have a healthy breakfast, and a fairly healthy lunch, then i'd start eating biscuits or crisps and that's when i start putting the calories on, does anyone have any tips on how i could stop myself from eating these foods :3?

Replies

• Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you eat high calorie bad foods later in the day? Are you bored or are you really hungry? What types of food do you have for Breakfast and Lunch? Are they keeping you satisfied throughout the daytime?
  • abibearxo
    Options
    Do you know why you eat high calorie bad foods later in the day? Are you bored or are you really hungry? What types of food do you have for Breakfast and Lunch? Are they keeping you satisfied throughout the daytime?

it's because i'm hungry really, i don't eat when i'm bored! for breakfast i have a bowl of alpen with a banana or an apple, then for lunch i'd either have a ham, chicken or cheese sandwich with an apple and a few biscuits or quavers
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    im exactly the same as you, so far iv just powered through and tried to push the cravings out my mind. i have muller light yogurts and i tell myself i can have one inbetween lunch and dinner so i have something sweet and tasty to look forward to.

my mum bought me weightwatchers cookies that come in a 2cookie portion. im yet to even look at them because theres probably a downfall to them too lol i am annoyed that she bought them because she knows i have a sweet tooth and have been doing well so far! glad i found this site for support :)
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If it's just because you're hungry then maybe think about not having bad temptations near you to eat. Have healthy snacks to hand or make meals a head of time so you can whip something up quickly if you're super hungry. I tend to eat 5 times throughout the day to make sure i don't get so hungry i wanna eat everything in sight, I also don't keep any processed / sugary foods in my house cos i know i would eat them if i had a weak moment.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    So I know i've only been on this for 2 days, but before i joined this i've had problems trying to cut down on calories because i'd have a healthy breakfast, and a fairly healthy lunch, then i'd start eating biscuits or crisps and that's when i start putting the calories on, does anyone have any tips on how i could stop myself from eating these foods :3?

If you are eating these at home can you throw them away? Are there others in your house that need to eat them? If you can't throw them away have someone else in the house put them away where you don't know where they are. If I see junk foods lying around I crave them - if they are not out in plain view I usually get by without eating them. It's the old "outta sight outta mind" thing.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry and that's when you want to eat, plan for it. Plan to have a good healthy snack with some protein in it. Apples and nut butter; hummus and veggies; Greek yogurt; protein smoothie. The key is to PLAN for that snack. Save calories for it and make good choices. Don't just snarf down chips or crackers (or whatever you called them!) eat something good that will tide you over until dinner. I eat every 3-4 hours and as a matter of fact I'm off to eat my daily apple with peanut butter!
  • lovepink87
    Options
    Protein is the answer. I struggle with the same thing. But i've started eating greek yogurt for breakfast with a little granola. Then snack on things like cheese (but not a lot of it) and tuna and things like that. Try whole grains to fill you up.
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Having a good amount of protein in your diet does help. But let's be honest here, part of it is probably that everybody loves to have some 'yummy' food in their lives. It's not practical to cut it out completely, in my opinion. The key is moderation, not elimination. Another thing that can help is finding foods you find tasty but are healthier. One of my favorite treats I let myself have in the evenings a lot is frozen, sliced, sweetened strawberries from Walmart. There's 150 calories in a half cup and if you add 2 tablespoons of light whipped topping it's only 170 calories total. It's a good sweet snack with some fiber while still being reasonable and pretty filling.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is maybe you can try to explore some options of new, healthier treats for yourself. Try new foods that are low-calorie or low-carb and experiment a bit. Shoot for something you truly can look forward to eating and that will fill you up. Simply cutting out foods you like won't work because you'll miss them and may end up going back to them. What I would suggest is replacing. Replace old treats with new healthier ones. Don't be afraid to explore the world of food to find what works for you. :)