Strength Training Versus Cardio

Options
I need to lose alot of body fat. Right now I am around 46% body fat. Should I concentrate on doing cardio 3-4 times a week or strength train? I am inspired by the lifting posts that I read, however, I don't want to lift on top of the weight I have now and get bigger ( I am not worried about the scale). I want to reshape my body and build muscle. What is the best way for me to achieve my goals? Any sound advice is welcome.

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the book by Lou Schuler New Rules of lifting for Women. Lot of good info!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    do both!
    i lift 3x a week, and do cardio 2 days. ive lost about 20 inches (as of two weeks ago, havent done new measurements yet) since jan 1st, and lost an average of 1.5 lbs/week in january. lifting is great because it strengthens your muscles and helps your weight loss be fat and not lean mass, cardio helps burn the fat so that when you get to your goal you will have a nice firm, well toned looking body
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I need to lose alot of body fat. Right now I am around 46% body fat. Should I concentrate on doing cardio 3-4 times a week or strength train? I am inspired by the lifting posts that I read, however, I don't want to lift on top of the weight I have now and get bigger ( I am not worried about the scale). I want to reshape my body and build muscle. What is the best way for me to achieve my goals? Any sound advice is welcome.

A body starts in the kitchen. Eat healthy and don't deprive yourself of anything that you like to eat, unless your doctor tells you that you can eat certain food to do a health problem. Other than that moderation and portion control is the key. The food pyramid is a good way to eat. Drink plenty of water. Water helps with fat loss.

I'm a fan of cardio. I prefer doing cardio/strength workouts than regular strength and if I can suggest something for you to consider, besides regular cardio that would be cardio/strength workouts.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You definitely won't get bigger if you incorporate lifting into your routine! Muscle burns fat so you will be actually burning fat while building muscle.

I do strength training Mon, Wed. & Friday
    I do cardio on Tuesday, Thurs & Sunday
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i recommend both! i do cardio five days a week, but i add in about 30 minutes of strength training on two or three days. it's important to keep a day of rest in between your weight days - best of luck to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love cardio, still do cardio, but lifting is what really changed my body shape.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Both is good, but I'd suggest an emphasis on strength training. Adding muscle helps burn fat. You may not realize an immediate weight loss as you start adding muscle, but the inches will fall off. And then the fat will fall off.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    If you're gonna start lifting weights, make sure you spend some time learning proper form before it becomes to challenging
  • jaisaansmommy
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, I guess I will be lifting and adding strength training. In the past, I was focused mainly on cardio to lose fat.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Cardio is essential, but strength training is what is actually transforming me. For me, a combination of running and lifting was key. I think it's important to incorporate both, but finding something within each category that resonates with you is key!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Both!!! Yes you can do both at the same time. I recently started Kettle worx. It uses a kettlebell 5 pound weight to start out with, and combines the weight with cardio. A 20 minute workout 3 times a week is suggested.

http://tv.kettleworx.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_v8bzTi_Hw
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Since my first week on MFP, I've done three hours of strength training a week. I do cardio too, but strength training is my priority. I've only gotten smaller and smaller - no worries about getting larger! Strength training is your best bet for preserving as much of your lean muscle mass as possible while you cut fat.

And for what it's worth, I've never plateaued and my weight loss hasn't even slowed down as I get closer to my goal - despite eating more. I mostly credit strength training for that - my metabolism is staying strong instead of slowing way down like often happens to cardio addicts with low calorie intakes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    The best success I have had losing weight was a combination of both strength training and cardio. I still do both, but now that it is a winter with no significant snow here, I can't do my normal winter cardio of cross country skiing. In the summer I cycle for cardio. Strength training I do either bodyweight stuff or weights.