How would you log this?

Options
I am getting ready to work out, I plan on doing 5mins on my treadmill (5mph), then 5 mins on my stationary bike, then 5 on my Gazelle, then 5 mins lifting my weights, and I plan to do 4 reps. So this will be 20 total mins on each machine and weights. Here is the question, should I log each workout separate, or should I just put in 1hr and 20 mins of circuit training?

Replies

• RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would say that logging them seperate would give you the most accurate picture if you dont have an HRM.
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Probably logging separate would be the most accurate, but you want to keep logging easy enough that you WANT to do it! :)

When I do to the gym and work different machines, I just log circuit training. Close enough I think.

Great workout, by the way!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    I would say that logging them seperate would give you the most accurate picture if you dont have an HRM.

Thanks for commenting! I do not have a HRM, I really need to get one, so right now I rely on what MFP says. So if I log them all separate, it says I will burn 797 calories, if I log as circuit training it says I would burn 1341 calories.....quite a difference.
  • liroez29
    Options
    Probably logging separate would be the most accurate, but you want to keep logging easy enough that you WANT to do it! :)

When I do to the gym and work different machines, I just log circuit training. Close enough I think.

There is just such a big difference between the two, if I log circuit training is says I burned 543 calories more then if I log separate, I don't want to put that I burned more then I really did and don't want to short change myself either.....
  • liroez29
    Options
    Well, I am just going to get up and do it now, hopefully I will have some more input on here when I get done! Thanks:happy:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree, log each one seperately. If you were doing circuit training my answer would be different, but this is not circut training.
  • jdavison91
    Options
    Also realize that if you are going to do a similar circuit each time you exercise, MFP will have the previous exercises in a list that you can quickly choose from so you don't have to enter all of the workouts each time, you just have to check the boxes of the ones you did.
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What I would do is go under "My Exercise" and create a tab that includes this circut as Your own that way everytime you do this particular circuit you can just click on "My exerxise" and add "My circuit" and it will log everything accurately for you :-)
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is always the special child when it comes to logging calories burned. Keep it separate when you can.

My rule of thumb is to always log the lowest number of calories ... which 99% of the time comes from my HRM. I'd rather lose out on the calories than inadvertently go over because I thought I had more.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Not intense enough for circuit training. Log individually. Haven't you got time to do more? I'd do more of one so you can get into a good rhythm. i.e. 15 mins run at least and then finish off with the strength. Gives you chance to keep your HR high without change overs. Otherwise a decent 20 min workout I suppose to slip in the day.
  • cheyniemama
    Options
    What I would do is go under "My Exercise" and create a tab that includes this circuit as Your own that way every time you do this particular circuit you can just click on "My exerxise" and add "My circuit" and it will log everything accurately for you :-)

Just about what I was going to suggest! Log them separate the first time to get an accurate count, then just put in circuit training next time and adjust the calories as needed. For instance, if you already know you burn 400 in a half hour doing that, and MFP gives you 350, just change it to 400. But the poster I quoted's idea seems even easier!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    For me it always seems like mfp calculations are over anywhere between 10 and 15% over what it should be. When in doubt I go with the lowest for exercise and highest for food
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    without a HRM, I would go with the lowest MFP.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Log them separately and use the lowest calories. Even using the lowest, I have found my cardio to be higher than MFP has. I now have a HRM to verify. My strength training and Pilates were lower. If you can definitely invest in a HRM.
  • liroez29
    Options
    Not intense enough for circuit training. Log individually. Haven't you got time to do more? I'd do more of one so you can get into a good rhythm. i.e. 15 mins run at least and then finish off with the strength. Gives you chance to keep your HR high without change overs. Otherwise a decent 20 min workout I suppose to slip in the day.

Do more?.....I'm sorry, I though working out for almost an hour and a half was a decent workout......
  • liroez29
    Options
    I agree, log each one seperately. If you were doing circuit training my answer would be different, but this is not circut training.

I thought circuit training meant mixing cardio and strength training together in one workout.....I may be wrong, I am nowhere near a pro at this...lol
  • liroez29
    Options
    Weight lifting is always the special child when it comes to logging calories burned. Keep it separate when you can.

My rule of thumb is to always log the lowest number of calories ... which 99% of the time comes from my HRM. I'd rather lose out on the calories than inadvertently go over because I thought I had more.

Good advise, thanks:happy:
  • liroez29
    Options

Thanks!
  • liroez29
    Options
    Log them separately and use the lowest calories. Even using the lowest, I have found my cardio to be higher than MFP has. I now have a HRM to verify. My strength training and Pilates were lower. If you can definitely invest in a HRM.

I will be getting one very soon, I am sick of not being sure of what I am really burning! Thanks!
  • liroez29
    Options
    For me it always seems like mfp calculations are over anywhere between 10 and 15% over what it should be. When in doubt I go with the lowest for exercise and highest for food

Good advise, thank you!