Water?

jagodragon
jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
this may seem like a stupid question...

can any one out there please tell me how the water intake equates into weight loss? i just don'te realy understand. i mean, i thought weight loss was due to the equasion of calories in versus calories used, and i just don't get how water REALY helps so long as you are drinking a no calorie drink???

please, i would love to understand this better.

Replies

• One thing it does is flush your system, another is make you feel fuller, so you are less hungry..
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    The way I understand it is that you want to make sure your body has enough water so that it won't retain water for fear of not having enough for metabolic processes. Retaining water is not good...you actually weigh more when you are retaining. For me...when I'm drinking 8-10 glasses a day I've noticed my weight is much more stable. I used to fluctuate wildly from day to day...now I consistently loose. I've also heard that sometimes when we feel hungry...our body can actually be in need of water..it just comes across as hunger. I'm definitely not a doctor...this is just info that I have gathered for myself over time. I hope it helps you in your journey! Good luck!
  • Jerid1330
    Jerid1330 Posts: 6
    Water is essential to the process that breaks down food, without it food would not break down as efficiently and more of it would be stored as fat. Water also flushes out sodium which makes a big difference, because it doesn’t take much sodium to retain a whole lot of water, which translates into weight.
  • Also, when you are dehydrated...it makes you feel like you are hungry...and then you eat more..that's not good!
  • If you're drinking a no-cal drink that is sweetened with aspartame... in lab tests it's been shown to slow the metabolism meaning even though a woman your age and your activity level *normally* would burn x number of calories, you eat that number of calories and still gain weight because *YOUR* body isn't burning that much. Choosing water as your beverage is sort of the stepping stone between eating to lose weight and eating to be healthier. I definitely started with trying to lose weight through artificial low calorie sugar free light junk and did lose that way. But thankfully I've progressed to a point where I'm more concerned with good health foremost and weight-loss as a side effect of that. Other side-effects include my terrible daily year-round allergies being GONE, my skin and hair and nails and teeth being stronger, clearer, more radiant and healthy looking, better sleep, better mood, etc. Eat the foods that God made instead of what people make in laboratories and test tubes and it'll help you in all kinds of areas! :bigsmile: Good luck!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Google is everyone's friend.

Health benefits of drinking water

regulate appetite
    increase metabolism
    boost energy levels
    less water retention
    alleviate some headaches
    help reduce blood pressure
    help reduce high cholesterol
    ease joint pain
    decrease in risk of some cancers
    less chance developing kidney stones
    release toxic waste products
    improves skin

From this website.
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-water-drinking.htm
  • trublk003
    trublk003 Posts: 1
    One thing it does is flush your system, another is make you feel fuller, so you are less hungry..
  • jagodragon
    jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
    a woman your age

lol the woman in the picture is my wife..i won't tell her she looks like she belongs here :laugh:
    Google is everyone's friend.

Health benefits of drinking water

regulate appetite
    increase metabolism
    boost energy levels
    less water retention
    alleviate some headaches
    help reduce blood pressure
    help reduce high cholesterol
    ease joint pain
    decrease in risk of some cancers
    less chance developing kidney stones
    release toxic waste products
    improves skin

From this website.
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-water-drinking.htm

{smacks forehead with palm} DUHHH
    thank you...i should have thought to look there, very helpfull :happy:

and thanks so much for all the help every one...it's so great to have the support that every one here gives:happy:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    The way I understand it is that you want to make sure your body has enough water so that it won't retain water for fear of not having enough for metabolic processes. Retaining water is not good...you actually weigh more when you are retaining. For me...when I'm drinking 8-10 glasses a day I've noticed my weight is much more stable. I used to fluctuate wildly from day to day...now I consistently loose. I've also heard that sometimes when we feel hungry...our body can actually be in need of water..it just comes across as hunger. I'm definitely not a doctor...this is just info that I have gathered for myself over time. I hope it helps you in your journey! Good luck!

This is an awesome answer to the water question!! Thank you!!!
  • Water...the actual molecule is also essential to the breakdown of EVERY fat molecule in your body...if you're messing with the system...by (literally) polluting the water you put into the system...those water molecules are less available to be used to smash apart molecules of fat because the body has to 'sort out' what's water...and what's junk put in there to make the tongue and brain happy.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    i knwo that water fills you up so you are less hungry,. but it never satisfies me to the point when i dont want food anymore. thats the problem, and that is the reason i end up drinking soda and coffee, which both satisfy my need for something sweet or tasty. i end up getting dehydrated instead. how do i get myself to drink water throughout the day? any input on this problem would help...thanks!
  • betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    There's some great information here about the importance of water.

I drink a good amount of water, but I used to have a minimum of 32 ounces of Diet Pepsi a day, every day.

I had my last full serving of Diet Pepsi before Memorial Day weekend this year and haven't had any aspartame since. Not knowingly, anyway.

I've noticed a change in my appetite (it's decreased) and a change in my sugar cravings (also decreased) since I cut it out of my life.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Basically, all that has been said is true and good advice but add this...

Hunger and hunger pains are not always food related, as a matter of fact, people over eat when dehydrated because the hunger and thirst signal to the brain are so closely related. Basically, your body asking for fluid is usually mistaken as hunger, and more evident in over eaters or overweight people than normal weight or thin people.

It is a good idea to have an 8oz glass of water as soon as you get up in the morning because the water will hydrate and in return actually energize you. This is especially important for coffee drinkers, or soda etc, anyone who consumes a caffeinated beverage at breakfast time because your system is already depleted and caffeine will further dehydrate you.

I have given up my morning coffee because I feel better if I drink a couple of glasses of water with breakfast, now I still drink coffee, but I don't feel like I must have it or die in the morning.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Drinking ICE water also burns calories, because your body warms it up to body temperature.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    lol the woman in the picture is my wife..i won't tell her she looks like she belongs here
    :laugh: Her face looks thin, but everyone should drink lots of water! Its good for us!
  • a woman your age

lol the woman in the picture is my wife..i won't tell her she looks like she belongs here :laugh:

:laugh: Funny thing is I thought as I was writing that "I didn't actually check to see if it was a man or woman who started this thread... oh well." lol Sorry bout that!
This discussion has been closed.