How in the heck do I survive Disney World

Options

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    OK, we are leaving for DW in a few weeks for a WHOLE WEEK, here is the problem:

1. I am on vacation, when I am on vacation I do what I want (well, before MFP)

2. There are so many gooooood and yummy things in the World to eat, how can I resist

3. We are on the dining plan (pre paid for food), I shutter to think of wasting my money by not eating

4. I want to stay within my calorie count, but HOW CAN I (see 1 through 3)

5. I don't want to spoil it for the rest of the family by pulling out my cell phone at every meal and obssessing over calories

6. Usually I take a break from my workout sessions on vacation, but I don't think that this will be possible......

I've lived in Orlando most of my life and have been to WDW like a bazillion times... do not be concerned with burning the appropriate amount of calories... it will be accomplished through walking alone hahaha
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Eat sensibly, but allow yourself treats too. I always tell myself I can have whatever I want on vacation - as long as I've eaten something healthy first AND I keep the treats to a minimum.

This is your life and this trip to Disney is going to be a test in what you've learned on this site. Choose foods wisely, but enjoy this vacation. Don't let a food obsession ruin your trip.
  • MissWendyBird
    MissWendyBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually gain around ten pounds every year during our trip so if you have time, exercise as much as you can and don't worry once you get there. You're there to relax and get away from reality for a few days. Screw the diet and live!
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Be good for breakfast and lunch and don't go too wild at dinner. Walk a lot and hop in the pool. If you know you can have w/e you want (within reason) for dinner, it will be easier the rest of the day.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor. Dance in all the lines. Tell the men in the white coats who show up to ask if you might like a little rest to shoo before the aliens who put dance music in your head show up to vaporize them.
  • seabsgirl07
    seabsgirl07 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing during my trip to Universal Studios, but I did SO much walking that I was able to eat what I wanted and burn LOADS of calories. Just enjoy yourself!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    "Tea Cup Ride"
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney World for a week after Thanksgiving! It was ah-maze-ing! I was concerned about how I'd maintain while there since we were on the dining plan but I did great! In fact, I didn't gain a pound (well, when we first got back I was up a couple of pounds but within two days that all came out as I was retaining a ton of water from the excess sodium and flying). I was back to losing in no time! And I allowed myself to enjoy the food (we did four buffets while there...so you can only imagine!!). For breakfast I ordered a container of my favorite protein shake from Amazon and had it sent down so every morning I had my usual with a fiber bar or an apple. I also ordered (from Amazon) the following for snacks to throw in our bags: Jack Link's beef and cheese sticks, Kellogg's Fiber Bars, Planter's Peanuts/Cashews, and to-go packets of all natural peanut butter. I spent $100 with all the protein and snacks for my family, but it was worth it as I wasn't blowing money on other crap and we had plenty of energy to go from 8 am until midnight or 2 am (we got the most out of this trip!). I ate a dessert with each meal when it was offered as part of our plan...but sometimes I'd be so full by the time it came around that I just split it with my son or something. So, all of this to say...it's definitely doable to maintain (and even lose, I imagine had I made healthier choices and skipped desserts I'd have lost!). I wore a BodyMedia Fit and my average calorie burn was about 2800-2900 cals a day from just walking.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am going to Disney World for my Spring Break in April. I am totally excited, but like the OP, I am nervous. My first issue is that I will not have MFP access while I am there. I don't have one of those fancy phones and the hotel has expensive internet access. Besides I don't want to lug a laptop on a plane. So either I forget about logging what I eat while I am there, or just log it the best I can in a notebook.

I am hoping that the price of the food will stop me from eating too much. I was sort of thinking of eat one "big" meal in the middle of the day (most likely grilled chicken and fries) and maybe some snack later. Does Disney allow you to bring your own snacks into the park? We are spending as much time as we can at Disney World and I will not have time to swim or work out in the hotel. I hope all of the walking alone will count as my workout.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I was there for over a week in January and lost a pound without logging anything. All that walking is no joke. If you won't have time to swim or work out, that probably means you're walking all day long.

I usually ate something small for breakfast - a croissant or something. Then a hamburger or similar for lunch. A snack during the day - a pretzel with cheese sauce, or an ice cream. For dinner a nice meal at one of the restaurants. Basically whatever I wanted, but it wasn't out of hand. Still, I didn't go for the low-calorie choices. You should be fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I recommend the tea cup ride.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Disney pro/freak here!

I've gone to Disney 3 times in the last 3 years (2x on property w/ the dining plan, once without). The only time I actually gained weight was the one week we stayed off property, and did not have the dining plan!
    I'm going to assume that you have the table service DDP and not the QS plan. This means (for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about) that you get 1 Quick Service meal, 1 Table Service meal, and 1 snack. This is a lot of food in one day, especially since for both your QS meal and TS meal you get an entree and dessert - Its a lot of food!!!!
    I'm assuming you have already chosen, and made your ADRs for the TS restaurants? I hope so, because if not, your not going to get into any! March is a very busy month, and the restaurants have been booked 180 days in advance - That means not much of a chance of a walk up at any of the popular places, and no chance in heck of a character meal.
    Anyway.... Have you been to www.allears.net - You can see all the menus on there, even the QS and snack options. This will prepair you for when you get into the restaurant, you will know what you can, and cannot order.
    Where are you staying? I believe there is only one Mod resort that has a gym, however, they all have jogging trails. All of the Deluxe resorts have gyms - Ask for a room near them, and get their early in the morning. Of course you'll have to get there extra early so you can get to the parks 15 minutes before rope drop..... lol
    Lastly, there is so much walking in Disney - Indulge a little! Don't over do it, but you can still have something. Ooh, and if you ask the CM for an extra bottle of water INSTEAD of the dessert with your QS meal, they will be more than happy to do that for you. Good luck, and if you need any help planning, PM me - I love to help people plan Disney Trips!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I recommend the tea cup ride.
    teacuprideno128516514601791250.jpg
  • woman1961
    Options
    all u can do is try ur best to eat things with the least amount of calories im sure ull be doing plenty of walking so ull walk some of it off i wish u the best of luck
  • ktina08
    ktina08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've always had a rough time at Disney. We are going in 2 weeks I'm so excited. I'm packing my lunch every day and all my snacks. But I will splurge on one thing ( I hope just one ) lol I always fall off the wagon on vacation but all I have to worry about feeding is myself my husband can get what he wants and I don't have to cook lol I hope I make it alright
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    http://allears.net/din/dining.htm

For everyone going soon - This will be really helpful! Sad but true, don't go by the menus on the disneyworld website - They are always wrong! lol
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    http://allears.net/din/dining.htm

For everyone going soon - This will be really helpful! Sad but true, don't go by the menus on the disneyworld website - They are always wrong! lol

I will check this out for sure! I am staying at the All-Star movie Resort. My first time staying onsite at Disney World. I am also a Disney freak. I have been to Disney World in 2008, Disneyland in 2009 and Disneyland Paris in 2010. Lots of fun! However I was not watching what I was eating at those times.

We did not order a dining plan at all. I just plan on getting in as many attractions as I can and eat whenever it isn't a super busy time.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Duct tape
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Make healthy food choices as often as possible. Let yourself eat a treat every day. Think of all the walking you'll be doing. Even if you gain a couple of pounds, you'll drop them quickly when you get back. Enjoy your trip!

This is exactly what I did last October...enjoyed everything...gained a few pounds, walked a LOT...took off the weight within a month after I got home. LIVE IT UP!
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    without reading any other posts, here are my thoughts. you can go a little overboard because you are on vacation and besides, think of all the walking you'll be doing. you may even come out even :wink:

above all - have fun! i would kill to go to DW w/my family. enjoy it because you never know when you'll get this chance again.