quality issue: 7 Things You Need to Start Buying Organic

Options
Here's the link I prefer to share with you all.
http://www.rodale.com/organic-benefits-0

Here's the staples which makes me reframe about "saving" money when it comes to quality food

GO FOR ORGANIC MILK AND DAIRIES

"Standard ice cream usually comes from cows fed a steady (and unnatural) diet of genetically engineered corn, soy, and even ANTIBIOTICS and HORMONES linked to certain cancers. ORGANIC DAIRIES ban all of these, and their cows are required to eat a more natural diet featuring organic grasses and hay. This, in turn, creates milk higher in a heart-protecting fat called conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA."

Eggs from Happier Hens

"Did you know that more than 90 percent of the eggs produced in this country come from hens crammed into tiny cages and given feed loaded with antibiotics...
Farmer's markets and buy-direct-from-a-farmer systems, such as community-supported agriculture (CSA) programs, are luring more and more customers in for fresh produce sales. But shoppers want to stick with the sustainable farming theme year-round now, too, even opting for organic in the frozen fruit and vegetables aisle."

CHICKENS THAT DON'T EAT CHICKENS

Industrial chicken production is causing many Americans to lose their appetites. Last year, organic chicken saw a nearly 20 percent increase in sales. As news reports of factory farms feeding their chickens food laced with chemicals, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, and even parts of other chickens grow more common, the U.S. public is shifting toward a more sustainable source.

Replies

• Phat2Thin
    Options
    Great article! Organic is the only way to go no matter what the price. I quit eating out and started making ALL meals at home. Compared to what I was spending in restaurants and eating GARBAGE for high dollars, I can eat organic at home and eat SO much better. I am actually saving money compared to before (eating out etc.)
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely poultry, dairy, grass fed beef.....as natural as possible....also organic fruits just taste sooo much better especially fruits like bananas, mangos, pears...you can tell the difference!
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree.....I'm saving so much money too! I buy a lot moe things at Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Honestly though, you don't really need to buy fruits and veggies that have a peel, i.e. bananas, oranges, etc because pesticides don't get past the peel. Apples, tomatoes, potatoes, berries, etc - things with thin or no peels - should definitely be organic.

Also, not only is it important to buy organic, but it's important to BUY LOCAL! Or at least as local as possible. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Some of the reasons we went Vegan...
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing! I switched to organic meats and dairy about a year ago and never looked back. Organic meat tends to taste better too, imo.